Maxwell Comes to Notebooks

HardOCP News

[H] News
NVIDIA recently unleashed an onslaught on the gaming world, an onslaught named Maxwell. We launched the new graphics architecture during GAME24, an unprecedented 24-hour celebration of gaming. And it blew away gamers across the globe. We held onto one big secret, which we’re revealing today: the introduction of the GeForce GTX 970M and GeForce GTX 980M notebook GPUs. Maxwell, the company’s 10th-generation GPU architecture, is undeniably the world’s most advanced. It solves some of the most complex lighting and graphics challenges in visual computing. And it does so with twice the energy efficiency of the previous generation. It’s a combination that will pay huge dividends in notebooks.

They finally announced them, wonder when we still start to see the notebooks with them.

It's basically a "hard launch." You'll see notebook manufacturers make press announcements of new models (some already have like MSI). Reviewers actually already have access to samples and have posted reviews.

Some NA retailers are already listing laptops.

Looks like the GTX980m is near the performance of the standard GTX780.. wow!

Laptops havr started to appear already. Mostly msi's on new egg and amazon. Alot of options on xoticpc (I recommend them).

The msi's are mostly 3GB VRAM. Sager has models that are 6GB VRAM for the same cost if not less. This for the 970M.

970m is where I will be at, Newegg already has one for 1,499.99, so I just need to save up another $400, lol.

To pricy for my blood atm

Think I may have to drop back to my Y50

Or try to save about $250 more and I can get the upgrade for some Sager laptops, so around $1350.

I'm assuming this chip will not be backward compatible with every laptop sporting a MXM 3.0 slot(assuming the bios does not use a whitelist)?

I thinking of dropping either $1100 for the GL551JM from ASUS which had 16GB, i7-4710hq, 1TB 7200RPM, 860M Maxwell 2GB
OR
getting a Sager with 16gb, 2gb maxwell 860, 1 TB 7200rpm.... basically the same thing as the ASUS but with a slightly better screen for $1120
OR
Getting a Sager with 8GB, 3GB Maxwell 970, 1 TB 7200rm for around $1400

But right now I simply dont have the funds for anything really over $1100

I'd really like to get a new Windows laptop with this GPU but with a high resolution like 2560x1600, or more (has to be 16:10 AR). That newly announced MSI GS60 only has a puny 1080p display. Can't do it. I sure hope someone releases exactly what I'm hoping for.

I'd really like to get a new Windows laptop with this GPU but with a high resolution like 2560x1600, or more (has to be 16:10 AR). That newly announced MSI GS60 only has a puny 1080p display. Can't do it. I sure hope someone releases exactly what I'm hoping for.

I believe there is a 3K version of the same computer...

I've been in the market for a MSI Ghost series for the past month or so, (waited on Maxwell) I'm not in a huge rush, I just want a good deal. The 1080p version with a 970M is going for 1799 I believe. While do-able, I'll wait till I see $1699 or less.

Granted the laptop I'm using is a 15.6" dell inspiron, 1366x768 - so 1080p would actually be a nice upgrade for me, but still sucky relative to the 1440P 27" i use at home on my desktop.

On reason why I'm hesitant about paying more for a superHD screen on a laptop... when i DO want to run a game... even though it's the latest and greatest, a 970M chip won't be able to crank out 3K graphics @ 60fps with all the eye candy turned on like I usually love. Might sound lame, but I'd kinda rather have a 1080p screen that allows me to fully max any and all games I do play on a laptop.

I thinking of dropping either $1100 for the GL551JM from ASUS which had 16GB, i7-4710hq, 1TB 7200RPM, 860M Maxwell 2GB
OR
getting a Sager with 16gb, 2gb maxwell 860, 1 TB 7200rpm.... basically the same thing as the ASUS but with a slightly better screen for $1120
OR
Getting a Sager with 8GB, 3GB Maxwell 970, 1 TB 7200rm for around $1400

But right now I simply dont have the funds for anything really over $1100

I was considering a Lenovo Y50/Y50 Touch for $1K-$1.2K or the ASUS GL551 but since I won't be using the laptop much and probably won't game on it I went and bought the Newegg deal on the Gigabyte P15V2 with a cheapo ASUS tablet for $909 shipped only, it has nearly identical specs except that it has the 850M instead of the 860M (860M is an overclocked 850M anyway).

One reason why I'm hesitant about paying more for a superHD screen on a laptop... when i DO want to run a game... even though it's the latest and greatest, a 970M chip won't be able to crank out 3K graphics @ 60fps with all the eye candy turned on like I usually love. Might sound lame, but I'd kinda rather have a 1080p screen that allows me to fully max any and all games I do play on a laptop.
That's why I'd rather settle in the upper end of the middle with something like 2560x1600 with a 16:10 aspect ratio and not anything ridiculous like 4k or 3k. If the GTX980m really is comparable to the GTX780 it should be able to run decent graphics at 2560x1600 @ 60 fps. My current Macbook Pro Retina laptop is 2560x1600 and I love it for browsing/productivity and I use to love that res for gaming when I had my Dell 30" 3008WFP a couple years ago.

1080p, that's just too small for me personally. I have that on my Note 3 and that's about where I think it should be.

Last edited:
any word on 960m? If not than I am grabbing a 970m.

Hope these things work with Sager NP9150 series 15" laptops... if so Im sold!

Dunno about the NP9150, but my NP8268-S has the 970m in it and is stunning.

Tempting, really really tempting.

I think I'm going to hold off until the next generation of mobile Maxwell when the die shrink happens. Should hopefully be bringing better performance, less power draw, and less heat to the table (lap).

loving my GhostPro60 44 with the 970m

15" 1080p -- both alien isolation, titanfall, and even BF4 run smooth as hell almost maxxed.

plus it's super light and portable too, build quality is excellent.

loving my GhostPro60 44 with the 970m

15" 1080p -- both alien isolation, titanfall, and even BF4 run smooth as hell almost maxxed.

plus it's super light and portable too, build quality is excellent.

Nice, im just waiting on my vendor, Mythlogic, to validate the NP9150 sager if it can support the card. I do not see why it wouldn't, it probably runs cool due to the newer process. It is a 2 year old model and has currently a GTX680M which is no bitch.

8GB VRAM is fucking delicious and I cant wait to get the card in my laptop.

Back