Microsoft: Surface Pro 3 Is the Most Productive Tablet on the Planet

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft has announced to the world that the Surface Pro 3 is the most productive tablet on the planet and if you don't believe them, they have released a spiffy new video that proves it. :D

Stupid video, but the claims is pretty valid as far as I'm concerned. My SP3 has totally replaced my laptop and then some.

I really like my SP2 but it has some annoying things about it. for example:

I write/draw things in the onenote metro app. I want to send my professor my circuit to ask a question.

Do i use the snipping tool? No, can't. it takes me to the desktop.

Can I print the screen? Nope, no print screen button.

I have a "hardware update" or something that i've installed about 6 times that keeps coming up in the update center (the same one).
mine also re-starts by itself quite often when im in the middle of using it and i have no idea why.

Still, its a fantastic device that everyone that sees it is pretty amazed by it.

I write/draw things in the onenote metro app. I want to send my professor my circuit to ask a question.

The separation of Metro and desktop annoys the crap out of me.

I had one drive for business metro app installed on my SP2. You can't access the one drive folder from the desktop, dumbest thing ever lol.

I have a "hardware update" or something that i've installed about 6 times that keeps coming up in the update center (the same one).
mine also re-starts by itself quite often when im in the middle of using it and i have no idea why.

Still, its a fantastic device that everyone that sees it is pretty amazed by it.

Does Windowskey+fn+spacebar not work?

Try using the Fn + spacebar hotkey for printscreen

The separation of Metro and desktop annoys the crap out of me.

I had one drive for business metro app installed on my SP2. You can't access the one drive folder from the desktop, dumbest thing ever lol.

Yes, I have yet to understand why make it so fucking stupid. I also have the SP2 and the way some apps go through the fucking stupid Metro just boggles my mind.

Why the fuck you put this crap there?!

I still don't get it... like you need metro when using SP, let alone the SP3 being 12".

And "FULL HD"? Are they really so dumb that can't market their own products properly? Its not full hd (being 1920x1080), its MUCH MORE THAN THAT. I think its 2160x1440. Which is more than a 50% increase than full hd.

Microsoft needs a better marketing department, asap. And to get rid of "Surface RT" and "Windows RT". Lets launch two different product lines, using existing names of products (windows) that offer no back-wards compatibility with our existing line of products that share a name. Yes, lets try to confuse our consumers on purpose.

Share from the Charms and email the page? Also from any Windows 8 tablet you can hold the physical Start button and Volume down simultaneously and take a screen shot.

Stupid video, but the claims is pretty valid as far as I'm concerned. My SP3 has totally replaced my laptop and then some.

Agree, I seem to take my SP3 with me more then my MBP Renta lately

I thought I was the only one! I used to carry around a Lenovo X1 Carbon and tried the SP3 one day to do the same work. I pick it up more often than the X1 now. Snappy little machine.

Yep, for school it replaced my Gigabyte P35K. Paired with OneNote, it's pretty spectacular.

I believe screen capture is done by holding the windows logo and pressing the volume down button . It'll save the screenshot into documents/screenshots I believe.

I bought an SP3 (student discount) and love it so far. There are some headslapping situations but overall it isn't bad. I do think the change in form factor and other slight changes were nice over the SP2, but the hardware is relatively the same. I'm sure a Broadwell based SP4 will be nice.

Mine replace my desktop at work and that's saying quite a lot. Running 3 2560x1440's on it too (i7 version). It's quite the beast.

Mine replace my desktop at work and that's saying quite a lot. Running 3 2560x1440's on it too (i7 version). It's quite the beast.

You must have the dock for it.. how are you cabling the monitors up? I ask as I am getting a fully loaded SP3 next week and would like to drive 3 monitors from it.

Any SP3 owners see this display calibration issue on them? Kind of a deal breaker for me and am wondering if there's really a way to fix it or if it's a display lottery issue.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of movies on mine, but I haven't noticed or heard of this issue. It might just be luck of the draw. I just pulled up a dark movie and it looks fine IMO.

That's ad has some horrible audio. Who the hell are they trying to sell this to?

The first thing they advertise is the motherfucking kickstand.

Like I said, dumb video....but the kickstand is actually pretty useful. It's a laptop replacement with a detachable keyboard (which doesn't stand it up anyway), there are times when I want it upright.

I love the way advertisers make unsubstantiated & unprovable claims about products.

Hey Ya'll! Welcome to the new and improved Catch-A-Ride! Now with 47% more than 26% death annually. That's down from last year-hold your applause. - Scooter, Borderlands 2

Ie. another billion worth of Surface units gathering dust in storage not yet sold to retailers.

While I can certainly see the convenience of these devices, I still cannot justify the price. These things are close to, or right at, $1000 in some cases. Then again, I don't have an outstanding need for one.

Does the snipping tool hot key (WIN+S) work?

I've had my Asus EP121 already doing this before the Surface Pro's were even a thought in the minds at MS. Minus the USB 3.0, how is this any different? I can mod my EP121 with more HD space, more ram and it's running an i5 @ 1.33ghz (not the best considering, but still) and what is the Surface Pro running other than the next gen intel processors?

I've had my Asus EP121 already doing this before the Surface Pro's were even a thought in the minds at MS. Minus the USB 3.0, how is this any different? I can mod my EP121 with more HD space, more ram and it's running an i5 @ 1.33ghz (not the best considering, but still) and what is the Surface Pro running other than the next gen intel processors?

I have an EP121. It's easier to open up but the SP3 outclasses in every other way. Better build quality, considerably lighter (I think the SP3 with type cover keyboard is still lighter than the EP121 standalone), has an integrated keyboard capability and stand, much better screen, performance, battery life and this version of the n-trig digitizer might actually be a bit better than the EP121's Wacom digitizer.

Can it run office?

The SP3 is a nice machine. If I were buying a new laptop soon, I'd consider it. (I don't really consider them tablets..even though they call them that)

I love the screen color, resolution and especially the aspect ratio. Gives a very 'magazine' feel in portrait without the keyboard. Great for reading and other tablet tasks. Throw the KB on there and it's a full blown laptop. Thin, light, beautiful. I've owned all 3 Surface Pro's so far. The SP3 fixed my main issues with the first 2 generations (16:9 sucked, weight and thickness were a bit much for a tablet).

About the only thing that they have left to address is the kickstand having to support the display. If MS can design the SP3 Power Cover to hold the display upright sans kickstand, it will be as perfect as battery and silicon tech allow.

About the only thing that they have left to address is the kickstand having to support the display. If MS can design the SP3 Power Cover to hold the display upright sans kickstand, it will be as perfect as battery and silicon tech allow.

I would imagine a folding keyboard dock has got to be on the mind of the Surface team. The challenge many folding keyboard dock designs face would be weight distribution. If the main section of the Surface can hit under 1.5 lbs, which should be possible with a fanless design then you could get a total package in at 3 lbs. or a little under.

But the kickstand is still very sweet and it's a great even when you don't need the keyboard.

Any SP3 owners see this display calibration issue on them? Kind of a deal breaker for me and am wondering if there's really a way to fix it or if it's a display lottery issue.

I was going to say "No" because I haven't noticed anything like that, but after looking at a grayscale gradient, there are a couple bands that have a purplish tinge. I do watch media on mine, and I've never noticed this in the course of watching videos. It would require a uniform background at one of just a few very specific shades of grey.

Grayscale pic of my SP3, dark room so colors are a little exaggerated.

Background image for comparison:

Back