Dell Comes Back from the Dead

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
IDC is reporting that Dell is having quite a resurgence in its business, growing almost 20% in Q3 alone. Dell has shown steady growth for the past seven quarters, giving hope to the desktop and notebook markets which had bottomed out in the past few years.

You can expect us to maintain our strategy of investing in the PC business, with more additions to our portfolio to be announced next week at Dell World.

dell.com is the worst site for buying anything but their main products.

for example, The last of us remastered had an MSRP of $50 but they kept it at $60.

the xbox one is priced at $399/$499 on their website. microsoft reduced the price by $50 for 2 months for the holidays, but dell didn't change the price.

Huh. That's strange. Just started moving our business away from Dell in favor of a company that knows what their corporate customers want in terms of a laptop. Dell has no fucking clue in that area.

Dell is a tainted brand. Lenovo and Asus make some decent laptops (for business use).
I think Dell still has wide spread support and serviceable devices.
Anyone remember the ad: "Dude, your getting a Dell!"

Huh. That's strange. Just started moving our business away from Dell in favor of a company that knows what their corporate customers want in terms of a laptop. Dell has no fucking clue in that area.

About to say the same thing. We have started mingling in the desktop space away from Dell and also with some laptop testers.

Just curious here. Can you elaborate on what specific things prompted this comment?

Ty

I just bought a dell for myself earlier this year. I was actually quite impressed with how the build quality has changed, its mostly aluminum and glass and is very solid. My work mostly bought dell and I used to hate what they gave me until I got a new workstation and laptop earlier this year from them and was also quite impressed with build quality and performance. Thats what really had me looking at dell. I hope they keep it up.

dell.com is the worst site for buying anything but their main products.

for example, The last of us remastered had an MSRP of $50 but they kept it at $60.

the xbox one is priced at $399/$499 on their website. microsoft reduced the price by $50 for 2 months for the holidays, but dell didn't change the price.

gotta have a higher starting point to account for all the reduced affiliate linked prices

If you're a State employee, Dell gives you pretty nice deals on their workstation PCs and laptops.
Got my Dell through my aunt who is a State employee for about half of what it cost on the standard site which was less than what I could have bought the parts for and assembled myself. Really not a bad deal and it works pretty well, just wound up upgrading the graphics card and adding in a SSD.

We've been happy with our Dell laptops. They give us good pricing and they stand up to heavy usage for 3+ years. After 3 years I redeploy them to other users in less critical positions (like little or no travel), and we're still using some that are 5 years old.

As for Desktops, other than the occasion drive failure, I'm much more likely to get rid of a system due to it being too old/slow/not worth upgrading than to a failure.

I loved Dell for servers, but i hate their end user options now, seem's they are going the Apple route, no more nice list of items to customize , just basically X model with these 3 configs, all you get!

At least their servers i can still configure (10000% better than HP's ass backwards configuration system)

They saved themselves by going private. Wall street destroys a lot of good companies.

Supermicro > dell for servers/workstations
Lenovo > dell for laptops

Our main reason for shit canning a lot of dell purchases was because they pulled off their configurable laptops/desktops from the premier site. It seems they put configurations back up on the web site today.

Some of Dell's Optiplex have a non-standard power supply. I thought they learned their lesson about this a few years ago.

Some of Dell's Optiplex have a non-standard power supply. I thought they learned their lesson about this a few years ago.

The smaller Precision machines have this now too. Not very happy about this change.

Us too. We just went with Cisco UCS and EMC VNX for our new VM environment because Dell cost three times as much for similar hardware specs, and we're starting to dislike their reduction in customization as well on the workstation side. We're trying to find a new option for workstations/laptops too. I don't mind at all on the server/SAN side, but I do actually like their Latitude line for laptops.

Our main reason for shit canning a lot of dell purchases was because they pulled off their configurable laptops/desktops from the premier site. It seems they put configurations back up on the web site today.

Wow, really? I'll have to take a look. This was the main reason for us looking for new workstation/laptop providers. Well, we may keep them for this then.

I have had nothing but positive experience working with Dell Laptops, whereas I have had several issues with Acer, ASUS, and HP.
A lot of companies are moving away from supporting windows 7 drivers for laptops if the laptop comes with windows 8.
Dell makes this an absolute breeze as you type in yoru service code and then BAM, an instant UP TO DATE list of the EXACT drivers you need.
Not to mention that Dell laptops have a lot more SOLID feel to them than other brands.
Dell tends to be a bit more expensive though.
Definitely worth it in the long range though IMHO.

I've had great luck with Dell laptops. I've always had one and never had an issue.

Wow, really? I'll have to take a look. This was the main reason for us looking for new workstation/laptop providers. Well, we may keep them for this then.

Don't get too awful excited about it. It looks like they pull any and all discounts from the standard configs on the customs. It can drastically increase the price more than parts alone justify.

Don't get too awful excited about it. It looks like they pull any and all discounts from the standard configs on the customs. It can drastically increase the price more than parts alone justify.

Ah, I see. Yeah, the problem we had was that we wanted to just add an SSD to a mid-range laptop config. They only offered SSD on the top end, kind of as a package. The top end config is not necessary for the people we're buying for here, but an SSD is. I'll have to check out the pricing. It will be stupid if this ends up being more than the next step up. :rolleyes:

Ah, I see. Yeah, the problem we had was that we wanted to just add an SSD to a mid-range laptop config. They only offered SSD on the top end, kind of as a package. The top end config is not necessary for the people we're buying for here, but an SSD is. I'll have to check out the pricing. It will be stupid if this ends up being more than the next step up. :rolleyes:

We were doing essentially the same thing. Ended up just saying screw it and ordered i5 machines and Crucial SSD's.

Dell is the same as any other vendor, they will take advantage when they can and compromise when they need to.

That being said Premier can be problematic, but the price to performance ratio on their products is great.

Dell is the same as any other vendor, they will take advantage when they can and compromise when they need to.

That being said Premier can be problematic, but the price to performance ratio on their products is great.

Definitely. It's not that I don't like their products anymore. The lack of configuration though kinda hampered things for us here. Especially when it was a fairly sudden change.

As far as our enterprise hardware, we simply couldn't resist Cisco UCS and EMC VNX. The price was unbeatable for what we wanted to do. Relatively small 80-core, half-terabyte of RAM, and 25 terabyte fiber channel hybrid-flash SAN. Dell couldn't touch the pricing, and we already have a lot of our other locations using the Cisco/EMC combo. (the internal knowledge helps) I do love the Dell/Compellent/Brocade combo too, but aside from costing 3 times more, it wasn't 1:1 in power on side of being more than we need for this cycle.

Back