Intel Pentium 4 Settlement

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you bought a computer with a Pentium 4 in it between November 20, 2000 and June 30, 2002, you may be entitled to a cash settlement! How much money will you receive? Brace yourselves, we are talking about a one-time lump sum cash payment of up to fifteen dollars!

A proposed settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit alleging that Intel manipulated the performance benchmark scores for its first-generation Pentium 4 processors and that HP aided and abetted Intel’s allegedly unlawful conduct. Intel and HP deny any liability and all claims of misconduct and Intel contends that the performance benchmarks challenged by Plaintiffs fairly measured the performance of the Pentium 4 processor.

The lawyers who created this settlement will get a bit more than 15 dollars. They should just forget the hypocrisy of offering settlements to actual consumers and just deposit the money to the lawyers.

Suit was filed in May 2012. Over a decade after the chips came out. Heh. Talk about holding a grudge.

"Grrrr ooohhhhhh that INTEL!!!"

I've been buying AMD for years, for myself, friends, and family. Intel's strong arming of OEM's, compiler cheats, and change of socket/chipset yearly has made it a very unattractive option for me. AMD has always been good enough while leaving me extra money to drop on a better videocard.

Damn I don't qualify! I got a 3.0GHz P4 at the end of 2002, guess intel stopped cheating benchmarks by then?

Hey, $15 is $15. Too bad you can't do more than one claim, I've got a few Willamettes laying around the house here. One is still in a working Linux system.

Twelve years later? Does it even matter? Isn't there some kinda statute of limitations or something? Who keeps receipts for computer junk they bought 12 years ago?

Twelve years later? Does it even matter? Isn't there some kinda statute of limitations or something? Who keeps receipts for computer junk they bought 12 years ago?

I have receipts from the 1990s, and even some which weren't even mine from the 1980s.
Though, considering your advanced age, you should have receipts from 2016 and 1914. ;)

I think I actually qualify for this shit. I had an Alienware and am pretty sure it was running a P4.

What about roll your own PC? I bought a P4 back in the day, but I built it myself. 1.8 GHz oc'd to 2.4.

Just got a nearly $30 for owning a Toyota the other day!

I was just coming to post this. As perspective, Toyota gave us $30 because their cars could *maybe* accelerate out of control and kill us. Intel is going to give us $15 because they fudged some benchmarks?

Wow.

I have receipts from the 1990s, and even some which weren't even mine from the 1980s.

Who keeps receipts from other people's buying stuff. :eek: Do you have any idea how weird that is?

Though, considering your advanced age, you should have receipts from 2016 and 1914. ;)

Yeah, but those are all less than 90 days old, which is a lot less strange than having a way of proving the purchase of a Pentium 4 from 2002.

I'm glad I was smart enough to avoid that entire line by Intel. I purchased nothing but AMD processors from after my P3-450 until I finally broke down and bought a Core 2 Duo E8400. I had nothing but AMD processors in between those: Athlon 800, Athlon 1200, Athlon XP 2400+, Athlon XP 3200+, Athlon 64 3500+, Athlon X2 4200+, and an Athlon X2 6400+. It was a great era for AMD. I miss those days.

Ran a P4 Northwood OC for 10 years.
He never turned his back on his Kin or his kind. I rode with him. I have no complaints.

It was from an IBM PC (pre-XT) system from '82.
Pretty boss spending $4K+ on a system in the early 1980s. :eek:

Wow! Who even had that much money then? I mean, in 1982 most people were still poking stuff with sticks and being awestruck by fire. No one even knew that computers would exist much less spend so much to buy one.

Wow! Who even had that much money then? I mean, in 1982 most people were still poking stuff with sticks and being awestruck by fire. No one even knew that computers would exist much less spend so much to buy one.

The Quarda 950 I'm working on right now from '94 was $8500 for the base model.
The fully upgraded unit I had would have been around $16,000 or more at that time. :eek:

Heh sour grapes in this one. There isn't many ways for a CPU to "manipulate" benchmarks. I think they are claiming that Intel placed code in the benchmarking tools that would run well on Intel but would cripple under AMD.

Either way AMD wasn't doing bad at the time and if you wanted to pay more on ram then your actual CPU you went Intel.

We had a few clients who wanted to upgrade to P4 systems but dragged their feet for a very long time based on DDR2 pricing alone. AMD couldn't get us enough parts so they were never a real option.

Interesting.

I owned a Dell Optiplex Workstation that had a P4 1.3ghz Williamette in it purchased in August 2001. Had 512MB or Rambus RAM. Ridiculously overpriced and slow. I built a P3 1.0ghz (Tulatin I think) that nearly ran circles around it with a used chip I bought for $80, $50 motherboard, and some used SDRAM I bought off a friend for cheap and a few recycled parts. My roommate had a 1.0ghz Athlon that also ran circles around my P4. What a waste of a thousand bucks that Dell was.

If I decide to do this lawsuit, I probably will spend the $15 on a new Intel processor. Vicious cycle.:D

I had a 2001 Dell Pentium 4, it was the black and silver one where all the rest were old school beige. It was my first personal computer :) Guess I get one last gift from it

on a side not that computer was delivered to me on September 11 2001, kind of a strange coincidence :/

I was just coming to post this. As perspective, Toyota gave us $30 because their cars could *maybe* accelerate out of control and kill us. Intel is going to give us $15 because they fudged some benchmarks?

Wow.

Lol. I just received a check from the Toyota thing today. 193k miles on the car since I bought it new in 2005 and it has been great.

I didn't even sign up for that lawsuit and they sent me a check anyway. Pretty sure my car should not have been included as the floor mats are held in place with clips, and the gas pedal doesn't come anywhere close to catching on it.

I had a 2001 Dell Pentium 4, it was the black and silver one where all the rest were old school beige. It was my first personal computer :) Guess I get one last gift from it

on a side not that computer was delivered to me on September 11 2001, kind of a strange coincidence :/

Pentium 4 CPUs were an inside-job. :eek:

The Quarda 950 I'm working on right now from '94 was $8500 for the base model.
The fully upgraded unit I had would have been around $16,000 or more at that time. :eek:

Yikes! I cringe at the idea of buying a laptop that costs more than $350!

Oh um...this Quadra 950...can it run Crysis? :p

Just missed it. Was running AMD chips during those years.

I think every computer enthusiast around that time was ;)

Seriously, AMD chips were unbeatable back then. And the only people I knew running pentium 4's were people with store bought machines.

I bought a video card in 1993 for $2500. needed another $700 or so in upgrades for the computer to use it. My computer had a 120MB drive in it and the software for the video card was over over 100MB. Came on about 50 floppy disks, so I had to add a 345MB hard drive and 8MB more ram to the computer, upping it to 14MB of ram.

Epson gave me $45 a few years ago, can't remember what it was for though, maybe how the printer would stop printing even though there was still in ink in the cart.

Epson gave me $45 a few years ago, can't remember what it was for though, maybe how the printer would stop printing even though there was still in ink in the cart.

I remember that too, had an 800 something Epson but I may of printed 5 sheets total on it.

Might take a few hours to render one frame, but I'm sure it can do it. :p
This system is a lot of fun.

Just make sure to turn on 32-bit addressing mode, other wise it will default back to 24-bit, and only 16MB of RAM can be used.
What kind of RAM, you ask? FPM RAM! :D

I bought a video card in 1993 for $2500. needed another $700 or so in upgrades for the computer to use it. My computer had a 120MB drive in it and the software for the video card was over over 100MB. Came on about 50 floppy disks, so I had to add a 345MB hard drive and 8MB more ram to the computer, upping it to 14MB of ram.

That's crazy-cakes! In 1993, video cards shouldn't have even needed drivers. They should have included instructions on some kinda stone tablet that show installation, include a wooden hammer to smack it into the slot, and a whole bunch of dials and knobs on it to adjust its settings.

Might take a few hours to render one frame, but I'm sure it can do it. :p
This system is a lot of fun.

Just make sure to turn on 32-bit addressing mode, other wise it will default back to 24-bit, and only 16MB of RAM can be used.
What kind of RAM, you ask? FPM RAM! :D

FPM...like ferrite cores and stuff? Little metal doughnuts with wires and stuff holding them in some freakishly huge grid?! :eek:

Back