Xbox One Sales Triple After Price Cut

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know Microsoft originally stated this price cut was temporary but, at this point, the company would be crazy to go back to the old $399 price.

The response to this wave of blockbuster game releases and new bundles has been amazing, and sales have skyrocketed since the new price took effect on Nov. 2. Compared to the previous week, Xbox One sales in the US have more than tripled, which is exciting as more and more friends will be playing together this holiday. As we head into the busy holiday season Xbox One led generation 8 console sales in the US for the past two weeks. Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles.

I got an xbox one with two games and a year of xbox gold for $207 after tax from best buy. after trading in an old ps3 that was collecting dust.

I wasnt in the market for one, but im pretty geeked about that kind of deal. I really like the interface and the device itself as a media hub.

I haven't been in the market for one but the recent price cut definitely has me thinking about purchasing one, especially with some of the bundle offers available.

I got an xbox one with two games and a year of xbox gold for $207 after tax from best buy. after trading in an old ps3 that was collecting dust.

I wasnt in the market for one, but im pretty geeked about that kind of deal. I really like the interface and the device itself as a media hub.

What trade in deal was that?

Or maybe people rushed to buy it because it was a temporary discount lol. But yeah would be nice if the price stayed the same anyway, they could use help with the current momentum.

Yes you are a cheap bastard :D I wasn't really in the market for one since I have a WiiU and PS4 but with the discount and Sunset Overdrive included I picked one up.

As it should. It's a good console with good games. Of course... it still will never measure up to a PC. But if you are wanting a console it is the better choice right now IMO.

But I'm not getting one till its under $200.

Microsoft store will have it on sale on black friday, I'm thinking it will be priced at $329 there. As long as you can use the trade in coupon it will be $229 + tax, you can then sell the bundled games and be under $200 net.

I've considered getting one just for Sunset Overdrive. The game does look fun.

With the prices I'll get one when my bad budget allows me, and Sunset Overdrive with it because those developers are working on a patch that takes care of the Black Crush horror that hurts nearly every single Xbox One game very very badly.

No way in hell the PS4 can outsell the Xbox One in November, for the US. < get back to me once the November NPDs come

There's talk from most people that they'll briefly go back to the $400 price tag after christmas, which is generally a slow time anyway, and then announce a permanent price reduction at E3. We'll see. I think they'll just keep the price reduction from the get go, and forego a periodic raise in price.

In other news, Sony just announced that it outsold the XboxOne for October. So even when Microsoft triples its sales, it can't beat Sony.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/533039328415715328

With the prices I'll get one when my bad budget allows me, and Sunset Overdrive with it because those developers are working on a patch that takes care of the Black Crush horror that hurts nearly every single Xbox One game very very badly.

No way in hell the PS4 can outsell the Xbox One in November, for the US. < get back to me once the November NPDs come

They might tie or the ps4 will edge the xb1 out. The problem now is that the PS4 has such a demanding lead that it is going to have the network effect. If you have 3 friends and you all buy a console, with the current numbers 2 of you would by a ps4 and one would by a xb1. The guy who buys the xb1 wouldn't be able to play with his friends. So for those who are buying just one or the other, the network effect matters.

I guess people didn't hear about the GPU price drops. BTW, last I was at Costco it was $335 for the Assasin's Creed bundle one. Not even tempted a little bit, as just last week they had the VisionTek Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 for just $120 shipped for example, and that will walk all over a XBone, even with just say 8GB of system memory and a mid-range CPU.

Halo: MCC just being released this week will help sells also.

what is the Black Crush horror that you are talking about?

I guess people didn't hear about the GPU price drops. BTW, last I was at Costco it was $335 for the Assasin's Creed bundle one. Not even tempted a little bit, as just last week they had the VisionTek Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 for just $120 shipped for example, and that will walk all over a XBone, even with just say 8GB of system memory and a mid-range CPU.

I know, that is why I don't understand why people buy trucks, vans, or semis. cars are so much cheaper. Have you looked recently at the cost of a 2015 Nissan Versa compared to a 2015 Ford Super Duty F-350 King Ranch? $13K vs $65K. Why the hell would anyone bother with the F-350 with that type of cost

I know, that is why I don't understand why people buy trucks, vans, or semis. cars are so much cheaper. Have you looked recently at the cost of a 2015 Nissan Versa compared to a 2015 Ford Super Duty F-350 King Ranch? $13K vs $65K. Why the hell would anyone bother with the F-350 with that type of cost
Small penis usually. *shrugs*

Maybe because trucks, vans or semis offer utility that cars can not match? Utility that invariably justifies the increase in cost.

What is the utility that Xbox One offers over a PC? Was it acting as a remote control repeater? Maybe it comes with an HDMI cable in box? Those cables are only a few bucks off of Monoprice though.

It beats the PS4 too, but nobody buys a console for the hardware. They buy them for the games, Halo, uncharted, the last of us, infamous,destiny, just to name a few. But I'm sure you don't care about exclusive games, for some reason that ties into your logic.

You and me both, some games I like but overall just an updated media device for me.

Why would I downgrade to a 7950 from my 290x? :confused::rolleyes: Odd to, my Xbox one, 360, Original and Gaming PC all live in harmony. Not one of them is trying to claim they are better than the other but then what do they know, they're just game consoles, right? :D :p

The way I see it, I can game on any system I choose to do so with. You are limited to just your PC and nothing else, your lose.

It beats the PS4 too, but nobody buys a console for the hardware. They buy them for the games, Halo, uncharted, the last of us, infamous,destiny, just to name a few. But I'm sure you don't care about exclusive games, for some reason that ties into your logic.
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of Cyberpunk 2077, Heroes of the Storm, Skyrim, Planetary Annihilation, Legacy of the Void, Assetto Corsa, Tropico 5, Bannerlord, Routine, Eve Valkyrie, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Shovel Knight, Beyond Earth, Arma III, DayZ Standalone, Dota 2, Elder Scrolls online, Europa Universalis IV, Hawken, Mechwarrior Online, Planetside 2, World of Tanks, Command & Conquer, etc.

Maybe because trucks, vans or semis offer utility that cars can not match? Utility that invariably justifies the increase in cost.

What is the utility that Xbox One offers over a PC? Was it acting as a remote control repeater? Maybe it comes with an HDMI cable in box? Those cables are only a few bucks off of Monoprice though.

There are many.

With the exception of maybe a single accessory, every game that comes out for a console can run on every instance of that console.

Far Cry 4 comes out, anyone with an computer has to check their specs to make sure they can play it, anyone with a PS4 or Xbox One can just buy the game. Same for Assassin's Creed Unity and Rouge. PC gamer's have to check system requirements for these games, the system requirement for a console is having that console.

Consoles are designed to be connected to your tv in both UI and controllability. Your pc doesn't have that. Yes there is the steam big picture, but that isn't the main UI of your computer.

Updates are more streamlined for a console making them more idiot proof.

I personally game on both console and pc both connected to my living room tv. The pc experience however is not the same but I just deal with it. Try playing something like Civ Beyond Earth from 20+ feet away on a 40in tv sitting on the couch with a keyboard and mouse.

While the lines are getting more and more blurred, console game is still the easiest and more streamlined way for living room gaming, especially for local multiplayer, for the average person to just grab a system, grab some games and play.

Just because volume moves with a price cut doesn't mean it will be sustained. So leaving the price cut in place doesn't necessarily solve their problem. They haven't even passed the wii U yet which is pathetic.

says the guy who probably drives a 14 year old Hyundai car.
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo (in white decked out with Portal graphics) is my primary car, to compensate for my penis size (it works the other direction too). :D
Exavior said:
Consoles are designed to be connected to your tv in both UI and controllability. Your pc doesn't have that. Yes there is the steam big picture, but that isn't the main UI of your computer.

Updates are more streamlined for a console making them more idiot proof. Try playing something like Civ Beyond Earth from 20+ feet away on a 40in tv sitting on the couch with a keyboard and mouse.
1) Can boot straight to big picture
2) My updates are automatic
3) Upgrade your home theater w/ money saved not buying a Xbox+PS4+Wii+subscriptions+expensive games; I am 11 feet away from my 3D 100 inch screen
4) Civilization Revolution for XBox is different in that scenario how?
5) Civilization Beyond Earth can be controlled using a wireless XBox controller, but I use a Gyration airmouse/remote (logitech K400 on standby, that game doesn't really need a keyboard)

Or maybe people rushed to buy it because it was a temporary discount lol. But yeah would be nice if the price stayed the same anyway, they could use help with the current momentum.

Temporary? No, thats just marketing PR to create artificial urgency.

The reality is they have no choice but not only leave the price as-is but continue dropping it because its the only metric the One can compete on. It'll be $299 before summer, have no fear.

There are many.

With the exception of maybe a single accessory, every game that comes out for a console can run on every instance of that console.

Far Cry 4 comes out, anyone with an computer has to check their specs to make sure they can play it, anyone with a PS4 or Xbox One can just buy the game. Same for Assassin's Creed Unity and Rouge. PC gamer's have to check system requirements for these games, the system requirement for a console is having that console.

Unless you have an earlier console like the ps3 or the Xbox 360. Then you have to go out and spend $400+ for a new console, controllers, etc.

If my computer (older Quad core) couldn't handle the game, I'd likely just need to go out and buy a new video card. Cheaper than full console.

Updates are more streamlined for a console making them more idiot proof.

That is the main console advantage. Makes it easy for the idiots :)

If my computer (older Quad core) couldn't handle the game, I'd likely just need to go out and buy a new video card. Cheaper than full console.
Superior reasoning skills are why they call PC gamers the master race. *nods*

You should see my face when I come across one of those "super" console sales, get three games for $120... ermergerd! :D

Anyway, back to playing my PC game modded for free.

No they didn't. They sold triple the amount of Xbox One's to retailers, which are not consumers.

Awww.. you mean warehouse stuffing isn't the same as an Xbone being unboxed in someone's living room? Why do you have to get technical? /s

Superior reasoning skills are why they call PC gamers the master race. *nods*

You should see my face when I come across one of those "super" console sales, get three games for $120... ermergerd! :D

Anyway, back to playing my PC game modded for free.

Given you have in multiple threads been given tons of valid reasons people own consoles in addition to PC's and have ignored. I would argue that superior reasoning isn't a strong trait for you. You seem fixated on this whole attitude that blinds many PC only people of "But my PC can do it" when the reality is there are a few things that are just simpler on console and there is no reason to have another PC.

Microsoft store will have it on sale on black friday, I'm thinking it will be priced at $329 there. As long as you can use the trade in coupon it will be $229 + tax, you can then sell the bundled games and be under $200 net.

$335 at Costco right now.

No they didn't. They sold triple the amount of Xbox One's to retailers, which are not consumers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAdu8BrODPU&list=UU__Oy3QdB3d9_FHO_XG1PZg

True but even though its sell through its the Holiday season. You can be certain those consoles will move. Unless Sony plans to drop its pricing by $50 and right now they might for a very limited window , there isn't reason why it won't do good.

Halo is a gigantic monster selling game. People are buying Xbones just for it. After next week the matchmaking crap will get fixed (you still have 4 very fantastic games to play in the mean time and custom games work fine) those issues will be gone (at least lessened greatly).

Microsoft is a pretty sweet position right now. Being competitive is good for business in the long run.

Sony above all has proven that you can take a nightmare of a system at launch and make it extremely profitable by the end. The PS3 pretty much sucked the first 3 years of its life (and got crappy ports even to this day..) but managed to meet and somewhat exceed the Xbox 360 in sales over time. Microsoft also has massively deep pockets compared to Sony which is in deep shit still and losing money hand over fist regardless of how well the PS4 is doing.

I think speaking of the long game that MS has Sony beat. If Sony can't make itself as a company profitable soon it will not be good for the Playstation division even if its doing remarkably well.

1) Can boot straight to big picture
2) My updates are automatic
3) Upgrade your home theater w/ money saved not buying a Xbox+PS4+Wii+subscriptions+expensive games; I am 11 feet away from my 3D 100 inch screen
4) Civilization Revolution for XBox is different in that scenario how?
5) Civilization Beyond Earth can be controlled using a wireless XBox controller, but I use a Gyration airmouse/remote (logitech K400 on standby, that game doesn't really need a keyboard)

1, yes you can boot right to big picture, however that requires you to remove security on your computer of having a password to get on. You then still are only controlling some parts of steam. You are not controlling downloading driver updates, windows updates....

2. steam and windows will do a good job for most things. But you will still have driver updates that need to be done manually.

3. PC game when released $50, console when released $60 wouldn't really call that expensive. As for the screen, not everyone is going to have room for a screen that size. Also not everyone is going to be so close. 11 feet from a tv sounds like you have it in your bedroom and not in the living room.

4+5. My "issue" with civ was more it was designed for a pc screen with you sitting right by it. Trying to play across the room you can't really read a lot of the text as it is very small print when playing from a distance, I haven't played civ revolution but I would assume if on a console it was designed with larger font size to be readable from a tv screen and not designed to be played on a computer screen. Even if you can play it with a controller (which I didn't know was possible so thank you) the game wasn't designed to be play from across the room.

Unless you have an earlier console like the ps3 or the Xbox 360. Then you have to go out and spend $400+ for a new console, controllers, etc.

That is the main console advantage. Makes it easy for the idiots :)

Yes, it makes it easier for idiots. Otherwise known as none tech people.

What type of new card are you buying? You can spend $1000 on a new video card. How often are you going to spend that money to buy a new one? Consoles are around for 5 or so years. So if you buy a $200 video card every other year you are spending the same amount if not more on your video card. Then again you are also failing to realize like so many others that not everyone in the world are tech savy. Just about anyone with half a brain can connect the HDMI cable to their console and plug it in. You expect all these people to know how to install a video card? So they have to take it in instead, which means that $200 video card will now cost them $400 - $500 due to labor. So you are now at $800 - $1000 instead. And of course that is still requiring you to know what specs you have, or more exactly, what specs the person you are buying stuff for has.

Do your grandma know what specs your computer runs at to know for sure that you can run a certain game that she sees on the shelf at the store? That isn't an issue if she sees an Xbox 360 game and knows that you have a 360, or a PS4 game and knows you have a PS4.

Given you have in multiple threads been given tons of valid reasons people own consoles in addition to PC's and have ignored. I would argue that superior reasoning isn't a strong trait for you. You seem fixated on this whole attitude that blinds many PC only people of "But my PC can do it" when the reality is there are a few things that are just simpler on console and there is no reason to have another PC.

yup

Back