Battlefield Hardline "Will Work" at Launch

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you have to assure people your "game "will work" at launch.

"What you're basically asking is, 'Is you're game going to work?' and the answer is yes, it's gonna work. We already had one very successful beta, we're going to have another beta on every platform we ship on. We take shipping a working game pretty seriously. So, yes, the game will work."

Hahahaha. What a fucking joke. We haven't had a game work at launch for 5 years.

I think they are seeing a dent in pre-order and launch day sales to have to bring stuff like this up. A lot of gamers are done with the pre-order BS and getting a broken or unfinished game.

Next, first day or month DLC. Even worse is when the DLC is included in the game, just "deactivated".

There's basically no way for them to fail on this. "Will work" could mean just about anything. Does the splash play and then CTD? It works!

The beta was garbage. I played it for about an hour and then uninstalled it because the gameplay was painfully slow, the controls were painfully bad, and the maps were uninspiring and difficult to navigate.

Then, yeah, they said this about Titanfall, which I really love, but it wasn't in what I would call professional/launch condition until the 4th update - which came months after release. By then the community was already fragmented and people who had been considering buying the game got scared off because of all the bad press surrounding the bugs and performance problems.

Wont be wasting my money on this one. I have not liked any of the last couple Battlefield installments. The betas sucked and the games were worse. These game companies are greedy these days and ti will be there downfall.

^ agreed. I'll wait this one out. It may well be a very long time :p

My last satisfied BF purchase was Bad Company 2 and I still play that game

Hahahaha. What a fucking joke. We haven't had a game work at launch for 5 years.

You know, that's pretty much my experience with AAA games on PC and Console. Playing on launch week was a disaster.

I remember:
BF2: initial launch had network/login issues, CTD issues and terrible load times (cache textures etc), awards delayed
BF2142: Random server disconnects, awards delayed
BFBC2 : Didn't play -- Not counting against the franchise
BF3: disaster on launch, server crashes, server disconnects
BF4: disaster on launch, server crashes, CTD issues, random disconnects

I think it's a fair question given the checkered history of every title in the franchise.

And this wasn't limited to PC, I had terrible lauch experiences on all the console launches for the "other game" since "Other game:2"

I played BF2 for hundreds of hours, 2142 same time, BF3 hundreds of hours, and BF4 hundreds of hours. I love the games. I'm not pre-ordering jack, I'm not playing release week. They will not get my money, no matter how much I love the franchise, not until there are independent reviews.

Pretty fucking sad that a company has to promote their game like this.

Just goes to show you that we have as a whole accepted mediocrity.

I'm a fan of BF series, and this looks like it'll be a good game. I just don't have much faith that it will work as it should (working vs. working as to where it's playable without frustration). BF4 took a while to actually work. Things would be fine, then stutter for a while, then server disconnect. I blamed the ISP for a while, until I found it was fairly common.

What I love is that they are having a beta to make sure it works...

They had a BF4 beta, it crashed just like the go love production version.

Now to be fair, I personally think BF4 fans where overly hard on the hit reg issues. It wasn't as bad a BF3 (when it launched) but was still there. I do blame dice in taking over a year to fix the issue though.

I also didn't have all the crashes people were talking about at launch, sure every once in a while but I think I upgraded to win 8 due to better performance in BF4.

It'll work like my bf4 has(n't) worked for the past four months.

It will (mostly) work because Hardline is just a mod to BF4. It's a mod you pay for.

I've played every game in the BF series since OG 1942, and I think I am done with the series after the BF4 debacle. The game has been out for over a year, and they are still futzing with the netcode. I still get memory leak and crash issues from time to time. The game is currently in a state that might have been barely acceptable at launch.

The Hardline demo was just a train wreck. Unless they radically change the game play, it's just a barely warmed over BF4 with more confusing game modes and a stupid leveling system. It would have made a passable DLC. As a stand alone title :rolleyes:

I've played every game in the BF series since OG 1942, and I think I am done with the series after the BF4 debacle. The game has been out for over a year, and they are still futzing with the netcode. I still get memory leak and crash issues from time to time. The game is currently in a state that might have been barely acceptable at launch.

The Hardline demo was just a train wreck. Unless they radically change the game play, it's just a barely warmed over BF4 with more confusing game modes and a stupid leveling system. It would have made a passable DLC. As a stand alone title :rolleyes:

I would add to my prior post that . BF 1942 Desert Combat mod, even in early Beta stages, was less buggy than BF4. And it was developed for free by a bunch of enthusiasts.

They STILL haven't BF4 over a year after launch. Yes, I know the "big patch" is tomorrow and might finally fix the game, but it only took them 6 months to even start acknowledging the problems, and then another 2-3 months to begin doing anything about it, and now that the last DLC pack is about to launch, they finally have a patch that might fix it?

I don't care if EA claims the game "will work", the game needs to work correctly. None of this netcode favoring high ping bullshit so I get killed long after running behind walls. No guns with goofy delays. No sights with recoil animations that don't even match the actual shooting patterns of the guns. That's not even including the game server crashes mid-match, the client crashes on launch, the sound loop crashes, the audio disappearing, the multi GPU bugs screwing up textures, etc. Hell, I wasn't even concerned about "balance" between weapons and vehicles in BF4, as the game itself was fun... when it worked, and then something would eventually break.

I'm not pre-ordering this, and I doubt I'll ever be bothered to buy it except maybe if I see it for $10 and want to give it a try for a weekend after I've read that the game isn't a mess like BF4.

Games that work properly at launch are pretty damn rare now!

Too much risk buying at launch now.

It will (mostly) work because Hardline is just a mod to BF4. It's a mod you pay for.

^ This.

If they implement all the CTE fixes including the ones coming out in the next couple of days then I might consider buying when it's around $20. Otherwise no.

I am suddenly longing for the the old days of FPS when they were titles like Unreal Tournament and CoD United Offensive. This is why I still play Counter Strike

[
I am suddenly longing for the the old days of FPS when they were titles like Unreal Tournament and CoD United Offensive. This is why I still play Counter Strike

Well then, check out Toxikk.

I had saw nothing about it until [H] posted that story about it's reveal trailer, but it looks very promising for anyone who likes old school arena type shooters.

This just goes to show you how shitty the whole industry has become.

You know, that's pretty much my experience with AAA games on PC and Console. Playing on launch week was a disaster.

I remember:
BF2: initial launch had network/login issues, CTD issues and terrible load times (cache textures etc), awards delayed
BF2142: Random server disconnects, awards delayed
BFBC2 : Didn't play -- Not counting against the franchise
BF3: disaster on launch, server crashes, server disconnects
BF4: disaster on launch, server crashes, CTD issues, random disconnects

I think it's a fair question given the checkered history of every title in the franchise.

And this wasn't limited to PC, I had terrible lauch experiences on all the console launches for the "other game" since "Other game:2"

I played BF2 for hundreds of hours, 2142 same time, BF3 hundreds of hours, and BF4 hundreds of hours. I love the games. I'm not pre-ordering jack, I'm not playing release week. They will not get my money, no matter how much I love the franchise, not until there are independent reviews.

Didn't BF42 have issues on launch? And Codename Eagle before that? This is the DICE legacy.

Heck, I remember BFV and some of the '42 expansion packs not working correctly until a few patches in.

I have always said this and will say it again... BF games are amazing experiences when they aren't buggy pieces of shit. I have been playing since the original BF:Vietnam back in 2004. They have always had problems. But fuck were they fun to play when they worked.

It will be another buggy mess as always. I was a huge fan of Battlefield but have refused to give another cent to EA, and DICE still hasn't fixed the bugs from bf2, bfbc2, bf3, or bf4. I still play bfbc2 today, and have skipped everything since then, as I continue to stand by my boycott.

It will be another buggy mess as always. I was a huge fan of Battlefield but have refused to give another cent to EA, and DICE still hasn't fixed the bugs from bf2, bfbc2, bf3, or bf4. I still play bfbc2 today, and have skipped everything since then, as I continue to stand by my boycott.

So, "DICE hasn't fixed bugs from BF3/BF4", but you've never even played BF3 or BF4. :rolleyes:

You know there are legitimate problems with these games, and then there's just the bandwagon of dumb that compounds and clouds the legit problems with the "OMG JUST FIX THE GAYME DICE C'MON".

FWIW BF3 plays fine and I haven't had a problem with BF4 since a few weeks after launch. Half the people whining about "netcode" in BF4 are just bad players that don't understand there's a learning curve to getting better at the game. The changes in the CTE are stellar as well.

If you're going to criticize a game, FFS at least have the honesty to be playing it.

So, "DICE hasn't fixed bugs from BF3/BF4", but you've never even played BF3 or BF4. :rolleyes:

You know there are legitimate problems with these games, and then there's just the bandwagon of dumb that compounds and clouds the legit problems with the "OMG JUST FIX THE GAYME DICE C'MON".

FWIW BF3 plays fine and I haven't had a problem with BF4 since a few weeks after launch. Half the people whining about "netcode" in BF4 are just bad players that don't understand there's a learning curve to getting better at the game. The changes in the CTE are stellar as well.

Never had a problem with BF3. BF4 I have with the network stuff. Going along fine, then gets real stuttery then quits. Been great for a long time, though. Good game. I still enjoy playing it. If I can get my son to put down Shadow of Mordor in the next few weeks (months), I'll be playing it again. Gotta go get my 2 kills and 19 deaths. :D

I got Sims 4 for my daughter. That's a buggy ass mess. Basically everyone crashes all the time.... kinda kills the immersion. Sounds like it was patched in too. Reminds me of how BF4 was fine, then one patch comes along and SLI/Crossfire is unusable. It boggles my mind how these giant titles have such piss poor quality control.

You're vs. your they can't even put out a proper press release I have no doubt they can code as well as they can write english.

Or maybe they used the same spell checker as chrome does as it just told me I spelled english wrong.

I have always said this and will say it again... BF games are amazing experiences when they aren't buggy pieces of shit. I have been playing since the original BF:Vietnam back in 2004. They have always had problems. But fuck were they fun to play when they worked.

^This.

That is why I keep coming back for the headaches. It is super fun, when it works.

Granted in this scenario, Hardline is reaping the benefit of being beta tested as BF4 for the better part of a year. Its great that they are actually learning from their past rather than forgetting everything, however it is sad that they are comfortable doing it at the expense of such a great (or previously great) franchise.

If you need a year plus long mass market beta test, then you are doing everything wrong. i.e. you are doing a fucking terrible job at making games. I would be way happier with games if they made 2 multiplayer levels and made them as close to perfect as you can get in every way, than the shit we have to deal with now.

Didn't BF42 have issues on launch? And Codename Eagle before that? This is the DICE legacy.

Heck, I remember BFV and some of the '42 expansion packs not working correctly until a few patches in.

1942 was a mess at launch. I still remember unloading entire clips on people and not a single hit. Tons of glitches. Networking issues. Ahh the good ole days...

I actually have only played 1942, BF 2, and BF4. They all had issues at launch. I didn't by BF4 at launch but a month or so later. It seemed to be in similar state as I recall 10yrs previous with 42 and BF2, but maybe it was even worse on launch day?

Somebody needs to bring back tribes so I can get my vehicle + shooter fix and not have to deal with EA.

Back