PiPO Unveils the W4: a Windows 8.1 Mini-Tablet for $81

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Thinking about investing in a small tablet, but not completely sold on the idea because of the price? PiPO, a Chinese tablet manufacturer, has announced a rock-bottom priced 8” LCD tablet running Windows 8.1, called the W4. At present, the W4 is concept only, but will go into production soon.

It is cheap but if you know how much the assembly costs are then it prolly is totally free of cost of OS and CPU.

why the 1GB of ram! add another gig and sell it for 99$ and I would buy one in a heart beat

why the 1GB of ram! add another gig and sell it for 99$ and I would buy one in a heart beat

Same here. Even if it had a crap display, it'd still be worth $100 to me.

I would probably make a custom mount and use it as a remote control for home theater and automation stuff.

I wonder if it'll run Android...
Just might be worth it then to me.

I would probably make a custom mount and use it as a remote control for home theater and automation stuff.

If you are using this as a controller than 1gb is over kill for what you need.

I agree with the 1gb ram issue.. you see this with a lot of under-300$ hardware (I have been looking) it is typically castrated on the wrong places.

I see someone is already marking one at $90 at 100 units.

I agree more ram would be better at a slightly higher price but still! At this price point, and all I can find on the processor seems to point to it being x86 makes me really interested in these! If I could just load some of the educational software on these then it would be worth it!

Indeed, makers of the terribly laggy $1000+ executive conferencing system remote controller touchscreens must be quaking in their boots...

If it's anything like the sub $100 Android tablets out there, no thanks. For use as a remote, sure, but not general purpose use. Wayyy too laggy.

I'm going to be selling huge diamonds for $81; alert the press I want free publicity!

By the way this is a "concept only", does not exist, and will cost significantly more once produced.

Best $80 8" android tablet I've found so far has been dual core arm with a gig of ran and 8 gig memory.
This would be a nice step up at the same price point.

Indeed, makers of the terribly laggy $1000+ executive conferencing system remote controller touchscreens must be quaking in their boots...

Probably should me. Full Windows 8.1 (or 9 or whatever) to create custom software to control anything. One click to see security cameras. One click to do home automation/lawn irrigation/alarm system. One click to bring up Logitech remote control. Xbox One Smartglass. Hell, even Polycom units have software on the PC to control video conferencing. Nest and other thermostats.

Already doable with many Android tablets, but with Windows 8.x/9, you have more flexibility (IMO).

Plus, if you drop it or it gets broken, you're out $100 and not $1000. I've found a lot of those "executive" remotes and devices are just standard equipment with a different name on it and cost a lot more.

Dammit. That should be "Probably should be". :)

I don't expect miracles with a sub $100 tablet. I wouldn't with a $200 tablet. You get what you pay for. I don't expect Surface performance with it. I just expect a very basic, slow, crap display tablet that works. It'll do good for very basic use. Anything more, and you need to buy a better one.

It's the Chinese, you know this thing is being powered by the souls of aborted Chinese girl fetuses and the blood of assembly line workers all with free malware included.

It's the Chinese, you know this thing is being powered by the souls of aborted Chinese girl fetuses and the blood of assembly line workers all with free malware included.

But, it's still cheap, right? :)

Back