Global And US Internet Speeds Increasing

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although it may not seem like it, the latest report from Akamai says internet speeds are increasing almost everywhere in the US.

Major ISPs, such as AT&T and Verizon, are pleading with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) not to boost its definition of broadband to 10 Megabits per second (Mbps) from its current benchmark of 4Mbps. Ironically, Akamai's latest report on The State of the Internet for the 2nd quarter of 2014, says "a total of 39 states saw 4K readiness rate more than double over the past year." That is to say, these states saw a major increase in the availability of the 15Mpbs speed needed for 4K video.

oh plzzzz dont set broadband definition to 10mbps because then we wont be able to charge 55 USD/mo for 6mbit DSL !

lol what a joke. Raise the definition to 15-20mb/sec. That is what it takes to "enjoy" a lot of what makes the internet entertaining. The only reason they don't want it changed is most of them would fail or nearly fail that benchmark. Really depressing the state of our internet in the US. Especially those of us in rural areas, who get shunned by the big providers, and left to whomever is hungry enough to try to sell to us; which is usually sub par offerings.

Well, my speed on Comcast went up pretty nicely over the last year. I went from their 25Mb to their 50Mb service two years ago as a free upgrade, but barely saw any improvement at the time, but the effective performance since then has gone up. I guess they made some changes behind the scenes. I do actually get about 15-18Mb effective performance now during prime time, which I was only getting about 10Mb a year ago. I guess Comcast aren't complete buffoons, just mostly.

Well, my speed on Comcast went up pretty nicely over the last year. I went from their 25Mb to their 50Mb service two years ago as a free upgrade, but barely saw any improvement at the time, but the effective performance since then has gone up. I guess they made some changes behind the scenes. I do actually get about 15-18Mb effective performance now during prime time, which I was only getting about 10Mb a year ago. I guess Comcast aren't complete buffoons, just mostly.

Id still say that speed is bogus. If i pay for 50 Mbps i damn well better get a constant 50 Mbps. I dont understand how this shit doesnt fall under false advertisement

Id still say that speed is bogus. If i pay for 50 Mbps i damn well better get a constant 50 Mbps. I dont understand how this shit doesnt fall under false advertisement

Its hard to regulate that. Just because you have a 50Mbps pipe on Comcast's side doesn't mean the server you're pulling data from can sustain your connection 100%. For all you know it's on a T1 connection still.

With that said; the above example is rarely the case.

When I was on residential comcast I paid for 50 Mbps, I usually got around 25-35 Mbps. Then I switched to business comcast 50 Mbps, I get constant 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.

speed for my local time warner offerings didnt go up...........but my bill sure as hell did.

lol what a joke. Raise the definition to 15-20mb/sec. That is what it takes to "enjoy" a lot of what makes the internet entertaining. The only reason they don't want it changed is most of them would fail or nearly fail that benchmark. Really depressing the state of our internet in the US. Especially those of us in rural areas, who get shunned by the big providers, and left to whomever is hungry enough to try to sell to us; which is usually sub par offerings.

I still wonder how anyone lives with anything less than 18 Mbps. Must suck living in the country since a lot of the content online requires high bandwidth to begin with.

The usual suspects whining about data usage. Nothing to see here. Move along...

If those two CEO's spent as much time improving their companies as they did complaining about their customers actually using the services they are paying for, we'd have low cost gigabit WiFi by now.

When I was on residential comcast I paid for 50 Mbps, I usually got around 25-35 Mbps. Then I switched to business comcast 50 Mbps, I get constant 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.

Yeah even at 100Mbps my downloads instantly peg the connection (Comcast Business) until they are done, example:

100.png

I don't recall any situations, even in the past, where I didn't get the advertised speeds. Comcast is also currently upgrading their network (and users) to be fully DOCSIS 3.0 compliant, with an eye toward DOCSIS 3.1. That will bring us the potential for Gigabit or near Gigabit speeds in the near future.

Because of the fine print saying "Actual speeds may vary".

Back