Tiny Box Anonymizes Everything You Do Online

That is awful tempting to back..

Still want to see just how secure the thing gets, but at sub $50 even if it is only 90% effective that is pretty damn good for a small plug and play box. I say this from the perspective of someone who spends quite a bit of time on hotel internet and would like it exclusively for that purpose.

"Germar points out that its rounded corners means it can even be stowed in a bodily orifice. "

Classify it as a sex toy? :eek:

Like a condom for ethernet... so... it's only 99% effective? :D

If something gets through, does your router complain to you that it missed its firmware update?

I would have said this device had merit if the NSA hadn't used a vulnerability on the TOR network to compromise it. The TOR network is highly suspect. Also, the GWC (Great Wall of China) isn't as monolithic as people think. It's constantly being adapted to see obfuscation patterns and block any attack or work around on it. It's not perfect, but it isn't dumb either. As of right now, I wouldn't trust TOR and this device won't help make it anymore secure.

Now you can experience dial-up speeds at broadband prices while you surf for CP and weed!

Or maybe you're a dissident oppressed by your government.

But you're probably surfing for CP and weed.

I would have said this device had merit if the NSA hadn't used a vulnerability on the TOR network to compromise it. The TOR network is highly suspect. Also, the GWC (Great Wall of China) isn't as monolithic as people think. It's constantly being adapted to see obfuscation patterns and block any attack or work around on it. It's not perfect, but it isn't dumb either. As of right now, I wouldn't trust TOR and this device won't help make it anymore secure.

I thought the vulnerability was in a TOR browser and not in the network itself.

Now you can experience dial-up speeds at broadband prices while you surf for CP and weed!

What's CP? Cerebral Palsy?

Or "investing" in white slavery and heroin.

This little device will become essential for us all down the road. The Internet is becoming a toilet for fuckwads that want to fuck us. :mad:

Like a condom for ethernet... so... it's only 99% effective? :D

If something gets through, does your router complain to you that it missed its firmware update?

LMAO

I wonder if they'll release a version with Firmaside :p:D

What about a Magnum edition (in Black)

The one truth you can't ignore is that for you to communicate with an intended recipient your packets must leave their origin and arrive at their intended destination. And the packets have a checksum value. And they contain information about how many packets are being transmitted and where each packet sits in the order.

Now if I collect everything then it really doesn't matter how many systems, servers, or routers you shuttle the traffic through or how you split the packets up because they still leave one place and arrive at another. All I have to do is grab it all, then match it up. It's like putting little puzzles together.

Hmm, I thought it was an exploit in the actual network that was accessed via the browser. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

What TOR network? I mean TOR isn't actually a network, that's just a descriptive. TOR still rides on the same network as everything else. The packets are just split up and sent off to different locations so the entire message usually doesn't go through the same routing points.

The one truth you can't ignore is that for you to communicate with an intended recipient your packets must leave their origin and arrive at their intended destination. And the packets have a checksum value. And they contain information about how many packets are being transmitted and where each packet sits in the order.

Now if I collect everything then it really doesn't matter how many systems, servers, or routers you shuttle the traffic through or how you split the packets up because they still leave one place and arrive at another. All I have to do is grab it all, then match it up. It's like putting little puzzles together.

And if all of those pieces are encrypted even with 256, 1024, or more? Then what?

The headers are not encrypted, if they were nothing could be routed anywhere. As for breaking the encrypted data that depends on several things.

Best I can say is this, it's a big world and people in the Intel game have been playing that world for a very long time. They frequently come up with very interesting problems to all kinds of solutions. If you really think your encrypted message can't be compromised then bet your life on it. Write an email that seriously defames the Prophet Mohamed. Make sure you include your name and email physical address. In other words, sign yourself your own death warrant. Now encrypt that baby and send it off to another machine somewhere.

Now my point isn't that it's a test that if something happens or doesn't happen that this will prove things.

It's to test your confidence, your actual belief that encryption alone is a magic shield against intrusion and discovery.

just last week we were talking about the USB exploit and how anything, any system could be compromised through this vulnerability. If the system can be compromised so can the encryption tools.

Just saying, things only work perfect when you can control the conditions. Change the conditions and anything is possible.

A typo or two in that last message, I bet you can figure out what is what.

If you really think your encrypted message can't be compromised then bet your life on it. Write an email that seriously defames the Prophet Mohamed. Make sure you include your name and email physical address. In other words, sign yourself your own death warrant. Now encrypt that baby and send it off to another machine somewhere.
Most people who don't live in a 3rd world sandpocalypse where the locals follow the most extreme version of the region's most popular religion don't even feel remotely threatened by this prospect.

Everything else you mentioned are good points.:D

A magic internet box. :( Okay whatever. Combine that with lame-o encryption that can and is broken on the fly like all the time at line speed and you're totally never gonna get caught mining bitcoins or downloading illegal movies.

Tor is pretty much too slow for anything other than text only html pages.

VPN is way better, easier and more reliable. If you can afford this gadget you can afford VPN.

I think you're right.

Fun fact, the TOR network was originally developed by the US Navy for secure communication. They realized they needed many public nodes to make it work, so they released it as TOR.

Fun fact, the TOR network was originally developed by the US Navy for secure communication. They realized they needed many public nodes to make it work, so they released it as TOR.
Do they still use it? If so, I'd lean towards it being secure enough still.

Most people who don't live in a 3rd world sandpocalypse where the locals follow the most extreme version of the region's most popular religion don't even feel remotely threatened by this prospect.

Everything else you mentioned are good points.:D

Maybe you are not so up on the subject. Here is a teaser.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Westergaard

On 12 February 2008, the Danish Security and Intelligence Service (PET) announced the arrest of three Muslims — two Tunisians and one Moroccan-born Dane — who were charged with planning to murder Westergaard.

On 1 January 2010, a 28-year-old Somali Muslim intruder armed with an axe and knife entered Westergaard's house and was subsequently shot and wounded by police.

Not sure if I would describe Denmark as a 3rd World sandpocalypse.

Maybe you are not so up on the subject. Here is a teaser.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Westergaard

Not sure if I would describe Denmark as a 3rd World sandpocalypse.

What if there are plenty of these emails going out that are properly encrypted and they failed to find who sent it? They wouldn't announce it so it would be unknown.

It's like when people say 'everyone gets caught eventually' is not entirely true, many crimes go unsolved. Not that I'm saying you are wrong, I wouldn't want to test it. Just saying, nothing is perfect and TOR might be flawed just as much as the governments tools might be flawed.

It's more of cat and mouse.

A device that small is going to have bandwidth issues

Not necessarily. A lot of consumer routers are built on the same SOC. D-Link, Asus to name a few.

From their website: "MT7620n 32bit @ 580Mhz"

580Mhz can certainly move a lot of data around and should have no issue saturating the two 100Mbit links. The TOR network will be the bottleneck, not the hardware.

Kranz is right, routing through TOR is so slow anyway so who cares. This device is for people who care more about privacy then speed.

I am thinking it probably would have an odd effect on something like Netflix. I would think that finding what you want to watch would be a frustrating pita, but once you get the stream started you'd probably be golden.

Kinda like pissing out a kidney stone :p

I was under the impression TOR was pretty much completely compromised by FBI/CIA/NSA types these days.

Routing any traffic through there just makes you look like you want to blow up embassies or share your just-off-the-presses kiddie pr0n.

The NSA has stated that TOR was a target from the get go. I doubt we even know the half of it.

The headers are not encrypted, if they were nothing could be routed anywhere. As for breaking the encrypted data that depends on several things.

Best I can say is this, it's a big world and people in the Intel game have been playing that world for a very long time. They frequently come up with very interesting problems to all kinds of solutions. If you really think your encrypted message can't be compromised then bet your life on it. Write an email that seriously defames the Prophet Mohamed. Make sure you include your name and email physical address. In other words, sign yourself your own death warrant. Now encrypt that baby and send it off to another machine somewhere.

Now my point isn't that it's a test that if something happens or doesn't happen that this will prove things.

It's to test your confidence, your actual belief that encryption alone is a magic shield against intrusion and discovery.

just last week we were talking about the USB exploit and how anything, any system could be compromised through this vulnerability. If the system can be compromised so can the encryption tools.

Just saying, things only work perfect when you can control the conditions. Change the conditions and anything is possible.

I mock any religion, especially ones that the followers are so ignorant they can only defend their beliefs through violence. In short if you have to kill or be violent in the name of your religion, then clearly it is bullshit. Either be able to defend your religion intelligently or accept the fact that you are following it because you got guilted into it, not because you actually believe it.

Apparently, not such a big deal.

"Then, the creator of Anonabox did an AMA on reddit. It was quickly discovered that the entire project was an off the shelf router found on AliExpress with reflashed firmware. The router sells for $20 in quantity one, and the Anonabox Kickstarter is giving them away with a minimum $51 pledge. The new firmware is basically a standard OpenWrt installation with a few changes to the config files. The project claims to solve the problem of hardware backdoors, but ships with a backdoor root password (the password is ‘developer!’), open WiFi, and ssh open by default. The Anonabox also claims to be a plug and play solution to security and privacy on the Internet, meaning if this project ever ships, there will be a lot of people who won’t change the default configuration. That’s rather hilarious in its implications."

http://www.reddit.com/r/anonabox/comments/2ja22g/hi_im_august_germar_a_developer_for_the_anonabox/

http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/New-2...-data-line-Wireless-Router-wi/1691403728.html

Back