Plan V Uses 9-Volt Batteries to Recharge Your Smartphone

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are like the most of us who has a smartphone with all of the bells and whistles, you are constantly running out of power, usually just at the worst possible time. Maybe it’s time for you to pick up a ‘jumper cable’ for your smartphone called Plan V. :cool:

Flintu also took inspiration from cars, which use jumper cables rather than a spare battery in the trunk when they’re in need of some juice.

Seems hugely wasteful when there are excellent affordable lithium battery backup solutions available.

You can pickup a 10,400mah backup battery for just $16 (promo code 7682DUS6): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D76X5LK/

To put that in perspective, a 9 volt battery typically has about 300mah capacity, or about 35 times less, and is one time use.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seems hugely wasteful when there are excellent affordable lithium battery backup solutions available.

You can pickup a 10,400mah backup battery for just $16 (promo code 7682DUS6): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D76X5LK/

To put that in perspective, a 9 volt battery typically has about 300mah capacity, or about 35 times less, and is one time use.

Well to be fait a better comparison is V*Ah rather than just Ah since 9v batteries are a higher voltage... That said I completely agree with you. Especially given the price of 9v batteries these days.

I don't have a smart phone to try it on but I've got a charger that can use AA 9V AC or a cig lighter for about $10. I've probably had it for close to 2 years now.

This is more compact though.

I can't think of anywhere I would have this with me, but not an external battery, wall charger, or car charger.

Who has all these 9V batterys lying around? It seems anytime I actually need one they don't exist in my house, much less my office.

That is going to work out very expensive in 9volt batteries. I just have one of the backup batteries Ducman69 has mentioned. Works well when you know you are going to be away from the mains for a couple of days.

This is not about efficiency, its about having a way to charge on demand almost indefinitely when you don't have access to any other power source. This belongs in a 'bug out bag' or a emergency kit in a car.

This is not about efficiency, its about having a way to charge on demand almost indefinitely when you don't have access to any other power source. This belongs in a 'bug out bag' or a emergency kit in a car.

Why would you ever use it over solutions like the one linked to in the first post of this thread.

Stupid pointless idea is both stupid and pointless.

But its not indefinite, because you keep having to buy more 9-volt batteries or store a crapton of them. If you're close to a store that has 9 volt batteries, you're probably not THAT off the grid. Granted this little tool is tiny itself folded up, but the many 9 volt batteries wouldn't be.

Lithium batteries should be at over 80% capacity after a month of storage, which considering the capacity of the one linked is more than enough for any camping trip as backup.

Indefinite charging off the grid would be a solar charger for $30 for 7 watt and $50 for 12 watt: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger--BLKBOX-Anything-Connection/dp/B00F3LPODY/

That's 2.4 amp for the 12 watt, and 1.4 amp charge rate for the 7 watt.

Why would you ever use it over solutions like the one linked to in the first post of this thread.

Stupid pointless idea is both stupid and pointless.
Because

1) that battery isn't going run forever and then what? There's always that one more call you need to make.
2) that battery isn't going to hold a charge indefinitely in some kind of emergency kit which usually get tossed in some corner and forgotten.

Because

1) that battery isn't going run forever and then what? There's always that one more call you need to make.
2) that battery isn't going to hold a charge indefinitely in some kind of emergency kit which usually get tossed in some corner and forgotten.
That's kind of the point, the lithium battery won't run forever. Nope. But you'll get a CRAPTON more charges out of it than you would a 9-volt alkaline, which has very little battery capacity since they are really designed for really low power devices like smoke detectors and what not.

If you're going to stores to buy more 9-volt batteries, you could probably recharge the lithium battery in your car or a starbucks or something.

But its not indefinite, because you keep having to buy more 9-volt batteries or store a crapton of them. If you're close to a store that has 9 volt batteries, you're probably not THAT off the grid. Granted this little tool is tiny itself folded up, but the many 9 volt batteries wouldn't be..
Last Christmas half the neighborhood had no power for about 5 days. Fortunately we were on the powered side but if we were stuck in that 1/4 mile section it would have been hurting. On the far side was a dollar store. By the time people used their phones for internet an what not, I doubt there were any batteries left standing. Wouldn't having a 9V in the drawer and this clip be a nice backup for emergencies or near emergencies?

Last Christmas half the neighborhood had no power for about 5 days. Fortunately we were on the powered side but if we were stuck in that 1/4 mile section it would have been hurting. On the far side was a dollar store. By the time people used their phones for internet an what not, I doubt there were any batteries left standing. Wouldn't having a 9V in the drawer and this clip be a nice backup for emergencies or near emergencies?
Think about the two scenarios:
A) You are at home and go for your adapter and 9V battery which can provide enough of a charge for a couple hours of use before your phone is dead again and you have no service. Hopefully you have more 9V batteries laying around. If you don't, you might have to drive somewhere, in which case your car is a charger anyway.

B) You are at home and go for your lithium battery which is left on your charger (I keep mine where I keep my lawnmower batteries on trickle along with my spare batteries and NiMH charger for all my eneloops), it has over 10K mah capacity, enough to fully charge an iPhone 6 about six or seven times.

If there were a big cost difference, sure, go for the 9V, but the 9V + adapter they are selling is more expensive.

I'd just walk out to my car and charge it.

Or in my case use my 4 in 1 charger and use a pair of AA's or a 9V.

I don't see a market for this like the others who posted before me have said there are better solutions that are cheaper or just plain better this is a gimmick to make another reason to keep the 9v battery around. Don't misunderstand me I like 9v but they have a limited useful capacity.

The AA battery is cheaper and easier to get and they make emergency chargers that can take those too.

I have a jump and go pack for my car it can jump start my car or charge my phone it has 33,000 mAh. So if I used it for my phone it would last 3-5 days of constant use. It can be recharged from a 12v car adaptor or wall charger. I would buy another of these before I bought this v thing.

Back