WD Expands Surveillance-Class Hard Drive Line

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company and storage industry leader, today announced the expansion of its award-winning WD Purple™ line of 3.5-inch hard drives for video surveillance applications, with the release of the 6 TB capacity. Video surveillance is a highly data-rich application within the “Internet of Things (IoT)” ecosystem. WD Purple hard drives excel in new and existing home and small business security system environments with up to eight hard drives and up to 32 high-definition (HD) video cameras. Available today, WD Purple hard drives are being offered in capacities from 1 TB up to 6 TB.

Nice to see WD got that shipment new of purple stickers......;)

Riley

I can't keep up with all these colors. Blue, black, green, red, purple. When does the rainbow HD come out that just works with everything?

I'm using Reds for my surveillance system :(... I gotta sell them all now and buy these... /s

Although, I guess for what it's worth, the 4tb purples are $6.50 cheaper than the reds at amazon right now (162.50 vs 169.00)... Neither are a spectacular price right now though.

Anandtech's simple description of the Purple line is that they are Red drives with firmware that allows them to use the ATA Streaming Command Set to support up to 32 HD cameras/channels. If you're not recording more than one thing at a time (where do you do that besides surveillance?), then it's of no interest.

The slight difference in the current price between Purple and Red is probably just market fluctuation.

Just ordered a 2TB drive with my camera system, let's see how this goes.

Back