NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Third Quarter Fiscal 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA today reported revenue for the third quarter ended October 26, 2014, of $1.23 billion, up 16 percent from $1.05 billion a year earlier and up 11 percent from $1.10 billion the previous quarter. Revenue for the first three quarters of fiscal 2015 was a record $3.43 billion, up 15 percent from $2.99 billion a year earlier. GAAP earnings per diluted share for the quarter were $0.31, up 55 percent from $0.20 a year earlier and up 41 percent from the previous quarter. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.39, up 50 percent from $0.26 a year earlier and up 30 percent from the previous quarter.

• Record revenue of $1.23 billion in quarter, up 16 percent from a year earlier
  • GAAP diluted EPS of $0.31 in quarter, up from $0.20 a year earlier; non-GAAP diluted EPS of $0.39, up from $0.26 a year earlier
  • Record revenue of $3.43 billion in first three quarters, up 15 percent from a year earlier
"NVIDIA's focus on creating visual computing platforms for datacenter, mobile and PC drove record revenue this quarter," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and chief executive officer of NVIDIA. "Growth drivers have kicked in for us on several fronts. High-performance computing, virtualization and web service providers have created demand for our GPU-accelerated datacenter platforms. Automakers are using Tegra to help reinvent the driving experience. And our new Maxwell architecture is a giant leap forward that has triggered a major upgrade cycle by PC gamers."

Sometimes NV GPUs are kicking ass, sometimes they are not... but one constant is that Mr. Huang always runs a very tight ship - I tip my fedora to him.

For the good of the industry, I really hope AMD's new CEO can finally get their shit together ASAP.

I like the idea that a PC centric company like Nvidia can make 1+ billion dollars a quarter. I know PC GPU's aren't all they make but still, our companies making boat loads of cash means we've still got a thriving PC gaming segment.

Say anything about Jen-Hsun, how tegra sucks, how kepler was way overpriced, $3000 video cards, etc.

But the guy delivers every quarter.

Sometimes NV GPUs are kicking ass, sometimes they are not... but one constant is that Mr. Huang always runs a very tight ship - I tip my fedora to him.
Yeah me too:)
For the good of the industry, I really hope AMD's new CEO can finally get their shit together ASAP.
Bahahaha well i too hope they can pull it together but Huang is of a dying breed in this industry.pretty sure the new one for amd wont be at that level.will most likely leave in about 3yrs anyway.

Say anything about Jen-Hsun, how tegra sucks, how kepler was way overpriced, $3000 video cards, etc.

But the guy delivers every quarter.

<competent_leadership> + <talented_engineers> + <diversification> = Success

Its not some sort of arcane magic, but a very simple formula. The problem is filling in the variables with the right values (and those 'right values' are usually pretty expensive) to make it work. Unfortunately, companies like AMD either don't have the money, don't have the foresight, or (even worse) both, and can't get the values they need. Lisa Su may or may not be the first, AMD fired the second, and while they certainly TRY with the third they usually lack the market presence to be successful at it.

<competent_leadership> + <talented_engineers> + <diversification> = Success

Its not some sort of arcane magic, but a very simple formula. The problem is filling in the variables with the right values (and those 'right values' are usually pretty expensive) to make it work. Unfortunately, companies like AMD either don't have the money, don't have the foresight, or (even worse) both, and can't get the values they need. Lisa Su may or may not be the first, AMD fired the second, and while they certainly TRY with the third they usually lack the market presence to be successful at it.

I think AMD GPU branch has some of the best engineers. They have nowhere the budget as nvidia for R&D, yet they come out with great video cards.

Both AMD and nvidia have diversified, but nvidia has managed to at least be competitive in all its markets if not leader. On the other hand AMD is master on none.

Not surprised! NV has been on a roll by diversifying and moving into other techs. People might claim Tegra sucks but it is very, very obvious they are selling the hell of out them.

With regard to AMD, Su needs to learn from Huang on how to be a CEO. You can't keep your head buried in your desk and expect to gain any sort of influx of investment cash which AMD needs. Their cash from loans is running out and interest is killing them.

They need a strong voice to stand up and steer the ship like Huang has done. People can hate him all they want but he is the main reason NV is in the strong position they are in.

All the successful tech companies have a strong and more importantly vocal CEO to give confidence to their investors. Su better take notes and do the same.

Not surprised! NV has been on a roll by diversifying and moving into other techs. People might claim Tegra sucks but it is very, very obvious they are selling the hell of out them.

With regard to AMD, Su needs to learn from Huang on how to be a CEO. You can't keep your head buried in your desk and expect to gain any sort of influx of investment cash which AMD needs. Their cash from loans is running out and interest is killing them.

They need a strong voice to stand up and steer the ship like Huang has done. People can hate him all they want but he is the main reason NV is in the strong position they are in.

All the successful tech companies have a strong and more importantly vocal CEO to give confidence to their investors. Su better take notes and do the same.

Link?

What are you wanting a link to? People who think Tegra is some how flawed / POS or the fact they are selling.

Because, the fact NV is selling Tegra processors was in their quarterly report if you read it. Tegra division sales were up 51% or $168M. It is on the GAAP report.

In case you need extra sources here you go:

Forbes:

"Nvidia’s Tegra processor sales grew 51% year-on-year in Q3 2015, led by auto infotainment systems, mobile devices, embedded systems and the onset of the Shield tablet sales. Auto infotainment systems revenue nearly doubled year-over-year with revenue up 11% sequentially."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/11/05/nvidia-q315-performance-to-be-driven-by-pc-gaming-tegra-processors-data-centers/

Reuters:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/06/us-nvidia-results-idUSKBN0IQ2I820141106

The Tegra line's potential growth is expected to grow quarter after quarter due to NV broadening the scope of the processors use to include automobiles. Even at a lower cost per chip due to large bulk sales it will still mean a substantial income for NV over the next few years.

From Forbes:

"At present, there are more than 6 million cars using Nvidia processors on the road, and the company expects another 25 million processors to be integrated into vehicles over the next 5 years."

So back to my original comment, NV is selling a ton of Tegra's.

Back