AMD's Richard Huddy PDXLAN Presentation

AMD deserves about 5 thumbs up for bringing together hardware mfr's adopt freesync.

Thank god we are not stuck with only nvidia.

I'll stick with my nvidia. Low power, Low Noise, Works great in SLI, Drivers allways work and not 2 hours trying to make them work.

When ATI sold out to AMD. I stopped buying video cards from AMD/ATI.

Dave Orton was one of the best designers for ATI.

I had ATI since the PCI days.

I'll stick with my nvidia. Low power, Low Noise, Works great in SLI, Drivers allways work and not 2 hours trying to make them work.

Hyperbolic AMD slights, followed by shallow 'seriously, my opinion is balanced, cause despite hating on AMD for the entirety of my post, I purchase solely AMD products.'.

What 'always' takes you '2 hours' to get AMD drivers working? Even if you have some strange setup, if it's 'always' taking you that long, it just seems like you would know the issue at this point and can fix it immediately.

AMD USED to have really bad driver support, in a brief window circa 2009-2010, especially in linux. This is not really the case anymore, anymore than driver support is an issue for NVIDIA or Intel. It's just this myth that gets keep getting kicked around by people: "AMD's drivers are SO MUCH WORSE than their competitors". This has not been the case in a long time. Just as many gaffs and weirdness all-round in this department. NVIDIA had way more driver problems in this amount of time that I would consider, 'serious'.

This power argument is such a straw-man as well. Nobody really cares about this. Please explain why you care about this? Why is this so important, to YOU specifically?

Had a 290 since a year back, the last 10 months or so any driver I install has worked flawlessly to install, the eyefinity 2.0 update they made to support mixed resolutions have been working much better for my set up.

I suspect I am buying a 120hz 1910x1080 screen later as the 3 I do use are 1680x1050 so instead of buying 3 new screens I now can buy just one.
If I had Nvidia, the cost would been 3 new screens as they cant do mixed resolutions.

Thanks amd for gaming evolved

Hyperbolic AMD slights, followed by shallow 'seriously, my opinion is balanced, cause despite hating on AMD for the entirety of my post, I purchase solely AMD products.'.

What 'always' takes you '2 hours' to get AMD drivers working? Even if you have some strange setup, if it's 'always' taking you that long, it just seems like you would know the issue at this point and can fix it immediately.

AMD USED to have really bad driver support, in a brief window circa 2009-2010, especially in linux. This is not really the case anymore, anymore than driver support is an issue for NVIDIA or Intel. It's just this myth that gets keep getting kicked around by people: "AMD's drivers are SO MUCH WORSE than their competitors". This has not been the case in a long time. Just as many gaffs and weirdness all-round in this department. NVIDIA had way more driver problems in this amount of time that I would consider, 'serious'.

This power argument is such a straw-man as well. Nobody really cares about this. Please explain why you care about this? Why is this so important, to YOU specifically?

Well, after I put all those lights, pumps, ect in may case and crank up the voltage for OCing using my 1500W PSU .. doesn't everyone get power consumption conscious with their GPU?

Fanb0i ism needs to die a long overdue horrible death. These companies don't give a damn about YOU, just go with what is the best for your purpose at the time regardless of who makes it.

I currently have nVidia cards, before that ATI/AMD, and given the specs of the 'next gen' cards (GTX 9XX vs R9 3XX) looks like I am going back to AMD. No loyalty.

Ive owned probably 20-30 (bitcoin/litecoin mining) different AMD video cards from the 5870 to the 290x and NEVER had a driver problem with windows. So sick of seeing these excuses from people that havent used a team red product since the PCI days. Hell i even played world of warcraft while mining and didnt havent problems.

So AMD announced it was buying ATI in like 2006. And you haven't purchased an AMD made GPU since the, but you know for a fact that it takes 2 hours to make AMD video card drivers work in 2014. That sounds completely reasonable and sane to me.

+1

The days of bad AMD drivers are long gone. I haven't had nearly as many issues with AMD as I had with Nvidia/SLI. Countless of BSODs because of nvidia driver errors and random SLI profile issues. Both companies have their issues but no longer is AMD/ATI the poster child for driver issues.

Ive owned probably 20-30 (bitcoin/litecoin mining) different AMD video cards from the 5870 to the 290x and NEVER had a driver problem with windows. So sick of seeing these excuses from people that havent used a team red product since the PCI days. Hell i even played world of warcraft while mining and didnt havent problems.

Hehehe, reminds me at one point I had one machine mining with 2x 280x cards, 7950, 5870, 5830 (pcie extenders and all) and as my main rig I was still playing Civ. 5 on it without skipping a beat.

Back