GNOME 3.14 Is Winning Back Linux Users

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The recent release of Gnome 3.14, with its redesigned shell and applications, is beginning to win back disillusioned Gnome users that jumped ship from several versions past.

GNOME is getting better and better. Even if you like Ubuntu, there’s now an official GNOME "spin off" of Ubuntu that you can use to get GNOME and Ubuntu together.

I actually feel like gnome 3.14 made things worst. the sidebar and panel are just too big. It felt like they were trying to copy Android. I went back to MATE with XFce

I went from KDE to Gnome to Unity to Gnome to KDE. I tried Gnome 3 for 4 months and I could never get used to it. I tried to be open minded and tried to learn how to use Gnome 3. However, I gave up and went to KDE. Gnome 3 is too restrictive and lost too many features from Gnome 2.

This sums Gnome 3 up from Linus

The developers have apparently decided that it's 'too complicated’ to actually do real work on your desktop, and have decided to make it really annoying to do.

Seriously why is Gnome 3 good? I stick with mostly Cinnamon and XFCE. Gnome 3 is essentially Unity, and they suck.

I've become rather fond of Trinity lately. Yeah, works a lot like Win7 but, if it aint broke... plus it runs nice and fast on my old laptop.

*cough* systemd hard dependency...
Why the hell does a userland application need to entwine itself with the init system

XFCE or Gnome 2.x are what professionals use to get the job done... Gnome 3.x is fail.

Winning back? The only users that don't like gnome 3 are gnome 2 users. They're still linux users. Gnome 3 is winning mac and windows users over.

I'm one of those people that actually liked Unity when it came out (and still use it), and didn't really mind Gnome 3. I also instantly liked Windows 8 when it came out and much prefer it to Windows 7.

Judging from everyone else's reactions to these desktop environments, I feel like there's something wrong with me. :-/

Winning back? The only users that don't like gnome 3 are gnome 2 users. They're still linux users. Gnome 3 is winning mac and windows users over.

Yes, and they can keep it.
"I don't know what any of these programs are, but hey, I know this button is the Internet, I'm so smart!" :rolleyes:

Actually, it sounds more like it is winning over Android and iOS users.

How does it compare to Cinnamon and Mate?

Very happy with Cinnamon right now, but I am open to considering other alternatives, if they work for me.

*cough* systemd hard dependency...
Why the hell does a userland application need to entwine itself with the init system

For political reasons, of course. Quite common in the Linux world.

I am still using kde.

I havent used KDE since the 90's.

For the last 15 years or so, I've been one of those users who felt the Gnome2-like experience was the ideal desktop experience.

When Ubuntu dropped Gnome2 as an option in favor of Unity I totally chafed at it and refused to use it. I switched to Mint at that point and that's where I've stayed.

As far as current desktops go, I've tried various ones through live CD's each time I've reinstalled (like current KDE, Gnome3, Enlightenment, Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE, etc.)

The only ones I find comfortable to work with are Mate and Cinnamon. Mate feels a bit more dated (presumably since it is a fork of Gnome2 code) I've just kind of stuck with Cinnamon, which works well for me.

Zarathustra[H];1041146613 said:
The only ones I find comfortable to work with are Mate and Cinnamon. Mate feels a bit more dated (presumably since it is a fork of Gnome2 code) I've just kind of stuck with Cinnamon, which works well for me.

Ah, that would explain why I've enjoyed it so much.

Back