Global Internet Phenomena Report: Netflix 9.5% Of All Upstream Traffic

Hmm.

Didn't mention that in the summary, and I didn't want to register to download the full report.

I wonder what accounts for the upstream traffic.

I know Netflix was rumored to start experimenting with peer-to-peer distribution (probably in response to the mess with Comcast and Verizon), but I didn't think that had taken off yet.

The only reason BitTorrent is higher is because Netflix doesn't have pr0n yet.

I've never understood this actually. It's not specific to netflix - Amazon prime also requires good upload to work. Maybe not 10% of all uploads, but why the need for upload at all when downloading a movie (other than typical communication protocol uploads).

:confused:

I've never understood this actually. It's not specific to netflix - Amazon prime also requires good upload to work. Maybe not 10% of all uploads, but why the need for upload at all when downloading a movie (other than typical communication protocol uploads).

:confused:

It sounds excessive, but could all that be flow control packets, both as part of the TCP protocol, as well as service specific information (like requests for different bitrate streams as part of monitoring dynamic bitrate performance?

The percentages aren't as important as making sure you don't cross the streams. In some paranormal documentary called Ghostbusters, I learned that's a bad idea unless you're trying to feel like the floor of a New York taxi cab.

Zarathustra[H];1041244198 said:
:eek: That's a lot of ACK's

wAGf3.jpg

I am EXTREMELY curious as to what their data center architecture looks like. It seems amazing to me that they can support this volume of traffic!

I am EXTREMELY curious as to what their data center architecture looks like. It seems amazing to me that they can support this volume of traffic!

They don't have a distribution data center it all sits on amazon aws

Back