FCC Probes AT&T On Plan To 'Pause' Fiber Rollout

HardOCP News

[H] News
Attention AT&T, I think the FCC wants to have a chat with you.

The FCC on Friday sent a letter to AT&T seeking more information about the company's fiber deployment plans, including the current rollout, the breakdown of the technology used and both its former and current plans on the number of households it plans to reach.

I feel this is weirdly appropriate.

hansenlol.jpg

Lot of probing going on in [H] headlines lately...either Steve has been getting a lot of action lately, or maybe not enough. ;)

Of course they're going to pause it. If I offered you a job and said "I don't know what you'll make", would you take the job? Why would AT&T roll out fiber if they don't know how much they'll make once it's rolled out?

Feel free to insert your tinfoil theories of evil shareholders and vampire squids below...

Of course they're going to pause it. If I offered you a job and said "I don't know what you'll make", would you take the job? Why would AT&T roll out fiber if they don't know how much they'll make once it's rolled out?

Feel free to insert your tinfoil theories of evil shareholders and vampire squids below...

AT&T pausing fiber means instead of 20 years it'll take 21 to catch up to Europe today, big deal.

I mean it's not like At&t actually competes with anyone just like any ISP. So who needs speed boots when you can continue to prop up other sectors of your company with your most profitable sector.

Yes because if I'm a multi-billion dollar company why should I have to worry about competition when I can have the government protect me from it?

Cool so why isn't that part of the US anywhere near the speed and prices of european or south korea or japan's internet?

You are falling for their bluff. They had no intention of rolling it out in the first place.

First of all, those 100 towns were never promised fiber. All AT&T did was announce potential areas, if they got what they wanted from the local government. Being fair, Google does the same thing.

Second, if they were rolling out fiber, then why did they announce two years ago that they would be reducing capex for 2014 and 2015? In fact, their capex expenses for 2015 is $2 billion less than what they thought it would be in 2013, because they basically stated it was no longer necessary. Before you say it's because of the pause, that statement was made two days before Obama's statement.

This just like the other announcements they made about expanding broadband services is just to sway public opinion. Even if the utility statement was never made they had no intention of expanding service and it's about time the FCC called them out on it.

If you want competition and innovation in the local market there is one thing the FCC and congress can do: Is to outlaw local cable franchise deals, perform eminent domain on the wiring and poles (Local control) and give access to all providers so that the Comcast's, the Cox's, the Verizon's, the Charter's and every other cable/telephone operator that is in existence to compete for your hard earned dollar. Once the basic ground rules are laid out, the "Free Market" can have it's way without picking winners and losers. The cable franchise is a relic that should be done away with. It is shitty I can only choose from Comcast/DIrecTV/Dish in my local market. I want it how I has it when I lived in Europe: 6-8 providers with 100MB of fiber and tv/phone for 49 Euro.

That silly lobbyist excuse wont pass here anymore, running out of suckers. Not even one of the world biggest cities, New York, has good service compared to its peers.

You wanna see the difference between monopoly and progress, compare poor massive New York (19.5m) to little Chattanooga (173k) or Kansas (467k) where monopolies are not in control.

wiredleaders.png

500mbps for $300 vs 1000mbps for $70!!!

Meanwhile, 500Mbps in Riga, Latvia, costs $9/month and $27/month will get you 300Mpbs in Paris

http://consumerist.com/2013/10/28/u...e-getting-less-for-internet-than-europe-asia/

Why would AT&T roll out fiber if they don't know how much they'll make once it's rolled out?
Because they, along with several other companies, were given something to the tune of $200 billion to roll out fiber to homes in the US back in 1996. They already got their financial incentive to do so. How many homes have they rolled fiber out to? What happened to that $200 billion they were suppose to make use of? WHERE'S MY FUCKING FIBER TO THE HOUSE?

If you want competition and innovation in the local market there is one thing the FCC and congress can do: Is to outlaw local cable franchise deals, perform eminent domain on the wiring and poles (Local control) and give access to all providers so that the Comcast's, the Cox's, the Verizon's, the Charter's and every other cable/telephone operator that is in existence to compete for your hard earned dollar. Once the basic ground rules are laid out, the "Free Market" can have it's way without picking winners and losers. The cable franchise is a relic that should be done away with. It is shitty I can only choose from Comcast/DIrecTV/Dish in my local market. I want it how I has it when I lived in Europe: 6-8 providers with 100MB of fiber and tv/phone for 49 Euro.

Hello, Canadian here. It doesn't really work for us, but good luck to you getting the companies to really 'compete' rather than 'collude'.

Check out this AT&T BS'ing idiots with future promises it never intends to keep:

Despite making all sorts of bold promises about bringing fiber to customers and claiming its fiber construction is contingent on the government giving it what it wants, AT&T has never detailed its exact fiber plans. For one thing, AT&T never promised to build in all of the 100 cities and towns it named as potential fiber spots. The company would only build in cities and towns where local leaders gave AT&T whatever it wanted. In all likelihood, only a small portion of the 100 municipalities were likely to get fiber, and nobody knows which ones.

Oh noo, they're not gonna build what they wont build, what are people gonna dooo? Quick, keep them a monopoly, that'll fix it!

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...er-bluff-demands-detailed-construction-plans/

The issue isn't that they are "pausing" the fiber roll-out, the issue is whether there was even a fiber roll-out to begin with.

If you threaten to "pause" something you never actually started, then it's just an empty threat. (and the FCC wants to know just how empty that threat is).

Even if the FCC DOES give at&t exactly what it wants, there is still no guarantee that the fiber roll-out will ever happen. (they could always find some other excuse to "pause" it indefinitely)

Most of you rubes are too stupid to understand that all those wonderful European and Asian internet speeds are only available in tiny, dense, geographical areas. Rural areas in places like South Korea are limited to DSL at best in most cases. The same goes for most of Europe. Try getting even a 50mbps connection in rural France or the UK. You can't.

I

Most of you rubes are too stupid to understand that all those wonderful European and Asian internet speeds are only available in tiny, dense, geographical areas. Rural areas in places like South Korea are limited to DSL at best in most cases. The same goes for most of Europe. Try getting even a 50mbps connection in rural France or the UK. You can't.

I

Most idiots also notice that New York with 19 million citizens has slower internet than its peers. Heck it's even slower than Chattanooga, TN with population of 175k!

Why? Because municipal broadband took the Teclo monopolies out the equation there.

I

Not only that, the power bills in Europe are generally outrageous, making colocation very expensive. Bandwidth pricing in all of Asia for actual transit is insanely expensive, the gigabit to the home infrastructure is massively oversold and works due to most users browsing the web.

They've had the technology to do this. I want to know about their fraud & what happened to the $200 billion tax payer dollars. To quote an old commercial, "Where's the BEEF?'.

There's no collusion, and it's a vibrant competitive marketplace.

Really!

Except that one of the major players is voluntarily saying they aren't really going to roll out more capability. You know, the thing you'd do if there was actually competition.

Back