Mobile Payments Pitting Apple Against Walmart

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Apple Pay might have a hard time breaking into the world of NFC payments thanks to Walmart.

Not all retailers have NFC terminals and even a couple who do — namely CVS and Rite Aid — have opted to turn off Apple Pay functionality. That’s because a competitive payment platform called CurrentC is forcing retailers to make a choice to accept one or the other.

Just because Apple made mobile payments available, doesn't mean retailers have to accept it!

Just like some places don't take American Express cards.

aren't most people who have an iphone too good to go into walmart anyways?

:rolleyes:

Just because Apple made mobile payments available, doesn't mean retailers have to accept it!

Ah, American Express, the card no one takes, even though the logo is in the bill pocket of the check, windows of the store, sticker on the resgister :D

aren't most people who have an iphone too good to go into walmart anyways?

:rolleyes:

They claim they are, but if you have ever seen the website peopleofwallmart you will quickly realize those photos are just too good to be taken on anything but an iphone. Or so Apple says.

Don't care about apple vs walmart, but the CurrentC is a cluster..

The whole point of it is to avoid transaction fees to credit card companies. So instead of using a CC, I have to give them my bank account info and ssn. Now if for whatever reason something is hacked or there is fraud, I'm screwed. They can complain about the damn CC fees all they want, but with the Targer, Homedepot, etc hacks, I would rather lose my credit card number then my bank account and possible identity theft.

Beyond the theft part, they can also track all my shopping across multiple stores. So now I can get spammed with other BS at walmart based on my purchases at the CVS or vice versa.

Then of course you get into the usage of CurrentC and the requirement to take pictures of qr codes and have them scanned at checkout. It's like getting stuck behind the MF'er who is trying to pay with a check.

I have no idea why any sane person would think CurrentC would be successful or worth investing in. It's a disaster. I'm not sure if Applepay will prevail, but CurrentC is destined to fail.

Ah, American Express, the card no one takes, even though the logo is in the bill pocket of the check, windows of the store, sticker on the resgister :D

Haha, PCMall doesn't take AMEX, so there!

The whole point of it is to avoid transaction fees to credit card companies. So instead of using a CC, I have to give them my bank account info and ssn. Now if for whatever reason something is hacked or there is fraud, I'm screwed. They can complain about the damn CC fees all they want, but with the Targer, Homedepot, etc hacks, I would rather lose my credit card number then my bank account and possible identity theft.

Beyond the theft part, they can also track all my shopping across multiple stores. So now I can get spammed with other BS at walmart based on my purchases at the CVS or vice versa.

Then of course you get into the usage of CurrentC and the requirement to take pictures of qr codes and have them scanned at checkout. It's like getting stuck behind the MF'er who is trying to pay with a check.

I have no idea why any sane person would think CurrentC would be successful or worth investing in. It's a disaster. I'm not sure if Applepay will prevail, but CurrentC is destined to fail.

This!!!! The last thing I want is retailers payment system tied into my checking account!

Can't Walmart just accept them both? If they can't, whichever one they choose is going to be a big win for that company, and a huge loss for the other.

I'm pretty sure CurrentC doesn't actually give retailers the bank acct info. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No lie, my cousin was on vacation in Florida this past summer and a thief stole everything out of his wallet, including his ID, but left the American Express card.:D

I'm pretty sure CurrentC doesn't actually give retailers the bank acct info. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But they are held at CurrentC, I'm assuming. A much better honeypot than a HD or Target CC database.

And since CurrentC's purpose is to cut banks out of retail transactions, I'm not thinking they will eat a result of a Third Party Hack when they don't have to.

But they are held at CurrentC, I'm assuming. A much better honeypot than a HD or Target CC database.

And since CurrentC's purpose is to cut banks out of retail transactions, I'm not thinking they will eat a result of a Third Party Hack when they don't have to.

They're going to have to if they want to compete with the banks and credit cards.

20141029.gif

I don't like that part one bit. The upside of a CC is fraud protection and the ability to dispute the charges. In this case, you're SOL if something happens.

CurrentC doesn’t work with credit cards, but rather links to shopper’s bank accounts and deducts funds much like a debit card

NFC > CurrentC

The problem is that Walmart, CVS, Target etc. signed a blood oath with CurrentC not to use any other system.
CurrentC is about corporate greed, whereas NFC is about Convenience. Customers will choose the latter.

No way I will give direct access to my bank account, much less use QR Codes.

NFC is more convenient, and because you can generate single-use CC#s among the other security benefits like dual factor identification, it's more secure. Requiring a direct link to my bank account to pay? No way. That's just insane.

I was gonna say.. CurrentC already hacked and I would not use that service no matter what they are selling.

Agreed on all these points. While I don't use a lot of cash anymore these days, it's still my Ace up my sleeve.

I have a checking account, with real checks, and an attached debit card. If I want to pay for something with that money - it's either an old school check, or cash from the ATM. Oh and that debit card never ever gets used at the store. That's what the credit card is for.

I don't like linking my real money in my accounts to anything. I prefer using the credit card middle man's money information. My credit card info has been stolen twice in my life - and it's a lot better to see those charges hit someone else's account and not my checking account. Sign the fraud forms, get a new credit card, my money was never at risk.

I love you all. Seriously.

When I went overseas, Walmart was like being a kid in a candy shop with a green light to go wild. It's just too fucking cheap.

CurrentC is the brain child and baby of some stupid fuck Wal-Mart VP named Mike Cook.

I look forward to seeing it fail.

CurrentC will turn out to be much like BestBuy's Credit Card they attempted to pawn off on everyone, a failure and a money sink that will force the company to cut back.

But I'm ok with that, I dislike Walmart enough to say I won't shop there.

CurrentC will turn out to be much like BestBuy's Credit Card they attempted to pawn off on everyone, a failure and a money sink that will force the company to cut back.

But I'm ok with that, I dislike Walmart enough to say I won't shop there.

But if walmart fails, all their shoppers will be forced to go to the stores you like :)

I don't want walmart shoppers coming to stores i shop at, the customers are the primary reason to avoid walmart.

As long as they don't attempt to stab me I don't care who's shopping in the same space.

Back