Project CARS Delayed Until March to Avoid Holiday Season

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Slightly Mad Studios is living up to its name, literally. What would be considered a move that is slightly more than crazy, the game studio has announced that it will no longer release Project Cars on November 18th as previously advertised and will opt to skip the holiday buying season altogether for a release date of March 17th.

I dunno, I can see this. The game no longer will need to compete with the AAA titles from the big name publishers for dollars upon release. Instead it gets a little more time for more polish and gets released during a slower period of the year when people will want something new and pretty. Which this game definitely is pretty.

I can understand this as well. They avoid the Holiday rush competition AND get to tweak it a bit more.

I was going to talk shit about the game needing patches on day one, but the trailer has actually impressed me.

I can understand this as well. They avoid the Holiday rush competition AND get to tweak it a bit more.

Yes, they certainly wouldn't want a game on the shelves during the holiday shopping season against all of the other simulation game competition :rolleyes:

Moving out of holiday windows is usually the best plan for games that can't stack up again Call of Duty and other large holiday hype machines.

racing games aren't my thing (though I suppose if I had a great steering wheel and set of peddles, I'd enjoy it. My first thought was that the game isn't quite ready. Assuming that's it, then kudos to them for waiting till the game is ready. Trust me, there's nothing more miserable than releasing something to meet a deadline, even when everyone involved knows it's not ready.

The game looks amazing but the car list is a little lacking.

Their line-up looks massive compared to Driveclub's piss-poor selection.

The PS4 desperately needs a good racer until GT7 comes out in 2015/16.

Doesn't matter how good it looks. if it doesn't "Feel" right... it'll be junk. This will only be known by playing it unfort. No flashy trailer will solve this issue. ;)

I was really looking forward to this game in November. I am a fan of racing games, and have been waiting on this one for a while. If they are delaying it for gameplay issues, that's cool I guess. But I don't understand how missing the "holiday season" would help their sales. I would suspect the Call of Duty kids won't be interested in this type of game anyways.

Makes no sense as the only competing game would be Forza Horizon 2 which is only available for the XB1 and the X360. My guess is that the game probably needs a little more time to get up to speed.

Yes, they certainly wouldn't want a game on the shelves during the holiday shopping season against all of the other simulation game competition :rolleyes:

You are not looking at the big picture, but there is nothing I can do about that.

I could spell it out for you, but I doubt you have the mental capacity to understand it.

Makes no sense as the only competing game would be Forza Horizon 2 which is only available for the XB1 and the X360. My guess is that the game probably needs a little more time to get up to speed.

I disagree....

November is a really busy month for AAA releases. You've got Call of Duty, Master Chief Collection, two Assassin's Creeds, GTA V, Dragon Age 3, Far Cry 4, and Little Big Planet 3 all releasing next month. And five of those titles are all releasing on the 18th, the same day Project Cars was set to launch.

They aren't worried about competing with other racing games. They are worried about competing with peoples wallets. For all the people out there that can only afford to pick up one or two of those titles, it would be easy to dismiss Project Cars. There are way to many annual franchises there that people aren't going to miss out on to pick up Project Cars instead.

As an alpha tester for Project Cars for over 2 years, I can say that it needs more polish especially for AMD users. This is a very ambitious title and does some things that have never been available in a racer before. Also the game was set to go against the best holiday lineup I have ever seen. They are going to implement some content that they just didn't have the time to finish for the November 2014 launch.

The wait will be well worth it. ;)

As an alpha tester for Project Cars for over 2 years, I can say that it needs more polish especially for AMD users. This is a very ambitious title and does some things that have never been available in a racer before. Also the game was set to go against the best holiday lineup I have ever seen. They are going to implement some content that they just didn't have the time to finish for the November 2014 launch.

Releasing a mostly problem free game is a good way to gain respect in today's climate, especially if the "tough" decision to miss a deadline for it was made, so kudos to them.

As an avid and rather skilled driver in the Grand Prix Legends simulation series, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of this title. I'm primarily interested in the driving physics. I'm hoping this will be as challenging to drive as the GPL series was. I know a lot of console players like the tinker toy arcade feel of racing titles but I don't. I'd like to see as close to a real driving/racing experience as possible with serious consequence for driving errors. For all racing simulation fans, my fingers are crossed. :D

If this title is all that its hyped to be, I have no problem waiting. I've been driving Grand Prix Legends since it was released back in 1998. It remains to this day the finest example of racing simulation despite her age. The modifications that are still being released are simply incredible. I have high hopes for Project Cars.

Their line-up looks massive compared to Driveclub's piss-poor selection.

The PS4 desperately needs a good racer until GT7 comes out in 2015/16.

I am comparing the driving list to Forza 5 - and it just seems like it is missing several of the big manufacturers.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong list -- the lists I have found don't even have a vehicle from Ferrari on it.

I am comparing the driving list to Forza 5 - and it just seems like it is missing several of the big manufacturers.

Maybe I am looking at the wrong list -- the lists I have found don't even have a vehicle from Ferrari on it.

I was just looking through the one at Wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_CARS#List_of_Cars

And yeah, you're right.. Forza 5's list is an impressive, proper selection in comparison. Project CARS is missing a ton of obvious choices.. no GT-R, no LFA, not even the Veyron?

And I don't see General Motors cars either -- the corvette GT cars are quite a name to be missing as well -- I might be mistaken but I thought they won the ALMS many times for 1999 -2014.

I don't care what manufacturer is on it list. I ONLY care about the driving/racing physics. If this is going to be another idiotic and asinine tinker toy console port, why bother. There's a big enough audience for blithering racing "games" . Forza is a children's toy.

If you have time to come down of your bullshit ill gotten pedestal for racing simulators, you will see many people like to drive more than ~15 manufacturers worth of cars and see the differences.

Also, many care about the driving and racing physics of several of the most well known manufacturers in GT racing.

And this what every software company should do. I realize all s/w has bugs, but if you know there are issues, you don't release it.

I was just looking through the one at Wikipedia..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_CARS#List_of_Cars

And yeah, you're right.. Forza 5's list is an impressive, proper selection in comparison. Project CARS is missing a ton of obvious choices.. no GT-R, no LFA, not even the Veyron?

Car makers are notoriously difficult to work with, generally you need a fairly large wallet in order to work out deals with a lot of them which is something that Microsoft have and Slighty Mad do not. Hell to this day there are still contractual agreements around thing like visible damage states.

Car makers are notoriously difficult to work with, generally you need a fairly large wallet in order to work out deals with a lot of them which is something that Microsoft have and Slighty Mad do not. Hell to this day there are still contractual agreements around thing like visible damage states.

I've heard that. Would think such a thing would simply work out as free publicity for the manufacturers.

Just ordered a Corvette stingray, sad to see it isnt in the list

I bought my Evo, mostly because I enjoyed driving that car in GT3.. was very happy to see it made the list in Project CARS.

I definitely want a game that's closer to sim than arcade, but really do want a decent selection of vehicles so that I can enjoy the differences between a wide variety of vehicles from different countries and time periods. I'm sure a flawless sim with nothing but Ariel Atoms competing would be incredibly fun, but would be very one-dimensional and ultimately a commercial flop.

No S2000/NSX/Hondas, no RX7/Mazdas, no Toyota, No Nissan yet but if they can get the GT3 GTR and the older ones that would be nice... :(. What is there is pretty good though, however mostly European.

No doubt it's the usual licensing bollox like Gran Turismo had to deal with over the years.

Looks good but physics is what I'd be wanting to see and a broader range of cars to experience that with.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/ is an excellent stop gab (or replacement?) for Project CARS on PC.
I have Cars pre-ordered, but now with AC supporting Oculus DK2, time is well spent in their virtual cars on a bunch of cool tracks, custom tracks also supported: Nurburring in an M3 is coolio :)

Back