Automated Killer Robots Come With Enormous Risks

HardOCP News

[H] News
The UN thinks automated killer robots are too risky. The CEO of Cyberdyne Systems was unavailable for comment. :cool:

Discussions are under way at the UN to discuss if and how such robots should be regulated. The talks are likely to be fraught. Killer robots do have redeeming features. And because they can replace human combatants, some argue they are a moral imperative. The risks, however, seem enormous.

You know it's going to happen... It's not much different than killing people with drones.

If a T800 can be reprogrammed to go against its creator, then so can other killer robots.

Imagine if Isis for example figured out how to hack a US killer robot, and then intentionally used it in a false-flag attack against muslim civilians as a recruitment tool.

A human should always be in the loop, even if the weapon platform itself if unmanned so if somehow an asset is lost at least someone knows right away.

If a T800 can be reprogrammed to go against its creator, then so can other killer robots.

Imagine if Isis for example figured out how to hack a US killer robot, and then intentionally used it in a false-flag attack against muslim civilians as a recruitment tool.

A human should always be in the loop, even if the weapon platform itself if unmanned so if somehow an asset is lost at least someone knows right away.

Well, they [Iran] already spoofed GPS to steal a drone. Really surprised inertial guidance didn't kick in and go "hmm, this doesn't seem right" but then again, could be a very particular use-case, but then they would know they were spoofing GPS signals to begin with.

Supposedly thought to have a Russian Avtobaza system involved.

Hmm automated killing robots...I see them being banned by the same people that banned using landmines in warfare. I don't know if it's a UN thing or international law or whatever but I know lots of countries no longer use landmines.

Hmm automated killing robots...I see them being banned by the same people that banned using landmines in warfare. I don't know if it's a UN thing or international law or whatever but I know lots of countries no longer use landmines.
Well the problem with landmines is that the people laying them forget where they put them.

I still support using landmines on our borders. Just put up two fences with barbed wire, and lots of signs on it that say landmines. If anyone wants to jump that fence, more power to them, they just need to know they might blow up in the process. Then just have camera/microphone systems on long poles every few miles so if someone takes the time to defeat it (coyotes/drug runners/etc), you can send an armed air-drone over to issue commands and open fire if needed and escalate from there. Would take minimal man-power for the national guard to police.

Well the problem with landmines is that the people laying them forget where they put them.

I still support using landmines on our borders. Just put up two fences with barbed wire, and lots of signs on it that say landmines. If anyone wants to jump that fence, more power to them, they just need to know they might blow up in the process.

I wonder if they'd consider landmines that expire after a short-time, say, five years?

Technology to the ol' fashioned landmine could be so much fun! Nearfield identification tags, method to turn them off/on... maybe somehow make a mine mesh network, so after you deploy mines in what I'd assume is a developing third-world country, they get the benefit of infrastructure!

Landmines are possibly a more annoying threat than space trash / debris.

I still support using landmines on our borders. Just put up two fences with barbed wire, and lots of signs on it that say landmines. If anyone wants to jump that fence, more power to them, they just need to know they might blow up in the process. Then just have camera/microphone systems on long poles every few miles so if someone takes the time to defeat it (coyotes/drug runners/etc), you can send an armed air-drone over to issue commands and open fire if needed and escalate from there. Would take minimal man-power for the national guard to police.

Jumping the border is a capital offense now? When did this happen?

Problem with smart-mines is that if you can turn them off, surely someone else will figure out how to as well. Then its worse than nothing, as you have only the illusion of area denial. And I wouldn't want to drive my own vehicles over smart mines, because even with a 99% safety rate, that means you're likely to explode when you drive over the 100th mine.

Wow, that was a short article.
Sorry IMO, drones and automation desensitizes conflicts making it easier to dehumanize and twist the truth on who's the really enemy.
Put boots on the ground to see the truth and the faces of your enemy and why they fight.

Well its a federal crime (fine and/or imprisonment), but mines would be an indiscriminate area denial tool no different from digging a really deep ditch that people might fall into and die from the fall.

As long as you would have to willingly and knowingly THROW yourself onto the mines on purpose, by having to pass signs and climb over a fence with some difficulty, the only person killing yourself would be you if you stepped on a landmine.

After all, if you punch an officer in the face and try to grab his gun and he shoots you, the police officer didn't really kill you, you killed yourself through a willful action. Its not a death penalty conviction for assault, its just cause and effect.

There are plenty of dumb things you can do and get shot and/or killed by the authorities for. And when it comes to trespassing even civilians can respond with lethal force. I'm all for passive security measures.

I see ... so people are in support of punishing non capital crimes with death ... sick.

After all, if you punch an officer in the face and try to grab his gun and he shoots you, the police officer didn't really kill you, you killed yourself through a willful action. Its not a death penalty conviction for assault, its just cause and effect.

The police officer didn't really kill you ..... lol wut?

I find it funny how things can be banned in war. uh...shouldn't war/killing be banned altogether?

Look on the bright side. Robots won't suffer PTSD. They won't act out of anger or fear. They won't commit rape or other crimes.

How many innocent civilians or allied soldiers died at checkpoints in Iraq? That can mostly be avoided with robots. They don't mind taking the risk that an unidentified vehicle approaching is a suicide bomber. No one will even care if a suicide bomber takes out a robot.

Well so they remove the soldier deaths from war, but imagine how much greater the civilian deaths would be in a war fought by GIANT ROBOTS.

Lets make tech that addresses the scarcity of resources better, then we would not need to fight so damn much.

Cool, I wasn't the first to think of mines in this context. Of course mines are generally not a Smart Weapon and a Robot would be, we hope.

I wonder if they'd consider landmines that expire after a short-time, say, five years?

Technology to the ol' fashioned landmine could be so much fun! Nearfield identification tags, method to turn them off/on... maybe somehow make a mine mesh network, so after you deploy mines in what I'd assume is a developing third-world country, they get the benefit of infrastructure!

Landmines are possibly a more annoying threat than space trash / debris.

Many years ago, except they expire by just going ahead and blowing themselves up so ....

Look, they have built mines that sit there and detect armored vehicles and aim themselves and fire a projectile to kill them so a little different then just a big boom. Mine warfare has gotten it's share of high tech face lifts. Making them illegal just means no one will use them until the positives are greater then the negatives.

I would send immigration papers to anyone who was clever and dedicated enough to defeat the system. It's actually a perfect admission system.

Maybe they should try banning IED's, beheadings and suicide bombers.

Not if you are a minority in some parts of the country.

I think where we will end up going is robots in the field controlled remotely by pilots with VR simulation equipment. Similar to what they have in the movie Surrogates.

I don't.

Seen the stuff on stealth and invisibility technologies?
Add that to the exoskeleton stuff and you get soldiers who can be real ghosts on the battlefield.

It's still going to be soldiers that do most of the heavy lifting in warfare, but those soldiers are going to be able to carry more, operate for longer periods of time needed less rest. And they are going to be very hard to find. They will be supported by the full range of tech, drones, Air Force, Naval capability, and yes, robots too.

Instead of 1,000s of soldiers storming the trenches combat will center around far fewer souls who have at their disposal a plethora of tailored packages of lethality and teams of Intelligence and other disciplines all tied in together and able to be nowhere, and on your doorstep all at the same time.

Look on the bright side. Robots won't suffer PTSD. They won't act out of anger or fear. They won't commit rape or other crimes.

How many innocent civilians or allied soldiers died at checkpoints in Iraq? That can mostly be avoided with robots. They don't mind taking the risk that an unidentified vehicle approaching is a suicide bomber. No one will even care if a suicide bomber takes out a robot.

it can also be avoided by stop occupying Iraq

I see ... so people are in support of punishing non capital crimes with death ... sick.

No, we are not for punishing non capital offenses with death. We are hoping on someones own fear of death, to deny them access to an area.

If I lay down mine, put up a fence around this mine, and put up a sign telling you there is a mine in the fenced in area, will you climb/cut the fence and step on the mine?

If you do step on the mine, have I executed you?
Or, have you just played Russian roulette and lost?

Maybe they should try banning IED's, beheadings and suicide bombers.

That's the point. The International League of Petty Tyrants know that you don't fight the US on hold/acquiring territory or objectives, you fight it with racking up US body count. And if the sitting president has the wrong politics, the US media will harp on the death toll daily.

If the US employs more and more drones, robots, etc. No body count and no way to fight the US.

No, we are not for punishing non capital offenses with death. We are hoping on someones own fear of death, to deny them access to an area.

If I lay down mine, put up a fence around this mine, and put up a sign telling you there is a mine in the fenced in area, will you climb/cut the fence and step on the mine?

If you do step on the mine, have I executed you?
Or, have you just played Russian roulette and lost?

Maybe ... just maybe .... there is a way to address border issues without involving the threat of death ... then again, knowing the crowd here, such a suggestion is mostly falling on deaf ears.

So that's a no go to automated killer robots along the unpatrolled stretches of the US/Mexico border?

it can also be avoided by stop occupying Iraq

Umm, we never occupied Iraq, We defeated the country during the war and we supported the legitimate government that replaced the old government. And you know what, when they asked us to leave we left. Fucking amazing how that works huh?

Umm, we never occupied Iraq, We defeated the country during the war and we supported the legitimate government that replaced the old government. And you know what, when they asked us to leave we left. Fucking amazing how that works huh?
Uhhhhhh... what if Germany invaded the United States, overthrew our government and killed Obama after a short trial along with all of his heads of staff, then for a decade "supported creating a stable new country" in their image, and then after setting up a puppet government they were satisfied with said the US was able to govern itself as long as they behaved... yeah. That's an occupation.

Uhhhhhh... what if Germany invaded the United States, overthrew our government and killed Obama after a short trial along with all of his heads of staff, then for a decade "supported creating a stable new country" in their image, and then after setting up a puppet government they were satisfied with said the US was able to govern itself as long as they behaved... yeah. That's an occupation.

Not when the people get to vote. You conveniently leave out that the people were able to vote on their new government and that the government they got was determined by their own participation. Why do you leave that part out? Why do you leave out the celebrations in the streets when Saddam was deposed and his barbarically cruel Baathist Party disassembled?

Is it you don't think these things matter?

Saddam only came to power, in Iraq, because the US and the UK supported the Ba'ath party coupe against the most democratic government Iraq ever had, the government of Abd Al Karim Qassim.

Back