Bungie Killed The Loot Cave In Destiny

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems Bungie thought it was a priority to fix the loot cave, while connectivity issues, glitches and abysmal load times have yet to be addressed. Alright everyone, get back to grinding. :(

The social experience of a cave farming run is amazing: the herding to get a team of Guardians all behind the line and firing in the right direction, the rush to grab the loot, the scramble when the panic wave starts, the beckoning glow from inside the cave. The speed at which the community organized around this activity was inspiring and humbling to us.

Enjoy paying full prices for a beta fuckers!.....

Adorns flame suit.

I could only get through half of that video, but all it demonstrated to to me was how bad the AI is. Bungie isn't alone in this, shouldn't the days of running pass hordes of enemies be over.

It's one of the complaints about Destiny, where it's a game about farming. Nobody likes games where farming is an essential element.

Oddly enough, not more than 5 minutes after the patch a new "loot cave" spawn point was found.

These things wouldn't be an issue if they didn't screw up the loot system/RNG in the first place. (among other things)

wow just wow. i was thinking about getting this game but now i dont think ill get it. seeing all the neg opinions and reviews just makes me mad that they would charge full price for this crap.

Maybe it'll be fixed if it ever makes it to pc?

After playing a few hours a night here and there since launch and seeing the game gets pointless really quick at the softcap Lvl20, and despite my initial grievances over the lack of a PC version, I can comfortably say that this is a title that doesn't need to come to PC. Seriously youre not missing anything. The gunplay and graphics are good but its skull hammeringly repetitive. People seem to be burning out and dumping their game disc secondhand even faster than Titanfall. Which is quite an accomplishment considering its supposedly a 500 million dollar game.

wow just wow. i was thinking about getting this game but now i dont think ill get it. seeing all the neg opinions and reviews just makes me mad that they would charge full price for this crap.

I think its still worth a play through on a rental, despite the complaints about the lack of replayability and longterm viability (Bungie called it a "10 year game".. which seems.. overly optimistic to say the least).

The PvP also isn't bad .. If you ever played Halo multiplayer with all the jumping around then it will feel very familiar.

The hate that this game is getting on this site kinda annoys me. I'm first and foremost a PC gamer but I've been playing a lot of Destiny on my PS4 and been loving it, you pretty much have to play with friends though (or find friends in the game) to enjoy it.

There are barely any connectivity issues to speak of, actually really impressive given how many people were playing the game in the first week. I don't know what glitches you're referring to but I haven't seen a single one. The load times aren't the greatest yeah, but I would blame that on optical disc media. Even those of us that install it on an SSD have to usually wait for other players to load in, and at least one of them will be playing off of a disc for sure. The game definitely does not get boring at level 20 in my opinion, there are bounties a plenty in both PVE and PVP (my preferred choice) to keep one occupied for at least 3+ hours a day and they have been releasing new content every week so far.

I definitely understand the mixed reviews the game has got because it is flawed, but it really annoys me when people who haven't actually played it rag on it, especially us PC gamers just because it's a console game.

It's one of the complaints about Destiny, where it's a game about farming. Nobody likes games where farming is an essential element.

A zillion Asians who play Monster Hunter disagree with you.

However, I agree, at a certain point the grinding just gets boring.

I thought thats what had to be in MMOs

To some degree every game has farming but not as a primary mechanic. Why you think games like Diablo 3 was such a hated game? It's core mechanic was to farm. It was also a major complaint in Mists of Pandaria with daily quests and pretty much the whole expansion.

BTW these are all Activition games including Destiny. Notice a trend?

Looks like Bungie took a page out of Blizzard. Fixing easy or exploiting loot farming has always been priority number one with Blizzard on both Diablo and WoW games. Everything else can wait.

Its like when Blizzard nerfed all the loot places in Diablo 3, claimed to be doing it in "Fun" yet kept making the game harder and harder to grind

I thought thats what had to be in MMOs

Problem is that they fight to claim they aren't an MMO. Even though it is

The hate that this game is getting on this site kinda annoys me. I'm first and foremost a PC gamer but I've been playing a lot of Destiny on my PS4 and been loving it, you pretty much have to play with friends though (or find friends in the game) to enjoy it.

There are barely any connectivity issues to speak of, actually really impressive given how many people were playing the game in the first week. I don't know what glitches you're referring to but I haven't seen a single one. The load times aren't the greatest yeah, but I would blame that on optical disc media. Even those of us that install it on an SSD have to usually wait for other players to load in, and at least one of them will be playing off of a disc for sure. The game definitely does not get boring at level 20 in my opinion, there are bounties a plenty in both PVE and PVP (my preferred choice) to keep one occupied for at least 3+ hours a day and they have been releasing new content every week so far.

I definitely understand the mixed reviews the game has got because it is flawed, but it really annoys me when people who haven't actually played it rag on it, especially us PC gamers just because it's a console game.

As a person that owns more games on my consoles and also plays on the PC. The game sucks. I know other console gamers that enjoy parts of the game, but still claim a lot of it sucks. Everyone one them says the story sucks and they just ignored it, well what little story it actually has. Of those some dislike the multiplayer and only stick to going out with friends trying to get better loot. I have been playing the game alone, it is something that after a few days I almost never touch anymore. All I hear from people is that the only good part of the game is farming loot. Which was brought up above that shouldn't be the main part of a game.

To some degree every game has farming but not as a primary mechanic. Why you think games like Diablo 3 was such a hated game? It's core mechanic was to farm. It was also a major complaint in Mists of Pandaria with daily quests and pretty much the whole expansion.

BTW these are all Activition games including Destiny. Notice a trend?

The difference being that DIablo 3 was FIXED by giving you more rewards per hour. I went from 1 legendary a week to 4 legendaries every 15 minutes. This makes the game fun and feel like you are being rewarded for your time and efforts. Yeah most of them are shit but you keep trying to get them in the hopes than 1 of them has good rolls/stats for your build. Destiny failed to deliver on all those goals.

This is the only site I frequent where I see the hate. And Steve keeps posting those 1-liners, but I haven't see any of those issues he keeps mentioning, from launch day on. I'd actually say it's more rock solid than 95% of games on release.

Anyways, the posters on this board have never been all that smart or add much meaningful discussion to anything. That's always been a consistent theme. So with that you get blind hate formed by people that didn't even play the game.

It`s a game that has solid movement and shooting mechanics and graphics ain`t half bad either... But it doesn`t really have content. Missions are mostly lazy as hell (horde mode galore), bosses are bullet sponges and there are actually only few locations to visit. So game turns into grinding as "extender" to keep people playing so they can release morsels of content to sell later. :(

The difference being that DIablo 3 was FIXED by giving you more rewards per hour. I went from 1 legendary a week to 4 legendaries every 15 minutes. This makes the game fun and feel like you are being rewarded for your time and efforts. Yeah most of them are shit but you keep trying to get them in the hopes than 1 of them has good rolls/stats for your build. Destiny failed to deliver on all those goals.

The cheapened everything and destroyed Diablo when they did that. Made it fun for all of 30 minutes before the charm was gone. Coming from someone with a live-in girlfriend a employed from the 90's on, it's not like I have a lot of time to game.

I will be royally pissed it they do that crap to Destiny.

If there weren't so many day one douchebags out there these companies would be forced to release much better games. Sure no game wont have some bugs at launch but they could at least be complete and lacking major bugs that fundamentally break the games.

NERD RAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone name one MMO that was perfect out the door? Beta or not I’ve looked at MMOs as a long term investment with constant patches and upgrades and missions to keep it interesting.

It`s a game that has solid movement and shooting mechanics and graphics ain`t half bad either... But it doesn`t really have content. Missions are mostly lazy as hell (horde mode galore), bosses are bullet sponges and there are actually only few locations to visit. So game turns into grinding as "extender" to keep people playing so they can release morsels of content to sell later. :(
I agree with this. The game is solid and a lot of fun to a point. I see myself getting each class up to at least the softcap, but after that it's going to be a wash. The end game right now is the worst kind of grind there could possibly be. The game could have been great, but I have the feeling that Activision coerced Bungie into piecing and whoring out a lot of the content as paid DLC.

To the people screaming "don't pay for Beta RRAWWGG", yeah that is utterly impossible with the size and scope of these games. See Star Citizen, that game is going to keep getting pushed back while they ask for more and more money. They are trying to do the impossible in pleasing that top niche of gamers. There work is obviously amazing but bringing that to reality via a creative mind who will never think it is "ready" will take forever.

As for this game, some already said it best. The gameplay is amazing, music is great, but the execution is very poor. I really liked Halo and this has that feel; however, adding the grind at end game does not sound worth me even finishing. I will keep playing till 20 but this game needs a serious loot overhaul. Lastly everyone saying "you have to have friends to really enjoy the game", yeah that's not realistic for most gamers. Especially have a 10+ hour raid that you have to know six people to do. That is ridiculous and puts a lot of content out of reach with the average Joe. I can't even recommend this game to my primary gaming friend because I know he will not like the endless grind. It does not sound rewarding at all.

The cheapened everything and destroyed Diablo when they did that. Made it fun for all of 30 minutes before the charm was gone. Coming from someone with a live-in girlfriend a employed from the 90's on, it's not like I have a lot of time to game.

I will be royally pissed it they do that crap to Destiny.

Yeah, you are in the minority with that. Current D3 is worlds better than that crap that was vanilla. Getting on per hour and is was usually crap is terrible.

Honestly I don't mind farming if I could stay online. To me grinding in games is effort, people want things handed over to them these days. To me if everyone got the same awesome items after playing 30 hours of the game because they didn't have to grind why would you want to play? This game isn't meant to be played for a week to a month, it is meant to be played over a period of time at your pace. I never used the loot cave myself, but I do find that grinding in the game has helped me learn the maps better. I'm not trying to defend Destiny as I'm pretty upset about the connectivity issues. I played for about an hour last night and got booted 3 times. I've even completely reinstalled the game and ensured that I have an open NAT. I've just always found from playing MMO's in the past, that the people who didn't like grinding didn't do well in the game played for a week or two and disappeared while many others get groups together and grind together, sharing stories of things on TV, sports, some chick they banged over the weekend, whatever it is. The game may not be for everyone but I've found that most games do have grinding in some form or another because it stretches time, developers can't keep pushing out content on a daily basis to appease those who don't like grinding. I'm not saying your wrong, just that this is how a lot of game developers do this, I wasn't surprised one bit by having to grind for things. The whole game is about grinding light gear and upgrading to level past 20 so it is very imbedded into the game. Grinding marks and faction is key to getting Legendary items, that and grinding for items to decrypt, in which you also gain faction. I'm just level 21 at the moment and when I've been able to play, I've enjoyed the game quite well.

Anyways, the posters on this board have never been all that smart or add much meaningful discussion to anything. That's always been a consistent theme. So with that you get blind hate formed by people that didn't even play the game.

I don't know what forum you frequent that warrant that comment. I view almost every comment section of every website I visit, and this one by far is more intelligent than the average. even the blind posts (didn't read article or never played game) are better than most other comment sections.

As for this game, I have it on PS4, I own all systems even the legacy ones. I have put at least a 100 hours into it, loved it initially, hate it now.

Loved it for its potential.

Hate it because it is shareware, you cannot argue that, it isn't even a beta like some are saying. Its mostly functional, has only a direction of plot that doesn't explain a thing but is full of plugs for DLC, has a gutted multiplayer and social system, has a completely broken loot system, exploration yields nothing but invisible walls or empty zones.

It literally feels like all we have is a shareware game that will start asking anytime for money to expand content. The sad part is old shareware you paid once and got the full game. This is the new shareware, pay once for each module, want better loot, pay $15.99 for this full set of equipment. Want plot, pay 15.99 per faction (Speaker, Queen, and stranger) and we might give an explaination instead of 'I could tell you'.
Want more multiplayer options, $19.99 (because yall gotta have multiplayer).
The worst is the social experience, you cannot communicate with anyone around you, at all, 4 emotes to try and get a point across, no voice, in 2014! This is where they sell us the communication module.

Christ, don't defend this game, just because it has its moments of fun and is addicting doesn't make it a good game, it makes it a drug you have to pay a shady dealer for more when the high wears off. Yes I just compared destiny to drugs and Bungie to a shitty dealer.

This is the only site I frequent where I see the hate. And Steve keeps posting those 1-liners, but I haven't see any of those issues he keeps mentioning, from launch day on. I'd actually say it's more rock solid than 95% of games on release.

Really? I guess you only visit two or three sites because damn near the entire internet says the same thing about Destiny.

As far as how crappy our forum members are, I can help trim your list of sites down by one. If you don't like it here with all us not-so-smart, shallow people just give me the word, I'll fix it for you.

I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

You don't frequent many sites then. The criticisms of Destiny are widespread. And if you think its just "people that didn't even play the game" criticizing it, that's pants-over-head ignorant.

You're not really offering anything specific in the way of counter-arguments, only vague hyperbole. How about proving the majority wrong by making SPECIFIC counter-arguments to some of the criticisms. I"ll wait.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit! The only thing that I find frustrating is that for Bungie, I would have thought the multiplayer would have been more balanced like Halo3. There are no ranks in multiplayer (that I know of). You can get thrown in with whoever. Also, they say that multiplayer is level balanced to make it even, but the guns are still way imba. I wish they would at least have a mode where everybody starts with the same gun set or has a pick from a balanced set.

Back