FBI: Violent Drops To 1970s Level

HardOCP News

[H] News
Coincidentally, the sale of video games has skyrocketed since the 1970s. Coincidence? I think not.

All types of violent crimes were lower, with murder and non-negligent manslaughter off 4.4 percent to 14,196, the lowest figure since 1968. Rape was down 6.3 percent and robbery fell 2.8 percent, the Federal Bureau of Investigation data showed.

Of course violence has dropped....we're all playing video games!! HAHAHAHAH:D:D

Probably has to do with all the technology in place that makes it easier to track down criminals.

One of the few times many people around here will agree with a government entity.

Like math scores and income levels, this latest news is just further example of the decline in the things America used to be good at.

Wait, so the legalization of marijuana and violent video games hasn't released Satan's army from the depths of hell?

Wait, so the legalization of marijuana and violent video games hasn't released Satan's army from the depths of hell?

Yet...It hasn't released Satan's Army, yet. Rest assured though we are working diligently and have our best people on the job.

We've also seen a huge surge in CHL licenses issued, and castle doctrine type of laws increased... and violence is going down.

Hopefully someone can finally put two and two together and realize that the common sense of what motivates someone on an individual level to violence. IMO some of the biggest issues are cultural.

For example, watch the video of the prankster that goes up to random people and asks them if they got beef. He'll just say hey you got beef? And the joke is he opens his jacket and says, yo I got beef right here, $3 a pound, I'll hook you up bro. But when he does it in the ghetto, virtually INSTANTLY thugs want to throw down and fight him. Why? Because he showed an inkling of disrespect.

And if someone disrespects you in any way, you're not a man if you don't physically assault them. That's how that Trayvon Martin kid got his ass shot. He thought someone was disrespecting him and rather than just let it go he had to assault the guy, and that guy happened to have a firearm. I see it all the time.

Look at proper English limey's by contrast, that are so polite and adverse to going full retard ape on someone its painful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7H7k23R9U0 (not that the UK doesn't have a ton of violent thugs, just an example of the culture of one particular british demographic)

So if you really want to reduce violence, the number one biggest thing we could do in America IMO is to get rid of the glorification of "gangster" culture, and this pervasive idea that any disrespect must be met with violence.

Not that it would hurt to decriminalize commonly distributed substances like marijuana that encourage turf warfare among gangs and what not, the same as we had organized crimewave issues with the alcohol prohibition.

Yet people are still so scared that cops are arresting mom's for letting their 10-year olds walk a block to a park to play by themselves.

Yet people are still so scared that cops are arresting mom's for letting their 10-year olds walk a block to a park to play by themselves.

Ha.. when I was 8, I would go ride my bike all over the place by myself for hours on end.

Even when we moved to a big city, that didn't stop me.

People and their pansy-ness now days... so full on retarded.

the problem with that data is it's an average of all crime in the US

the reality is that parts of the US have become much safer while other parts of the US have become much, much more violent and dangerous than ever. Places like Detroit have a murder rate that is 10x the national rate.

the problem with that data is it's an average of all crime in the US

the reality is that parts of the US have become much safer while other parts of the US have become much, much more violent and dangerous than ever. Places like Detroit have a murder rate that is 10x the national rate.

Detroit has always been bad, since at least the 80's if not further back. Detroit, DC and a few others are always rivalries for crime.

True, Detroit was just one example. The point is that violent crime is going up, not down, in this country (and going up in a big way) but only in certain areas of the country.

True, Detroit was just one example. The point is that violent crime is going up, not down, in this country (and going up in a big way) but only in certain areas of the country.

And if you look a little bit more into it, it is pretty easy to tell that the most "liberal" places are also the most likely to have the crime rate increasing.

And if you look a little bit more into it, it is pretty easy to tell that the most "liberal" places are also the most likely to have the crime rate increasing.

I would assume it has much more to do with economic situations. Where the economy sucks and people are poor is where you will generally see more crime.

White collar e-crime has had a positive impact on violent crime in most developed countries.

There's a lot of social engineering going on in the world today. We're all supposed to hate our neighbours (and help spy on them) because ISIS is recruiting WASP kids now. All the children have been kidnapped and 99.999% of girls are brutally raped in the weeks before they're born.

Alarmist rhetoric is the new filler-piece on the evening news. Whether it's detergent poisoning, or a security expert talking about the "exodus of terror" (two people, literally two people) headed to fight for ISIS.

I remember when it used to be about a kid getting an award for something or other.

Ha.. when I was 8, I would go ride my bike all over the place by myself for hours on end.

Even when we moved to a big city, that didn't stop me.

People and their pansy-ness now days... so full on retarded.

I had a similar upbringing from a very young age, I was always out for hours all over the place, lying about where you've been.

Now we looks at kids like fragile pieces of glass. Though with this influx of allergies in this latest generation, they may very well be!

I'm glad crimes going down nationally but in the city I live in black kids are shooting each other every other night. Stores being robbed every few days and a bank robbed once a week. When people have nothing they have nothing to lose and do crazy shit. Someone I know always says if you want to see people act like animals just take away their food.

With the rich making most of the money in this county and the middle class and poor getting poorer one wonders why crime isn't going up. When I watch my local news too much I end up thinking I should be strapped every time I walk out of the house. Then again burglaries are up 200% (or more) in my city too so maybe I have to be strapped while I type this in the comfort of my home..

lots of kids still ride their bicycles around town

unfortunately, in some of those places, there are other young kids packing guns on the corners

Probably has to do with all the technology in place that makes it easier to track down criminals.

Has more to due with changing the definition of a what is a violent crime, and pleading down the charges so they don't have to send the criminals to over crowded jails. At least that's the way they do it out here in California.

I would assume it has much more to do with economic situations. Where the economy sucks and people are poor is where you will generally see more crime.

That wasn't true during the 30's. Many poor inner city areas where reasonably save.

No, that's false.

Try again.

I live in Southern California, and almost without exception, the higher the number of elected Democrats in a city, the higher the crime rate.
The city I live in has been one of the top safest cities (for it's size) in the country year after year, and it just happens to also have one of the highest percentages of Republicans.

This isn't the 30's though.

The difference is cultural.
Back then, most of the poor still tried to live a good & honest life, preferring to work rather then take handouts. They also raised their kids to be respectful of others, and of course most kids still have 2 parents back then.

Try again.

I live in Southern California, and almost without exception, the higher the number of elected Democrats in a city, the higher the crime rate.
The city I live in has been one of the top safest cities (for it's size) in the country year after year, and it just happens to also have one of the highest percentages of Republicans.
Where do you live? In Orange County? I live here, too, but I study crime professionally. You're making a sweeping judgement based off one locality that you are familiar with, but it's not the case across the state and certainly not across the country.

I often wonder if the CSI shows have had something to do with crime rates dropping. If folks are more aware of what could be used in a investigation (yes I know a fair amount of what happens in CSI doesn't really exist...but) so it makes them think twice.

We've also seen a huge surge in CHL licenses issued, and castle doctrine type of laws increased... and violence is going down.

Hopefully someone can finally put two and two together and realize that the common sense of what motivates someone on an individual level to violence. IMO some of the biggest issues are cultural.

I just knew someone was going to go down this road. Crime hasn't just recently started to go down, it's been going down since the 70s long before castle doctrine and carry licenses became en vogue. It has nothing to do with culture, but with opportunities. Notice how people like you are just now getting scared, because the last recession was the first one in a long while that actually affected you.

The more statist a government the more control over manipulating the statistics they have and the fewer qualms about doing it as well. Like illegals who never made accross the border added to the deported column to make deportations look high vs. historical data which did not count them that way.

The more statist a government the more control over manipulating the statistics they have and the fewer qualms about doing it as well. Like illegals who never made accross the border added to the deported column to make deportations look high vs. historical data which did not count them that way.

There it goes, it's all a conspiracy. If the facts don't work you can bury your head in the warm delusion that powers conservatism.

The truth has a well known liberal bias.

No, that's false.
Its 110% accurate, as long as you replace the subjective term "liberal" with the objective term "Democratic party voter".

You can very easily see on superimposed maps that the crime rate in Democrat voter areas taken as a whole dwarfs the red areas.
Crime hasn't just recently started to go down, it's been going down since the 70s long before castle doctrine and carry licenses became en vogue.
You're correct and wrong. Yes, crime has been steadily going down, while CHL licenses have been steadily increasing since the 1970s. The first stand your ground/castle doctrine type of self-defense laws were put in place in 1978, and have been steadily expanded legal coverage since that time. The trend for the issuing of concealed handgun licenses started in 1976, and has steadily increased.

Conceled-Carry-population-coverage-and-violent-crime.jpg

Now, does that mean that CHLs and self-defense laws protecting law abiding citizens from criminals reduce crime? Nope. Is it a statistical fact that crime has been reduced as more law abiding citizens were licensed to be armed and given legal protection to defend themselves? Yup!

Could be entirely incidental, but with 100% certainty we can say that self-defense laws protecting citizens have followed reduce crime trends, and that areas with the highest crime rates also have the least self-defense legal protections and anti-gun legislation in place.
Ryokurin said:
Notice how people like you are just now getting scared, because the last recession was the first one in a long while that actually affected you.
What do you mean people like me? Just because I'm black you're going to say "people like me"???

Woops, thought I posted a map, but you can do this yourself for any county at random. Pick a county and look for voter map, and then look for a crime map. The most crime ridden areas vote red. Every. Single. Time.

Violent_Crime475.jpg

ClevelandVotingMap.png

The area Obama won unanimously for example, is in the above example massively crime infested. Not saying cause and effect, but without question the statement is true, high crime areas vote democrat, and democrats are generally called "liberals".

Detroit has always been bad, since at least the 80's if not further back. Detroit, DC and a few others are always rivalries for crime.

D.C.? What are you talking about? DC crime has been declining for many years and it's normal for a city of its size. It's 16th in the country,well below Detroit, Oakland, Atlanta, Baltimore etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

You have any other unfounded 30 year old statistics you want to post?

Back