Crowdfunding Projects That Never Ship And Never End

HardOCP News

[H] News
Crowdfunding gone bad 101.

A project can go off the rails and fail even after its funding succeeds for a number of reasons. There can be unforeseen costs, or design problems, or a team member quits or fails to deliver their part of the project. Often, when a project skids to a halt, the final updates are obscured from the public and sent only to backers, which may be part of the reason failures are often not well-publicized.

Ooh Ooh I have the perfect link for this! Its got "scam" written all over it!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bleen-3d-without-glasses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoLcZKkwPQI#t=244
Listen to what the "scientist" has to say at 4:05 :D

And then this is their most recent update:
Today we’d like to answer one of the most frequent questions as to our patents. Let us scrutinize this in details in order for you to be confident enough to support our crowdfunding effort.

Actually, it’s a real Patent/Invention Certificate issued by the State Patent Office of the USSR in 1979.

This technology was developed by soviet scientists - Dr. Vladimir Titar and Dr. Grigory Safronov - but was not carried out due to the economic crisis and the following Perestroika.

The patent describes the invention of a television technology for recording and reproduction of 3D images. The Holographic Television Device is classified as an optical television technology. The device contains laser, object and reference channels, hologram forming unit and hologram reproducing unit with quantum amplifier being installed in the reference channel.

However, this is not a patent for our Bleen device. At that time, there was a great need in communication channels and matrices with tens of millions of pixels in order to create such device. It was impossible. At present, science has already made a great progress and facilitated for us the execution of a task. Now the average screen of Samsung TV contains 8.3 million pixels, micro-processors can handle millions of operations per second, and communication channels transfer huge amounts of 3D dynamic video content at the velocity of sound. We’re very lucky to absorb this technology and have people in a team who have been ahead of their time and created The Holographic Television Device.

Now we possess a Provisional Application that provides the means to establish an early effective filing date in a later filed Utility patent. It also allows the term “Patent Pending” to be applied in connection with the description of the invention. We plan to submit a Provisional Application with drawings of the device for our patent at the turn of the year.

For those who still want to conduct a personal investigation, we’ll send a link to Google Drive with the complete original document. Please let us know.

Please find attached the first and the last pages of the patent.

They named it Bleen because being members of the Russian mafia they trafficked in human organs. Once he held a human spleen in his hand and said "Bleack!!" and slung it across the room. The all had a good laugh and decided to start a kickstarter for a product called Bleack Spleen. They shorted it to just Bleen.

I saw that video, that's the one where they bring the dead dog back to life and have just a decapitated dog's head still responding to stimulus, right? I should license those patents, think how much people would pay to get ol' Fluffy back!

Seriously though, are there reliable numbers on how many of these fail? I would imagine it would be 80-90%+.

I thought this was a thread about Star Citizen. Because selling virtual ships will never be more profitable than now - before the game exists in a form that gives perspective on how meaningless the "investment" really is.

Preying on the power fantasies of short sleeve button down space nerds is highly profitable.

That and/or people with good ideas decide to spend the money and not deliver. Look up the Enventorbot. The internet has dug up some serious background on that guy.

I thought this was a thread about Star Citizen. Because selling virtual ships will never be more profitable than now - before the game exists in a form that gives perspective on how meaningless the "investment" really is.

Preying on the power fantasies of short sleeve button down space nerds is highly profitable.

I expected to see a Star Citizen canceled outrage thread.
Well, there's still hope. Plenty of time to screw it up still! Lol:)

I came back to this comments section because I knew it was inevitable someone freaked out about the scope of its ambition would use it as an opportunity to whine about Star Citizen when it is far too early to give a verdict on that game.

I was not mistaken.

Wasteland 2 worked out well, and as a backer I'm happy with the final product.

It is to be expected that once Kickstarter became popular, it will attract many "bad apples", but that doesn't mean that the concept itself was a problem, as proven by the succesful projects that are often ignored by the critics.

At the end of the day, every project requires money before the final product can be produced. Game developers cannot be expected to work for years on a project without getting their paycheck. Traditionally the money comes from publishers to give these dev the money they need to make a game happen. But as everyone should realize by now, not every good game gets funding. Publishers do not go after interesting ideas, they go after commercialized ideas.

Crowdfunding was meant to allow other interesting games to be made, games that otherwise would never receive the required funding from publishers.

Back