Get Dragon Age: Origins For Free

I know that and you know that. I just wanted to see what Dekoth-E would say.

It can be argued that Steam is the same as Origin; it's a good argument in fact. Personally the big difference is I like Valve and I hate EA so no Origin tyvm :D

But it's not the Ultimate Collection, which means you're losing out on a lot of content. I guess they're trying to sucker you in so you spend extra money on DLC.
It can be argued that Steam is the same as Origin; it's a good argument in fact. Personally the big difference is I like Valve and I hate EA so no Origin tyvm :D
This. I'm pretty sure I read in the latest version of the Steam EULA that it collects information on you in much the same way as Origin.

I've been considering the Dragon Age series as I've thoroughly enjoyed the Mass Effect Series this year and generally positive views all around for Bioware stuff. Downloading right now.

Just realized that EA really needs to bring Origin to Linux.
For what? All of the 3 games on origin's library that is compatible with linux?
But it's not the Ultimate Collection, which means you're losing out on a lot of content. I guess they're trying to sucker you in so you spend extra money on DLC.
This. I'm pretty sure I read in the latest version of the Steam EULA that it collects information on you in much the same way as Origin.
They are both POS, I buy a physical copy of a game i have to install Steam/Origin just to authenticate a game now of days so why would i bother buying a physical copy.

This is more feedback on HardOCP. I just wanted to thank you guys for starting the posting for the On The House program. Getting updates on the free games from my normal tech site is really nice.

They are both POS, I buy a physical copy of a game i have to install Steam/Origin just to authenticate a game now of days so why would i bother buying a physical copy.
Say what? Where did I make mention of buying a physical copy?

Amazing, fun game with multiple replay value.

Not only can you play different races/classes, but depending on the party members, you get a different experience as well.

Try a group with alistair, morgan, and wynne or lelanie. morgan and alistair will flirt with each other, and wynne gives them advice, or lelani gets jelaous. lol there were some good, funny conversations. The stone guy is pretty good in a group too.

I mostly remember that the game had horrible screen tearing without v-sync.

What is wrong with origin....

There verification email system hasn't worked properly in half a year.

You can't back up your purchases. (This is a problem with Steam also. Thank you GOG for spoiling me.)

Downloads and updates are slow and regularly stall out where Steam and GOG are quite speedy.

EA and many games on origin are DLC bait. You can purchase a game, but you will be almost assured that if you want the full experience, they are going to charge you twice what you paid for the original game to get all the DLC.

.....and so on. Yep, I took the bait.

What is so bad about Origin?

Same things that are bad about steam.

1) Unnecessary DRM which essentially says (We assume all our customers are dishonest)
2) Zero ownership of games. You aren't buying anything, you are renting. If I wanted to rent, I would rent. The second they choose to shut the servers down, remove features or anything else, you have zero choice it is gone. Ignoring online only games for this obviously, talking strictly of single player experiences.
3) Complete control by the developers/publishers and complete removal of any control for the customer. Sorry but if I buy an offline game, it is mine to do with as I see fit. Not for them to tell me how/when and if I can play it.
4) Prices of new release games not being even the slightest bit cheaper than buying the physical box. What a load of complete horseshit. We have known for years that the reason boxed titles are so expensive is all the overhead attached to them. Yet somehow move it to Steam/Origin and the price doesn't discount at all? Sorry if I'm not on board supporting getting ripped off. I'm saving you money by purchasing digitally as well as giving up all my rights of ownership, they should damn well offer me something.

So no I don't like origin or steam. I take issue with being treated like a pirate when I'm the paying customer.

You can't back up your purchases. (This is a problem with Steam also. Thank you GOG for spoiling me.)

Downloads and updates are slow and regularly stall out where Steam and GOG are quite speedy.

EA and many games on origin are DLC bait. You can purchase a game, but you will be almost assured that if you want the full experience, they are going to charge you twice what you paid for the original game to get all the DLC.

Their verification email system....

1) There verification email system hasn't worked properly in half a year.

2) You can't back up your purchases. (This is a problem with Steam also. Thank you GOG for spoiling me.)

3) Downloads and updates are slow and regularly stall out where Steam and GOG are quite speedy.

4) EA and many games on origin are DLC bait. You can purchase a game, but you will be almost assured that if you want the full experience, they are going to charge you twice what you paid for the original game to get all the DLC.

R1) On the rare times I do need to utilize the e-mail verification system to authorize my PC it works every time.

R2) What do you mean you can't "back up your purchases with Steam," they do have a backup feature, I have all of my primarily downloaded games backed up so I can install them quickly when I format. or whatever it may be.

R3) Have not had "slow and or stalling" downloads from them either.

R4) This is games in general for the most part now days, it is not just an EA thing, day-one dlc is becoming way too common now days across the board.

Not defending EA/Origin in any way, I much prefer Steams content delivery service myself, and with the whole way the whole Steam/Origin deal went down when they released their service put a bad taste in my mouth, I still do have it installed and use it for the games that I (rarely) play on their platform.

I find their downloads just as fast as Steam if not faster. I've never experienced one stall out. Some of their older games may need manual patching, but if you've been gaming on PC for years it's second nature.

Buy their games with DLC on Amazon or Steam during sales. Problem solved.

and please note this is the STANDARD edition of Dragon Age Origins. Is there anyone here that played just the basic game w/o DLC?

It'sa fishing expedition for EA to rake in a little more before the DA3 comes out. :rolleyes:

Other than no native ability to back up your purchases vs downloading again.

Yeah you can. Same as Steam for me. I copy Steamapps to another HDD/partition, I copy the Origin folder to another HDD/partition when I reinstall Windows.

Unless you're talking about something different.

What's wrong with origin?

umm...let's see...where to start

I know, stability issues.
The need to install a plugin/extension for your web browser to launch a launcher which then launches a website which in turn launches something else and at some point later, it launches the game.

Reliance on punkbuster which causes more headaches than cheaters it blocks (one of the reasons why I quit playing Battlefield shortly after launch)

Lack of other OS options
Extreme DRM
Hasn't matured enough (Steam has had many years to mature)
EA games seemed to update just fine when they were on Steam; buggy on Origin

etc.

Stability and reliability are some of the key issues.

It's a free game. Why all the fuss? It's not like you are forced to get DLC.

I will be downloading it as soon as I get home.

What's wrong with origin?

umm...let's see...where to start

I know, stability issues.

It works okay for me. It did have problems like a while ago, but it never seems to have problems now.

The need to install a plugin/extension for your web browser to launch a launcher which then launches a website which in turn launches something else and at some point later, it launches the game.

What? I don't have a plugin or any of that weirdness on my computer. What browser are you using?

Reliance on punkbuster which causes more headaches than cheaters it blocks (one of the reasons why I quit playing Battlefield shortly after launch)

IDK about that. I've never even heard of punkbuster.

Lack of other OS options

They do need to fix that.

Extreme DRM

All of the games I have launch without Origin being even active. I play Sims 2 Ultimate Edition like a lot and Origin doesn't need to be active and there's no sign of DRM stuff.

Hasn't matured enough (Steam has had many years to mature)

That was so 2 years ago.

EA games seemed to update just fine when they were on Steam; buggy on Origin

etc.

Stability and reliability are some of the key issues.

Also so two years ago.

So basically you haven't used it in a long time and refuse to try it because of a past bad experience. I felt the same way too and I tried it again a couple months ago when free Sims 2 came out and OMG, it's great now. It's hard to overcome the past and approach stuff with an open mind again after the first impression, but whatevs if Steam is okay for you, then that's cool too.

and please note this is the STANDARD edition of Dragon Age Origins. Is there anyone here that played just the basic game w/o DLC?
DAO is still a 50+ hour game (and way more with multiple playthroughs) even without the DLCs. I also wouldn't put DAO as the poster child for DLC abuse (unlike say Mass Effect 2/3 DLC which almost never get discounted) as the complete DAO Ultimate edition has often in the past been sold for $5.

Bone_Enterprise said:
R2) What do you mean you can't "back up your purchases with Steam," they do have a backup feature, I have all of my primarily downloaded games backed up so I can install them quickly when I format. or whatever it may be.
PCunicorn said:
Yeah you can. Same as Steam for me. I copy Steamapps to another HDD/partition, I copy the Origin folder to another HDD/partition when I reinstall Windows.

Unless you're talking about something different.
You're talking about local storage, not a backup. GOG.COM does backups, Steam and Origin do not. Pretend there was a problem with their server, your internet, your account, or better yet, EA decided to discontinue support for a game (which they've done before). Would you still be able to play your game? For Origin and Steam the answer is no (steam has an offline mode, but it's still prone to failure). The point is handing control over your ability to play a game that you've bought to such a loving and benevolent company as EA isn't a precedent a lot of us want to set.

The game is free. So what if you have to pay some for DLC that if you really wanted in the first place you would have bought the game for.

The Origin client is so much faster than Steam's.

Back