3 diff 290Xs on sale @ egg ~ $300 after MIR(4 games)+8G 290x showing up, OOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
those 8 gig cards are really things of beauty......may have to bust out the credit card:(
Capture_zps70ab5ef1.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Capture2_zps5e23b318.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Really not sure which is better, but i kinda like the look of the power color

Last edited:
Have a 7970 sapphire vapor x 6gb and its been a dream since purchase. I know where my moneys going

Man these 290X's are just a smoking deal these days. These things were near $600 just a few weeks ago it seems. At $300 they kinda make the 970 obsolete. I was holding off to see what AMD comes out with with the next gen but $300 for that much horsepower is hard to pass up. Damn I don't know what to do.

I won't buy powercolor, but if another brand comes close to that $429 price I might bite. Lower increases probability :D

MSI is supposedly releasing one too so maybe theirs will be a better price point. I'd also accept a refreshed 8gb Lightning

Man these 290X's are just a smoking deal these days. These things were near $600 just a few weeks ago it seems. At $300 they kinda make the 970 obsolete. I was holding off to see what AMD comes out with with the next gen but $300 for that much horsepower is hard to pass up. Damn I don't know what to do.

Man I feel you! Is the refresh with 8gb cards going to be just the memory difference? Does anyone know if theres going to be any other changes to the cards besides the vram going up to 8gigs? If not I mean might as well grab one of these while theres stock!

Man I feel you! Is the refresh with 8gb cards going to be just the memory difference? Does anyone know if theres going to be any other changes to the cards besides the vram going up to 8gigs? If not I mean might as well grab one of these while theres stock!

Thus far, just the vram increase. The clocks on the above listed 8GB cards are the same as their 4GB predecessors.

Are you guys 4K gaming though? Otherwise, why would you need that much VRAM?

Are you guys 4K gaming though? Otherwise, why would you need that much VRAM?

Shadows of Mordor @1080p uses all of a Titan's 6GB of VRAM on the highest settings. It pagefile swaps if you don't have the VRAM, but want to see the effects. Quite sure that more games that appear on consoles and PC will have similar high requirements for Ultra settings in the future.

Hmmmm, I still think I'm just going to hold out and perhaps see if someone on the forum is selling a Gigabyte 7950 3GB cheap at some point, and then just go crossfire.

Shadows of Mordor @1080p uses all of a Titan's 6GB of VRAM on the highest settings. It pagefile swaps if you don't have the VRAM, but want to see the effects. Quite sure that more games that appear on consoles and PC will have similar high requirements for Ultra settings in the future.

I guess it's just interesting to me that you can see that happening and yet nvidia and amd aren't making these cards the norm. I know 4k isn't the norm yet but the prices of 27 and 30 inch 1440/1600p monitors are dropping. More and more people are moving up from 1080p.

most reviews put gtx970 pretty much head to head with a 290x in performance. Obsolete is pretty stupid way to look at it. 8gb cards will be i think said a good 150-200$ premium over 4gb card for which some early benchmarks show almost 0 gain at 1080p/1440p and only around 10-15% at 4k.

most reviews put gtx970 pretty much head to head with a 290x in performance. Obsolete is pretty stupid way to look at it. 8gb cards will be i think said a good 150-200$ premium over 4gb card for which some early benchmarks show almost 0 gain at 1080p/1440p and only around 10-15% at 4k.

Benchmarks don't always tell the complete tale about what increased VRAM capacity means. In Shadows of Mordor, it's really hard to know that you're out of VRAM while playing. Then you get into a scenario where you're fighting 100 enemies, the best way to defeat them is to shoot a few fire barrels to explode upon the crowd, and doing so causes fps drops that get you killed. It doesn't freeze up; you're actions suddenly less fluid than before. In a game that rewards you for perfect timing of combos, this can mean a lot! If you lower your settings so that your VRAM isn't overextended then the game handles the same scenario without a hitch.

Running the in game benchmark you'd never know that this is an issue. Just playing the game and being extra careful, you'd never know that this is an issue. But unfortunately it's there. And you need more VRAM to make the game silky smooth in those situations.

:)

My only wish is that they had a slimmer 8GB card so I could CF them in my rig. Not sure I could fit 2 of these monsters.

Fire sale! Get 'em while they're hot! Well, they're 290x's so they'll ALWAYS be hot!!! ;)

Is this based out of experience or the recommendation on the settings page? I ran ultra textures @ 1440p with a 970 and it only used ~3500mb...

most reviews put gtx970 pretty much head to head with a 290x in performance. Obsolete is pretty stupid way to look at it.

How is that stupid? A 290x is slightly faster than a 970 but goes for $50 less. All I'm looking at is price and performance. You get more performance for good bit less money with the 290x while they're at $300 so I don't see any real reason to buy the 970 at $350. Now if the 970's get down to $300 or 310 then it would be different since they're cooler running cards and that could be worth a few bucks. Maybe "obsolete" is too strong of a word because the power and heat savings in the 970 could be worth $50 extra to some. Ive thought about it myself sometimes during the summer where I have my rig and my boy's rig next to each other and 3 monitors running. It can get pretty warm down here. But still, the 290x is extremely attractive right now at $300 and makes it really hard to pull the trigger on a 970 at least IMO. Im also kind of an EVGA fanboy and like the idea of buying a 970 FTW and using my current 670 for PhysX but those are the only 2 reasons I would pick a 970 right now at current prices.

Last edited:
How is that stupid? A 290x is slightly faster than a 970 but goes for $50 less. All I'm looking at is price and performance. You get more performance for good bit less money with the 290x while they're at $300 so I don't see any real reason to buy the 970 at $350. Now if the 970's get down to $300 or 310 then it would be different since they're cooler running cards and that could be worth a few bucks. Maybe "obsolete" is too strong of a word because the power and heat savings in the 970 could be worth $50 extra to some. Ive thought about it myself sometimes during the summer where I have my rig and my boy's rig next to each other and 3 monitors running. It can get pretty warm down here. But still, the 290x is extremely attractive right now at $300 and makes it really hard to pull the trigger on a 970 at least IMO.

For me it's like this

If 1080p - 970 (or SLI 970)
if >1080p or multi monitor - 290x (or CF 290x)

At these price points the most "obsolete" card (IMO) is the GTX 980 unless you are just totally against multi GPU setups

For me it's like this

If 1080p - 970 (or SLI 970)
if >1080p or multi monitor - 290x (or CF 290x)

At these price points the most "obsolete" card (IMO) is the GTX 980 unless you are just totally against multi GPU setups

Agreed on your GTX 980 point. I can't see paying $250 more for a card that will do 10-15% better in single, effectively equal in multi-GPU, heat and power efficiency notwithstanding. Especially considering 980s are just now coming with a single game voucher, and most 290xs come with three, if not four vouchers. If your not into or already have the game, sell the vouchers for $20 each which will net you a 290x that only costs $220.

In any respect, these are good times to be in the market for a high-end card.

Tempted to get a 290x as a "sidegrade" from my 670 sli just for the vram upgrade. Still unsure though. Gaming at 5040x1050 surround or 1440p depending on the game.

for those willing to part with 500 bucks, the TRI-X is available via the OPs link.

for those willing to part with 500 bucks, the TRI-X is available via the OPs link.

I want it but Feb is so close. Only 4 months and the purchase would be likely regrettable. I wish they would have made it more in-line with what the rest of the 290's have dropped to. $400 would be the perfect price point.

I want it but Feb is so close. Only 4 months and the purchase would be likely regrettable. I wish they would have made it more in-line with what the rest of the 290's have dropped to. $400 would be the perfect price point.

Yeah, sorry, $499 is at least $100 too high. Also all the other 290Xs have gone up in price since yesterday and are no longer $299 AR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back