Active Games No Better Than Traditional Games For Children

HardOCP News

[H] News
The moral of the story? If active video games didn't suck so bad maybe kids would actually play them.

He conducted a filed study with 56 children who were given access to active games for two months at home, traditional games for two months, and no games for another two months. He found that children did an average of five or six minutes more physical activity a day when they had no access to electronic games or active video games. Parents that took part in the study said that it was easier to replace traditional games with active games than it was to ban gaming altogether in their households.

I always believed the kinect thing was just a phase. I got it anyway in hopes of a free-swinging lightsaber game...

Minecraft might provoke kids to build forts in real life granted they have the space to do so.

Personally, I think active video games are mostly fun to do as a family or with friends. I dont really see them as a "phase" or just a current trend, we all enjoy them on the WiiU but they also are not a replacement for either games or actual activity.

Active games just aren't active.

When you play soccer or football or handball or or basketball or gymnastics or water polo or whatever REAL sport, you are running your ass off and burning some serious calories and building muscle. There is no way to replicate that with a WiiU in your living room. Its not going to happen.

So there's nothing wrong with video games, but every child needs to be enrolled in a team sport. Period. They have to show up for practice, kick some ass, and if they are slacking then you can start limiting XBox or internet time and the like as a punishment system, and reward with new games or whatever for milestones.

I always believed the kinect thing was just a phase. I got it anyway in hopes of a free-swinging lightsaber game...

The light saber game in Wii sports resort wan one of my kids favorite games. One of the 1st games where they played so much they where able to beat me :(

Active games just aren't active.

When you play soccer or football or handball or or basketball or gymnastics or water polo or whatever REAL sport, you are running your ass off and burning some serious calories and building muscle. There is no way to replicate that with a WiiU in your living room.

Especially once you figure out how to play these "active" games by just shaking the Wii remote, while kicked back in a recliner :)

Kids are too lazy for Dance Dance Revolution nowadays.

The Just Dance games are pretty good. But again, kids are too damn lazy.

Back