Grumpy Cat Is Worth $100M

HardOCP News

[H] News
How in the world is Grumpy Cat worth $100 million? Wow! From meme to millions, you know that cat's owner is smiling all the way to the bank.

Not even a multi-million dollar fortune is enough to make Grumpy Cat smile. The Internet-famous cat, known for her perpetually unamused, angry expression, has raked in $100 million over the past two years, Express reported Sunday.

$100 Million?

Cat should be all like.....

Nyan-cat_zps4adb5b0e.png

Well, what they really mean is that 4Chan created a funny meme for everyone to enjoy for free, and the half-witted owner decided to exploit that internet fame and get rich by parading the cat in front of any camera that would pay her... a cat she originally named "Tard" short for "Retard" because of his birth defect, but then tried to backplay that and say it was really "Tart" for tarter sauce.... yeah, sure.

Poor cat probably just wants to relax and be left in peace like all kitties, but if it were my cat I'd at least have given 50% of anything the cat earned and distribute it between organizations like CAPS and the like to find homes for pets and get strays neutered and released or rehomed when appropriate.

Instead, the talentless hack owner is set for life... ugh.

That's amazing and the movie was sort of kids-ish, but was really funny too so yeah, why not as long as Miss Grumps gets treated well and not abused with all the attention.

Well, what they really mean is that 4Chan created a funny meme for everyone to enjoy for free, and the half-witted owner decided to exploit that internet fame and get rich by parading the cat in front of any camera that would pay her... a cat she originally named "Tard" short for "Retard" because of his birth defect, but then tried to backplay that and say it was really "Tart" for tarter sauce.... yeah, sure.

Poor cat probably just wants to relax and be left in peace like all kitties, but if it were my cat I'd at least have given 50% of anything the cat earned and distribute it between organizations like CAPS and the like to find homes for pets and get strays neutered and released or rehomed when appropriate.

Have you considered changing your forum name to GrumpyDucky?

Really though, it's okay to have envy and express it, but I think maybe going on a rant isn't gonna do much more than make people think you might have like an anger management problem.

Hey, the omnipotent markets hath spoken.

Is this real money or internet money? I wonder if she went to the Colorado Department of Internet Money to get her money.

Even if they gave way half of $100M, they're probably still set for life.

I agree with you, though, the whole thing is pretty tacky.

You have to give her credit for monetizing the cat, not even MS can figure out hot to monetize windows but this waitress figured out how to monetize a cat. I would say she is pretty smart and a lot of artists and other people should be looking into how she did it.

Get yer Meme's! Get yer Meme's here! Only $1 !!!

Poor cat probably just wants to relax and be left in peace like all kitties,

Apparently you are not a cat owner.

I don't know a single cat that wants "Peace" their job in life is to f stuff up, and be friendly 10% of the time.

Apparently you are not a cat owner.

I don't know a single cat that wants "Peace" their job in life is to f stuff up, and be friendly 10% of the time.
Pfft!

My two babies are angels, and they get all their energy out as we have a routine with alarms that go off on my phone for feed time, play time, etc. Well adjusted kitties are like engineers, they are most content with a solid routine. I almost have them clicker trained to return their toys to their toy bin when they are done, but its only working when I'm there with treats to make em do it right now. Being paraded around flashing lights, traveling in cars, lots of strangers and loud noises, that's like cancer to cats.

6176321135_3443d2bd20.jpg
6193683592_cea8a2257c.jpg

Basically, cats should be treated the same as a person with Assburger's syndrome.

I am pretty sure you are not on the peta website. Who cares why she named her cat what she did.

I was at a local pecan seller over the weekend, there was a display with different sized plushies of Grumpy Cat, fridge magnets and key chains. I love Grumpy Cat but ugh... :eek:

Pfft!...Basically, cats should be treated the same as a person with Assburger's syndrome.

I laughed really hard at that and now I've got this really amusing image stuck in my head...

The point is sound. My cat only wants attention when it is inconvenient and will not let you do anything else until she gets what she wants. The rest of the time she spends sleeping in odd places (potted plants, random Newegg boxes, inside an empty PC chassis, etc).

Kudos to the owner of Grump Cat as well. That is some effective marketing/capitalizing on a random opportunity right there. Hopefully they won't go broke as quickly as the lottery winners seem to.

What annoys me too is to see the shape the cat is in. With that much money, it could afford a personal groomer, personal chef to feed human quality top-notch balanced raw food, supplements, and everything you can imagine. But instead in many pics when you look at the tear ducts or nostrils or teeth you can see not a penny of the millions upon millions of dollars is making it towards the feline slave. Grumpy has good reason to be pissed.

Hey, if people were willing to give her money for this stupid shit, those people deserve to lose the money. I hate the grumpy cat meme, but it doesn't bother me that the owner exploited it. Good for her.

Well, what they really mean is that 4Chan created a funny meme for everyone to enjoy for free, and the half-witted owner decided to exploit that internet fame and get rich by parading the cat ..........

Half-witted? Are you nuts? No, the owner didn't create the meme. Yes, it's tacky as hell. Yes, the owner cashed in and got rich. If an opportunity presents itself, you take it! Don't tell me you wouldn't do the same. It's the kind of thing we'd all love to happen to us - no effort, big payout.

Hey, if people were willing to give her money for this stupid shit, those people deserve to lose the money. I hate the grumpy cat meme, but it doesn't bother me that the owner exploited it. Good for her.
+1. I personally wouldn't put money into this - grumpy cat gave me perhaps one half-chuckle a few years back. But, if there are people out there trying to give you money, you take it.

Ya except it was not no effort on her part. Millions of memes are created and almost none of them see even 1 cent. Clearly she did something to get people to give her money.

I probably shouldn't have said "no effort" then - I'm not aware how much she did, or did not do, to achieve this payout. At the very least, managing TV appearances and all the contracts is some work. The amount of work put in is irrelevant though - if I could work hard, or not at all, it wouldn't much matter if I was going to get $100 M. Point is, she's not a half-wit, and doesn't deserve criticism for taking the money people were desperate to give her. We're all just jealous - she's basically a lottery winner!

Good for the owner.

Anyone who says they wouldn't do what she did (after she/her cat made their first dollar) is lying.

To be fair, they're probably ok with calling it Tard, but because the cat is in the spot light they'd get a shit-ton of flack for using the term "Tard".

Feel sorry for that poor cat, getting dragged all over the planet for the amusement of idiotic talk show audiences.

Tardar Sauce is a female cat also.. I think it's cool she was able to cash in on this... I would have done the same if we had a pet with a funny look. That movie though.. soooo bad and zero B movie value.

Feel sorry for that poor cat, getting dragged all over the planet for the amusement of idiotic talk show audiences.

Yeah - that would be tough. Cat's don't travel well usually but it really depends on the cat. If She limits the appearances and such I could see there being an ok balance.

Ya except it was not no effort on her part. Millions of memes are created and almost none of them see even 1 cent. Clearly she did something to get people to give her money.
She didn't create a single meme, that's the point.

Someone on 4chan found a picture of the cat online, posted it on the board with a caption, and then the whole community started creating captions for it and spread it across the web as part of the every weekend Caturday shenanigans.

That went viral... she literally did nothing except adopt a cat, call it a retard, and not take very good care of it, even after it made her millions she can't even clean his nose. I brush my cats daily, brush teeth daily (chicken flavored, yum), and occasionally clean their nose, eyeducts, and ears with a q-tip. Half the time grumpy has eye boogers, dried up snot caked up, nasty stuff in ears, and fur looks quasi-matted. Only time I think I saw it clean was for the movie.

Bad Luck Brian should get paid, too.

I'm with Ducman. The lady just cashed in on an internet fad meme. Right place, right time, take the money and run. She didn't do anything at all, the money just fell in her lap, basically.

Not that I wouldn't mind it happening to me, but damn - take care of your golden goose. Groom the poor thing.

She didn't create a single meme, that's the point.

Someone on 4chan found a picture of the cat online, posted it on the board with a caption, and then the whole community started creating captions for it and spread it across the web as part of the every weekend Caturday shenanigans.

That went viral... she literally did nothing except adopt a cat, call it a retard, and not take very good care of it, even after it made her millions she can't even clean his nose. I brush my cats daily, brush teeth daily (chicken flavored, yum), and occasionally clean their nose, eyeducts, and ears with a q-tip. Half the time grumpy has eye boogers, dried up snot caked up, nasty stuff in ears, and fur looks quasi-matted. Only time I think I saw it clean was for the movie.

lol you seem to be completely missing the point, it doesn't matter, so someone stole her cats picture and made a meme she still was able to cash in on it. I on the other hand have never received a cent for any meme I have ever posted or any of the pieces of art I have ever made that people have stolen and passed around the internet. And the very same could have happened to her as well but somehow she figured out how to cash in on the fame. Also many people who get fame don't receive anywhere near 100 million for it many do not even receive anything. Heck a lot of Hollywood stars couldn't even pull that kind of money in in the same time frame. That is pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

This is like arguing about if the slap chop or a snuggie is worth anything or took any skill. The skill was in realizing a possible market and exploiting it, not in creation of the product. Millions of people have their 15 minutes of fame, millions are in the right place at the right time and millions see it whiz right past their heads. She or her agent caught it and capitalized on it.

4Chan discovered a picture of the cat online, created a meme and helped it go viral with tons of hilarious captions for it, and then the woman cashed in on it.

Completely and utterly wrong. Congratulations. Tardar Sauce's owner's brother posted two pics of the cat to reddit /pics and then it blew up from there.

Back