Uber Flunks the Better Business Bureau Test

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the hits just keep rolling in for Uber. These guys seriously need to get their act together.

The company received an “F” rating from the Better Business Bureau on Thursday, the lowest possible rating given by the organization. The grade is based on, among other criteria, more than 90 Uber customer complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau over the last three years, most of them centering on Uber’s so-called surge pricing.

That article is nothing more than the continued media slant against Lyft and Uber. Uber has 90 BBB complaints...taxi companies have thousands. Yes, the regulated and safe taxi companies. What a load of horseshit.

Uber and Lyft have been around for years now, and the taxi companies response is to use their influence/lobby to get laws passed against Uber/Lyft. Not actually improving their services to address why people would rather use Uber/Lyft.

So they didn't pay the BBB to "resolve" customer complaints.

I still laugh when I think about the time I submitted a BBB complaint, and it automatically came back like 2 days later as "resolved" by the company with no contact with me. What a fucking scam.

To be fair though, Uber's surge pricing is fucking horrendous. My buddy took a maybe 3? 4 mile? ride from Manhattan to Brooklyn total 30 minute trip and it cost $90. That's some bullshit.

Your buddy was free to call a taxi. It is very clear up front when surge pricing is in effect and how much it is.

BBB is a joke, and has been for ages now. I thought most of us were aware of that by now, and besides, 90 complaints (some of which may be from disgruntled taxi drivers) isn't much compared to what taxis get as a whole.

Oh and cliffs notes with how the BBB works. You can't get positive reviews on BBB unless you as a company pay them. You also can't defend against negative reviews unless you again pay the BBB.

So say you are a fortune 100 business. If you don't pay the BBB, you only get negative reviews and they stick even if they are from a competitor business as no policing by BBB is done without payment. If you pay the BBB, with enough customers you get a flood of positive reviews, and the negative reviews are "resolved" by BBB following up with your business, and then removed.

So pay BBB, get a great rating, and don't pay them and you are pretty much guaranteed an F, even if the negative reviews are a microscopic fraction of your volume (or fake).

Love, love, love Uber.

That said, I did get hit up by the surge pricing last week for the first time. It was pretty horrible. I'm not sure how they can justify literally tripling the price at times. I'm not sure I'd register a complain with the BBB on it, but it does drive me to the competition. Couple good Lyft experiences willturn Uber into the back up.

Really unsure what they are thinking on the surge pricing.

Really unsure what they are thinking on the surge pricing.

They're thinking there are times when demand is high enough to allow them to make a lot more money. If nobody paid it, then things would change. Until then... pony up.

They're thinking there are times when demand is high enough to allow them to make a lot more money. If nobody paid it, then things would change. Until then... pony up.

Its assholes like you that make the world a worse place.

Oh and cliffs notes with how the BBB works. You can't get positive reviews on BBB unless you as a company pay them. You also can't defend against negative reviews unless you again pay the BBB.

So say you are a fortune 100 business. If you don't pay the BBB, you only get negative reviews and they stick even if they are from a competitor business as no policing by BBB is done without payment. If you pay the BBB, with enough customers you get a flood of positive reviews, and the negative reviews are "resolved" by BBB following up with your business, and then removed.

So pay BBB, get a great rating, and don't pay them and you are pretty much guaranteed an F, even if the negative reviews are a microscopic fraction of your volume (or fake).
Point proven when you see companies like Verizon getting an "A" rating from the BBB, when just about every customer service survey I have seen ranks the telcos and cable cos at around 65-70% customer satisfaction.

Yeah I get that. I don't think people are paying it. I do think they will drop it. I never experienced it until recently, I think they are setting the thresholds lower.

Again I don't understand why they think it's a good idea. No one is tied into Uber, you can switch to another service/cab at a moments notice. Why risk forcing people you've already won over to do that. Again, 1 or 2 good Lyft experiences after choosing them do to surge pricing, Uber's down a customer. Is now the time to risk that?

you guys do realize this has the benefit of getting more uber drivers on the road right? if my pay tripled during peak hours id make damn sure to show up for work.

I don't think that rating accurately reflects the service, so I disagree that the company needs to get its act together. Besides the opportunism in surge pricing (not used in New York after the state AG intervened), orders of magnitude more people use Uber repeatedly and without complaint.

you guys do realize this has the benefit of getting more uber drivers on the road right? if my pay tripled during peak hours id make damn sure to show up for work.

No shit. Also irrelevant.

Its assholes like you that make the world a worse place.

I'd rather have the option to pay market value for goods/services I want. If it wasn't for ticket scalpers, only jobless poor people would be able to see popular shows.

To be fair though, Uber's surge pricing is fucking horrendous. My buddy took a maybe 3? 4 mile? ride from Manhattan to Brooklyn total 30 minute trip and it cost $90. That's some bullshit.

Look, how much do you and your buddy think he should have paid?

should have taken the subway.......

Look, how much do you and your buddy think he should have paid?

I am not that guy or his buddy, but $90 - $10 (tops) for gas and wear and tear on car = $80 for 30 minutes * 2 = $160/hr

Not acceptable. Price needs to be cut in half.

Back