Sweden Considers Special Labels for Sexist Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't think adding "special" labels to sexist video games is going to work the way these guys want it to. Remember when they put "explicit lyrics" labels on CDs? Same thing is going to happen with this.

A video-game trade group, inspired by the Bechdel Test, will study games' portrayals of women. A government-funded innovation agency in Sweden is considering creating specials label for video games based on whether or not the games’ portrayals of women are sexist.

Last edited:
Coming from the country that makes its men sit down to pee, and gives horse riding lessons to a criminal that murdered dozens upon dozens of children. Just wait, this will be America in ten years. Its how they create equality for women there, by turning men into women. ;)

I am ok with it, I would seek out the games with the label just to spite those organizations lol

This kind of thing is great. I'll just consider it a "buy" list when I'm shopping for games.

Coming from the country that makes its men sit down to pee, and gives horse riding lessons to a criminal that murdered dozens upon dozens of children. Just wait, this will be America in ten years. Its how they create equality for women there, by turning men into women. ;)

Breivik was Norwegian though.

Breivik was Norwegian though.
Is there a difference? Viking-land either way. :D

wimpy-swedes.jpg

As long as those same labels are put on the games depicting guys in a sexist manner. So combined, just put the labels on the non-sexist games.

There is already a symbol in the PEGI system that is the European ESRB that says exactly that!

65e11e5d-a69f-415b-8a84-0bc1ee85d510.png

I was reading that chart and thinking to myself, "They introduce Gambling at age 3+ and Drugs at 7+, but not Fear until 12+?" :D

Is there a difference? Viking-land either way. :D

wimpy-swedes.jpg

So Canada and USA is the same?

But you people have a point because we do treay prisoners almost too good. Could have something to do with not having that many. The US have the second highest incarceration rate in the world right after Seychelles (wherever that is) while Sweden is at place 187. I can understand that you can't afford to give prisoners much comfort. But that mass murderer in Norway doesn't deserve any.

I'm all for new labels, including one for sexist portrayals of men and hermaphrodites.

I was reading that chart and thinking to myself, "They introduce Gambling at age 3+ and Drugs at 7+, but not Fear until 12+?" :D

Haha

No the symbols are independent from the age. There are games rated 12? with the sex symbol. Like Disgaea D2 which have several jokes about boobs (not actual nudity). or Dead Or Alive Xtreme2 rated 12+ but with a gambling and sex symbol.

As long as those same labels are put on the games depicting guys in a sexist manner. So combined, just put the labels on the non-sexist games.
I was going to say: it would be easier for them to just label every non-sexist game as such, as there would be less work involved :p.

I would support this if it wasn't sexist in itself. Right now though it is just sending the message that "Sexism vs Women is bad, but Sexism vs Men is Good".

I would support this if it wasn't sexist in itself. Right now though it is just sending the message that "Sexism vs Women is bad, but Sexism vs Men is Good".
I think its stupid because its too subjective. What is and isn't sexist? If you have a barbarian sword game and the male is wearing fur loin cloth with huge muscles, is that sexist for portraying male stereotypes? People just need to grow a thicker skin.

Its like that scientist guy. He devotes his life to science and makes an unbelievable contribution to humanity by playing an integral part in a successful landing on a comet, which takes an ungodly amount of skill and dedication over decades.... and rather than notice that, women just comment on his shirt. :rolleyes:

But of course he was "asking for it" when he wore those clothes... ;)

Labeling games as sexist "is" sexist. Feminists are trying to control everything and these games are only sexists from their perspective (which is valid) however they are actively attempting to deny the male perspective from consideration. Accepting only the feminist perspective is disrespectful to men.

Nothing wrong with sitting down to pee, dam comfy, and once your a old man you can wash your nuts at the same time!

It's a perpetual argument over games, there is no solution other than for people to shut the fuck up and not care, or just don't buy any games.

Make a strong female lead character, make her wear some normal clothes, you appease one group, but then have another yell 'women can be strong and sexy, how dare you think they can only be one dimensional', it goes on and on.

Go count up all the stereotypical and sexist male roles in games, there's apparently no problem with them if no one gives a shit. Most men won't care if 90% of the male characters are roided out super-aggressive idiots.

Also I never understood how these groups can 'demand' these companies make 'non-sexist' games. How do you boycott something you already weren't ever going to buy? Why would a triple-A publisher cater to the least common denominator when they can push out murder simulator 2015 (Now with 50% more boobs), and sell millions of copies?

Nothing wrong with sitting down to pee, dam comfy, and once your a old man you can wash your nuts at the same time!
Even after I poop, I still assert myself as a male and stand up to pee. You see, I'm a logger like my pappy, and his pappy befo' him... you know where you cut the poop in half with your pee.

Just this whole issue, why is the focus on video games? I can pretty much find female sexploitation in movies, tv, books (are worse these days), youtube to the same degree it exists in video games.

Just this whole issue, why is the focus on video games? I can pretty much find female sexploitation in movies, tv, books (are worse these days), youtube to the same degree it exists in video games.

Because it's the flavor of the month for the hive mind.

hmmm, I wonder when people will bother to critique movies, television, and books about how they portray the sexes :rolleyes:

Even after I poop, I still assert myself as a male and stand up to pee. You see, I'm a logger like my pappy, and his pappy befo' him... you know where you cut the poop in half with your pee.

My dad taught me to always bring a beer, just in case I run out of pee.

I'll just leave this here...

I don't think that attacking gamers is a smart move. It backfired for some of those publications and websites after some advertisers pulled out.

This whole labelling system is stupid and stinks of Big Brother. You see a video game, you have money, you have a choice whether you want to buy that game or not, it should be as simple as that. No government involved.

hmmm, I wonder when people will bother to critique movies, television, and books about how they portray the sexes :rolleyes:
Better question when is one type of media that is losing its ass to the internet going to go apeshit and clean its own house. Funny that its a media form that is about to kill off old media that is being criticized actively eventhough the rest are just as guilty.

Gaming journalism is basically under a smaller number of internet 'publishing houses' for lack of a better term who are basically venture under a bunch of old media establishments. so the owners of Televisions, books and movies have had their subsidiaries attack a media form that is kiling them with people under 25. What a shock.

Exactly how do you quantify sexisim?... Especially in a video game and towards women at that. If we see a woman's butt can we offset it with a fully nude male just to be sure we are on the winning side?

What the Swedish government is considering offends me. Therefore, I am considering a special label for the Swedish government, and will refer to it as "a bunch of asshats who think there's a right to not be offended".

Exactly how do you quantify sexisim?... Especially in a video game and towards women at that. If we see a woman's butt can we offset it with a fully nude male just to be sure we are on the winning side?
Exactly.

So lets say you have a female in the game that is scantily clad, or worse is showing her breasts. Is that sexist?

It is? Well then perhaps the female should be covered up in a burka? Oor is that sexist?

I get confused as to what feminists consider "liberated" vs "sexist" since it changes depending on the time of the month.

1.png

Exactly.

So lets say you have a female in the game that is scantily clad, or worse is showing her breasts. Is that sexist?

It is? Well then perhaps the female should be covered up in a burka? Oor is that sexist?

I get confused as to what feminists consider "liberated" vs "sexist" since it changes depending on the time of the month.

1.png

When you reach this point in this stupid argument, the actual subject matter you're discussing doesn't matter anymore. Someone will tangent into the intent, the designers, the target audience, not enough women in the game industry, etc.

Pretty much, its a game made by someone who is probably male, for someone who is probably male, so lets shit all over it.

My guess is because the women created to be in video games don't have the choice. They're created by men, likely, and that's enough to make it sexist. If a woman sexploits herself, damnit, that's empowerment.

Sweden, that is.

Not only that, they also consider it okay to euthanize children up to the age of 12! What a great place! :)

http://disabilityrightnow.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/legality-of-euthanasia-in-the-netherlands/
"For the Dutch public prosecutor, the termination of a child’s life (under age 12) is acceptable if four requirements were properly fulfilled:

The presence of hopeless and unbearable suffering
The consent of the parents to termination of life
Medical consultation having taken place
Careful execution of the termination"

Whether you think this is okay or not is up to you, but it's not as simple as "they also consider it okay to euthanize children up to the age of 12".

Fuck this moment, fuck Anita sarkeesian, fuck the whole femnazies bullshit.

Back