Eidos Unveils The Dawn Engine

HardOCP News

[H] News
Eidos Montreal showed off a single screenshot from its Dawn Engine today. The company also says it is hiring so, if you have the skills, hit the link and get your resume in.

Deus Ex Universe is the name we are giving to the fictional world and the rich lore we are creating for it, which will of course include core games, as well as any other projects that will help bring the world of Deus Ex to life. We won’t go into too much detail for now, but what we envision is for our projects to have meaningful ties to one another, in order for them to strengthen and deepen your experience within this Universe.

Looks nice, but not as nice as I was expecting from a new engine. Of course, their chosen screen wouldn't really let the engine show off. I'm not even sure what i'm looking at... is that a futuristic network closet?

Also, it seems they really like that orange haze.

In the past, we’ve relied on existing engines for our games. But in the end, we found that our creative vision was somehow limited. So we decided it was time for us to invest in creating an engine tailored for our needs.
The result of this work is the Dawn Engine. Based on a heavily modified version of IO Interactive’s Glacier™ 2 engine, it represents the beginning of a new era for us.

I don't quite see how using a modified engine equates to creating your own engine.

doesn't really look all that different from the old engine...so this means no new Deus Ex for at least another 4-5 years?

I don't quite see how using a modified engine equates to creating your own engine.

not much different from goldsrc used for half life, heavily modified quake engine.

if you change enough of something and tailor it to your needs it could feel and act like a new engine.

I don't care what they call it, as long as I get me some more Deus Ex.:D

"Deus ex universe" has me conjuring up thoughts of a deus ex mmo. And to that I say "yes please!"

Dawn engine? It doesn't have a fairy in it does it? That's all we need are more lame pixie cuts, oily skin, and butterfly wings on a chick wearing leaves over giant boobies.

Interesting, Eidos is also working on 2 unannounced projects and hiring across the board for Deus Ex Universe.

Place is getting busy

All of these engines are starting to blur together, and I'm having a hard time telling the differences between a lot of them.

It's to the point where there doesn't seem to be a big determining factor that sets one engine apart. With enough polys and high-res textures, you can pretty much make CryEngine, UE4 and Frostbite 3 look identical to one another.

Now, the toolset and pipeline for each engine is a different thing entirely. I can definitely see the benefit in designing/creating a toolset tailored to your needs. But completely designing and creating a custom engine from scratch seems silly.

reminds me (for some unknown reason, maybe all the brown/industrial colors) of Kingpin (old, really good Quake 2 engine FPS)

Some options I'd like to see in a new Deus Ex game:

Yellow filter: ON / OFF
Extra yellow lighting: ON / OFF
Yellow screen tinting: ON / OFF

All of these engines are starting to blur together, and I'm having a hard time telling the differences between a lot of them.

It's to the point where there doesn't seem to be a big determining factor that sets one engine apart. With enough polys and high-res textures, you can pretty much make CryEngine, UE4 and Frostbite 3 look identical to one another.

Now, the toolset and pipeline for each engine is a different thing entirely. I can definitely see the benefit in designing/creating a toolset tailored to your needs. But completely designing and creating a custom engine from scratch seems silly.

I think that's largely because of the direction graphics cards have taken with respect to shader function and the language to program them. At this point, as you said, the main differences are going to be the tools and how easy they are to use/how powerful they are. I can also maybe see that they could be different in terms of how they handle streaming assets, duplicate assets, thing like that which could result in one engine handling large maps/areas or large numbers of objects better than another. As for why a company would design a custom engine from scratch...well, firstly so they don't have to pay Epic, EA or Crytek to use theirs? Or maybe in the hopes of joining their ranks and selling the engine to other developers/publishers? It could also be that they tend to need specific tools that the other engines don't offer or offer in a way that costs a lot of time.

Now, the toolset and pipeline for each engine is a different thing entirely. I can definitely see the benefit in designing/creating a toolset tailored to yaour needs. But completely designing and creating a custom engine from scratch seems silly.

I notice a huge difference between all of those engines mentioned and others...It's even more apparent with their feel in PvP. I instantly begin to understand the feel of a soon to be released title based off of the engine they are using.

That game redefined what was acceptable for dialogue in gaming that's for sure!

And it was a damn good fps

That really was a fun game! Some of the geometry tended to deform in an odd way in some cases, but overall it was great. We used to play Deathmatches on our LAN with this. I still remember the sound of the heavy machine gun.

Back