YouTube Helps You Avoid Music Copyright Issues

HardOCP News

[H] News
YouTube's Creators page has advice on avoiding copyright issues when you upload a video. Pass this on to your n00b friends that keep uploading copyrighted music in their cat videos.

But until now there was no way to know what would happen if you used a specific track until after you hit upload. Starting today, you can search the YouTube Audio Library to determine how using a particular track in your video will affect it on YouTube, specifically if it will stay live on YouTube or if any restrictions apply. You can uncross those uploading fingers now!

Pass this on to your n00b friends that keep uploading copyrighted music in their cat videos.
Hey I did that. They pulled one of my cat videos that had a short part of the indiana jones music in the background.

But how does that not count as fair use? Not for commercial purposes, not reproduced in its entirety or of a quality that would compete with someone wanting to listen to the song, since it was just background music with sound in the foreground, and the song is old as heck.

In fact, youtube can't answer as to what DOES constitute fair use, and how their current automatic system can account for it.

Um kinda hard to avoid copyright strikes cause all these idiot RIAA kinda groups need is just have 1sec thought you violated their rights and they can give ya a strike even if it was total BS.

Yup, it's difficult to define what is "fair use" and how to avoid copyright issues. It seems Youtube has detecting system to check every audio track. Is it to give a warning when detecting even a same track? That's funny!;)

Fair use? there is no such thing as "fair use" to a music company.

Fair use is prety much dead unless you have the lawyers and money to defend your ability to engage in fair use practices.

Their system is garbage for screening. It's just an "autoflag and make the user prove they can use it".

My WoW videos with cutscenes get flagged no matter how many times I point them to the web page that Blizzard put up saying that if it's part of the game, it's allowed.

If the owner of the content allows it's use, why do they still have it in their database to flag in the first place?

Not to mention any video where something in the background plays a few bars of a copyrighted tune.. Flag it, even if it was something random! Since it's a computer that can't do context, it's nothing more than a fascist dictator of copyrights.

Their system is garbage for screening. It's just an "autoflag and make the user prove they can use it".
Which you used to be able to do. They had an automated form, they would unflag the video, and then the ball was back in the court of the copyright holder to review and give a reason why that's not valid for Amazon to then make a judgement on. This was hugely time consuming, and so quite simply you could get any video unflagged, and only ones with hundreds of thousands of views had to worry about followup (which is fine, who cares about some random schmuck's 500 view personal video).

But thats not how it works now. I petitioned using the fair use clause, and within minutes I got a rejection notification that my reason is not valid and no further petitions are possible for the video and its gone. This went so fast, its not possible a human looked at it. It just defaults to "screw you buddy" mode.

What if people don't want help avoiding music copyright issues?

Man this corporate doublespeak is becoming intolerable.

I stream and upload video's to youtube all the time that are monetized. I never have an issue and anytime I get a video that has a song that is questionable Youtube notifies me, I check it and if need be simply remove the Song/monetization. I don't see what is so damn difficult about it.

Back