Your Daily Dose Of #GamersGate From Both Sides

HardOCP News

[H] News
Continuing the trend of gaming sites trashing their readers, this editorial wants you to know "you're just plain wrong" if you don't agree with the author's opinion. The flip side of the coin tries to explain what is driving all this hate towards gamers in the first place.

Alexander is editor-at-large for Gamasutra. She also writes for VICE, Edge, Kotaku, Polygon, Boing Boing and regularly contributes to many other publications. In other words, she’s a relatively big deal. Over the past five years or so, she has spearheaded a wave of journalists who have tried to refocus games journalism. Followers of the scandal now known as #GamerGate will note that Alexander has had her professional ethics called into question. This is liable to happen if you run a public relations consulting firm and sell your services to the same people you write about as a journalist. (Yes, you read that right.)

You people can fight all you want, I'll be over here playing my female Vanu character in Planetside 2. Stupid sexy Vanu....

Wow.... I guess I'm glad I never read any of those sites.

But openly threatening to kill careers and still be accepted so well, by the sites, continues to add to this massive glob of bs.

(A note to Steve: as I type this, "The flip side of the coin" links to a Breitbart article on the front page article but not on the forum post.)

It's hilarious that Breitbart.com, of all sites, is talking about journalistic ethics.

(A note to Steve: as I type this, "The flip side of the coin" links to a Breitbart article on the front page article but not on the forum post.)

It's hilarious that Breitbart.com, of all sites, is talking about journalistic ethics.

For some reason, the "both sides" platitude holds more weight than actual credible sources.

I mean, just look at the damn title. Jesus.

#gamergate is a bunch of 4chan jerkoffs who started the mess and that attached themselves to more sane concerns, inflating their asinine movement with others to build a fucking smoke screen. So, here we are now, where somehow "both sides" of the argument must be heard and are of equal value.

No, no, we don't. Gamergate is a movement rooted in hate and needs to die ASAP.

She is such a big deal that myself or no one at my work..200+ geeks has ever heard of her...
But then no one here seems reads those shit websites

I have been in the industry (hardware and gaming) for more than fifteen years and I love my job. Why? Because my "JOB" is sharing news items with our readers, writing reviews and just basically hanging out with you guys all day. It has never entered my mind EVER to insult or degrade you guys in any way. We respect our readers and care about your opinions, calling you names or stating you are "just plain wrong" is unimaginable.

Sure, I've got the occasional "you suck jackass!" e-mail or threats of murder, death or maiming for making fun of Apple, Microsoft, Google (insert company). I've never called the police and I never asked for donations after an "attack" either. In the same way I hold the belief that violent games don't = real world violence, I do not believe playing games with unrealistic sexy characters (male and female) makes you misogynistic, sexist or anti-feminist.

I guess, on the most basic level, I just don't know how these people can continue to bite the hands that feed them. Hell, you'd think they would at least fake liking their readers. :(

She is a SJW who pretends to value gender equality while in actuality spreads her own anti-male hate speech pushing a decidedly pro female, pro gay, pro trans agenda at the cost of the careers and livelihood of hardworking industry professionals.

Large Alexander and her ilk are extremists who will attempt to silence anyone who crosses them and destroy those who dare would question their motivations, by any means necessary be it legal or otherwise.

Alexander, Zoe Quinn, etc...these are manipulative assholes who by and large are much worse than the hateful trolls who they claim are ruining the game industry.

The SJWs are ruining the game industry.

Wow....reading some of that shit really makes me want to toss gaming to the curb and find a new hobby. I get disgusted by some of the sexist remarks, but I'm also disgusted by the way Quinn made herself into a victim, how Sarkisian cherry picks examples for her shows, and how Alexandar.....well, just everything about that woman.

Grimspoon is right - the SJWs ARE ruining the gaming industry.

I've been playing games for about 20 years. I've read all kinds of reviews from all kinds of magazines and sites.

I have noticed the last few years how games get lambasted for being "misogynistic". But i dont understand what the big deal is.

Even in games that have larger than life characters, or are exaggerated forms of normal people (tomb raider, gears of war) i dont understand what the big deal is.

Should russian immigrants get angry every time an exaggerated accent is shown on a tv show or video game? How about how every other movie that has organized crime uses the russian mob as their bad guy?

If you're a woman and find a big boobed vixens offensive, then dont play it. Why, if I choose to play a game like that am i bad? Why am i called names? That's sort of saying anyone who enjoyed blazing saddles is a racist. Why is the company who makes that game bad?

Should every movie who exploits a good looking guy or femalebe big news?

I don't get offended when i see a muscle bound, roided out alpha male hacking 5000 enemies in one go because i dont compare to him.

"But that's because it's a power fantasy for guys" they'll say.

Not exactly.

If the guys in gears of war were all changed to be fat slobs, you'd probably laugh at it. It's got nothing to do with "power" and everything to do with tone. Its hard to take a game of fat guys seriously. No offensive (and im chubby myself) but really, if all the gears guys were tipping 500lbs, it would turn comical.

It's hard to take a game seriously when your main character jiggles everywhere. Or you wonder how he can possibly run.

So guys in games are hyper masculine, the same as they are in the beowulf or hercules stories because that's what people are interested in. Just like women are hyper feminine (most of the time, although many in games tend to be ass kickers) because that's what people are interested in. People didn't enjoy hercules because it was a power fantasy thousands of years ago, they enjoyed it because to defeat a big bad monster, it's more exciting to have a big good guy. Or at least anti hero, like riddick.

Games with sexy tones and violence sell better. So do movies, and books, and art and everything else.

Regardless of all that, i think this stuff is insulting.

Before i had known about any of this i saw an opinion piece posted somewhere, basically saying if i didn't agree with them i was evil. That people who play games in general are evil, or wrong, or immature or whatever.

But i take solace in the fact that game companies by and large don't give a hoot what these people think.

They'll still make big boobed women in leather or muscle bound knights.

Someone who writes for "VICE, Edge, Kotaku, Polygon, Boing Boing" isn't a "big deal".

For some reason, the "both sides" platitude holds more weight than actual credible sources.

I mean, just look at the damn title. Jesus.

#gamergate is a bunch of 4chan jerkoffs who started the mess and that attached themselves to more sane concerns, inflating their asinine movement with others to build a fucking smoke screen. So, here we are now, where somehow "both sides" of the argument must be heard and are of equal value.

No, no, we don't. Gamergate is a movement rooted in hate and needs to die ASAP.

#gamergate originated from #quinnspiracy where zoe quinn fucked pretty much everyone from indie devs to gaming journalists (while in a relationship) to gain favorable reviews and money. she has a large network of people including anita sarkeesian and other people with good connections. the problem is the inherent corruption and conflict of interest by gaming journalists that have personal and financial relationships with devs. that conflict of interest needs to be disclosed. what made #gamergate finally explode is the abundant censorship and banning like on reddit, 4chan (moot is involved in this as well) etc while the gaming press shat on their user base with titles like "gamers are over".

tbh the gaming press and the entire industry can fucking die. i haven't bought a single game this year and can't remember when i last checked a gaming news site. i happily play my 8 and 16 bit games where i'm not force fed news reports that i'm a homophone misogynyst basement dwelling rapist.

I've often wondered why anyone not satisfied with the way things are doesn't do something about it (complaining is not "doing something" either). Not enough games made from your perspective? Instead of getting $160k to make videos bitching about it, use the money to make a game that you are proud of.

-OR-

Use that money to back developers that ARE making the types of games you believe in.

Standing around complaining helps nobody. Collecting money to stand around and complain is worse. Asking for donations for every time you are criticized for complaining doesn't do anyone any good and actually hurts your cause.

Being a positive force that empowers disenfranchised groups often times requires putting yourself last. That means collecting money for others instead of yourself. Using your notoriety to help others obtain their goals instead of using it to constantly bitch about everything.

When done correctly, you can effect change without pissing on half the planet.

Well, steve, the reason for that is usually, they don't actually care. It seems that the SJW, as they are called, really just want to complain.

I still have zero clue what any of this is about. The only reading that I find necessary are product descriptions, screenshots, user feedback, and a preview here or there.

I have been in the industry (hardware and gaming) for more than fifteen years and I love my job. Why? Because my "JOB" is sharing news items with our readers, writing reviews and just basically hanging out with you guys all day. It has never entered my mind EVER to insult or degrade you guys in any way. We respect our readers and care about your opinions, calling you names or stating you are "just plain wrong" is unimaginable.

Sure, I've got the occasional "you suck jackass!" e-mail or threats of murder, death or maiming for making fun of Apple, Microsoft, Google (insert company). I've never called the police and I never asked for donations after an "attack" either. In the same way I hold the belief that violent games don't = real world violence, I do not believe playing games with unrealistic sexy characters (male and female) makes you misogynistic, sexist or anti-feminist.

I guess, on the most basic level, I just don't know how these people can continue to bite the hands that feed them. Hell, you'd think they would at least fake liking their readers. :(

I think their attitude more than anything shows that there really is something to this "Gamer Gate" thing. The fact that the gaming press is taking such an attitude of "We are right, you are wrong, you cannot disagree, and we'll try and silence you if you do," shows a real disconnect from reality and an attitude that you can do whatever you want. I'm sure they don't see any ethical issues because they think they are just the shit, they can't possibly have issues because they are just so amazingly right all the time!

All the surrounding argument about misogyny, etc isn't really the issue. The issue is that large swaths of the gaming press seem to feel that they are above any ethical concerns, and that they are here to dictate to their readers, not to inform them.

It's also really telling that on so many of these sites they'll shut down any discussion of the topic. Agree or disagree with something, allowing discussion of it is usually a good idea. Makes your readers happy, gets you traffic, etc. However they delete threads, ban people, etc, if there's any talk about it at all. The alleged excuse is "hate" and "misogyny" and "harassment". Yet [H] lets discussions about it happen and it really doesn't seem to be an issue. Yes, sometimes someone goes full asshole, but then the mods deal with that person. The discussion overall is usually pretty civil. More civil than videocard discussion at any rate :p.

To me this whole thing has exposed just how unethical the gaming press is. They want to spin whatever narrative they wish, and nobody should be allowed to question or argue it. Well, I'm not so much in favour of that.

Every time I hear about this topic I go out of my way to avoid reading further into it. Sounds like a non-issue drummed up by gaming media to give them something to write about and draw page hits. No one cares.

I still have zero clue what any of this is about. The only reading that I find necessary are product descriptions, screenshots, user feedback, and a preview here or there.

It's basically, questioning journalistic integrity of gaming media, or the lack their of. Also Social Justice BS that we've been seeing a lot of lately.

Every time I hear about this topic I go out of my way to avoid reading further into it. Sounds like a non-issue drummed up by gaming media to give them something to write about and draw page hits. No one cares.

But people do care, hell, we got at least 2 celebrities weighing in on it already. JJ Abrams and Adam Baldwin.

It's doubtful that it's an issue drummed up by gaming media, because they basically lost a number of people from it, and they don't really write articles about it, because they are/were doing a blackout regarding it.

Except gaming blogs / journos avoided posting about this topic for a month because it shines a spotlight on their lack of integrity.

oh, and if people think government censorship and mass surveillance is not a problem, see this #gamergate thing as a showcase on a tiny scale. it's really hard to get a good public discussion going if you're shut down left right and center by people with connections. replace gaming press with mass media and forums like reddit, 4chan etc with the entire internet including any social media that just gets censored to the will of whoever dictates what is permitted and what is not. it may sound like a non-issue if you randomly hear about #gamergate, but it is an issue if you try to have a discussion and hundreds of threads literally last less than a minute before they get axed and you get a temp or permanent ban. is my comparision childish and stupid? think again. those subreddits with thousands of deleted posts... it makes me think how things would look like on a large scale as described above. not a pleasant picture.

This pretty much illustrates just how lacking the gaming bloggers are in professionalism in a way... they forgot who really feeds them at the end of the day. I am going to so blunt as to say that the gaming studios, and even the hardware manufacturers are more aware of the need to generate value for the gaming niche consumers than some of these bloggers!

oh, and if people think government censorship and mass surveillance is not a problem, see this #gamergate thing as a showcase on a tiny scale. it's really hard to get a good public discussion going if you're shut down left right and center by people with connections. replace gaming press with mass media and forums like reddit, 4chan etc with the entire internet including any social media that just gets censored to the will of whoever dictates what is permitted and what is not. it may sound like a non-issue if you randomly hear about #gamergate, but it is an issue if you try to have a discussion and hundreds of threads literally last less than a minute before they get axed and you get a temp or permanent ban. is my comparision childish and stupid? think again. those subreddits with thousands of deleted posts... it makes me think how things would look like on a large scale as described above. not a pleasant picture.

Go look at the censorship in the PRC for a mass media example. Even euphemisms are censored, to the point that "rubber ducks/duckie" became a censored phrase. Inability to disseminate ideas is a powerful way to achieve societal control.

Alexander is editor-at-large for Gamasutra. She also writes for VICE, Edge, Kotaku, Polygon, Boing Boing and regularly contributes to many other publications. In other words, she’s a relatively big deal.
Who now? She's a big deal? If you say so.

Egorpator, AVGN, and Jontron are more reconsigned than she is and these guys admit they don't do professional game journalism. Meant to laugh at the industry for what it is.
Over the past five years or so, she has spearheaded a wave of journalists who have tried to refocus games journalism. Followers of the scandal now known as #GamerGate will note that Alexander has had her professional ethics called into question. This is liable to happen if you run a public relations consulting firm and sell your services to the same people you write about as a journalist. (Yes, you read that right.)
What scandal? A bunch of journalists are about to be fired so they made this crap up to get attention, and we're not helping talking about it.

I don't even know what GamerGate is fucking about. First I hear it's about journalist's having relations with developers. Then it's about gaming communities reaction and death threats. Now it's about sexism in games. WTF are we talking about?

I don't even know what GamerGate is fucking about. First I hear it's about journalist's having relations with developers. Then it's about gaming communities reaction and death threats. Now it's about sexism in games. WTF are we talking about?

That's exactly the problem. It was about journalists having relationships with developers, and then when people got mad about it, those same developers and journalists started claiming they were getting death threats from the evil "gaming community"(their readers) after having already been called out for making up death threats in the past(see Zoe Quinn's lie about some board supposedly attacking her), because the evil "gaming community" doesn't like that these people(the journalists and some of the devs) keep bringing up sexism in gaming, something that the evil "gaming community" can't seem to do without(according to the journalists and some of the devs).

Of course those same devs are the ones making games that no one buys(for a multitude of reasons), and then end up trading sex for publicity about their game... which is what got gamers mad at them in the first place.

Basically, until the scandal that they created, no one gave a damn about any of the people involved. But if you have a negative opinion of them, it must be because you're a part of the evil misogynist gaming community(according to them and some white knights of the internet).

"Guys, a REAL feminist is completely wrong when she talks about gamers, only we're right!"

Hey! Look! Its Polygon! SJW central!

First I hear it's about journalist's having relations with developers.

That's about it, what you're doing is falling into the trap that they are laying out, because you are being lead by the nose into the other bs they were pushing.

It is about journalistic integrity.

So basically these "professional journalist" got caught with their pants down with that whole sex for publicity thing, and they attempt to side step the issue by turning against the gaming community.

People need to stop giving views to these "professional" review sites. They've gotten big headed, they think they are oh so important in the gaming industry. Lets see how arrogant they can be when the money stops coming in.

I personally don't give two shits about this topic, but I AM interested in knowing just how much ad revenue GamersGate has made off of page hits meant for sites about this xD

Probably not much, doubletake. Since they rarely write anything about GamerGate, as they actively ignore it. It probably got a lot of page hits for sites that do allow discussion of it though.

This whole thing about ethics and whatever is just a massive smokescreen set up by the scared white male garbage of 4chan who are terrified of women and butthurt that women dare intrude on the holy no-girls-allowed treehouse of gaming.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gamergate-revealed-as-misogynist-and-racist-movement-from-4chan

https://storify.com/strictmachine/gameovergate

This is where you fall into the trap. You basically just linked to an article or blog post about one of the people GamerGate is about. And through your ignorance of the subject, you assume 4chan is the bad one, which they usually are. All the while, listening to Zoe Quinn, who claims to to have ethics, but actively does thing hypocritical to that end; claims to be for women in gaming, then go out of her way to destroy a group that wanted to get more women into game creation.

Did I read the article you posted in full? No... I did however read the intro, which more or less outlined what it was going on about. And it already started off with BS.

That guy from Polygon is a completely brainwashed limp wristed idiot. Is he even a gamer? Remind me not to ever go back to that site.

Anita Sarkeesian w/Polygon are trolls. Why are not complaining that Mattel is making way less Ken dolls comprised to Barbies, Anitia has not brought out any real substantial evidence. Feminist like Anita have shown to be sexist and rally don't want equality. They want to subjugate the male population. It all conjecture and trolling. We should stick to more reparable blogs like [H] and stop heading to polygon.

I find it funny that Anitia got someone who was critical of her evidence to be band on twitter.
Twitter: Criticize Anita... you're GONE!

The whole issue is rooted in that game journalists and game developers were fucking each other. As journalists they think they can turn the issue around with spewing websites with click bait. I don't believe there were death threats and nobody cares about sexism in games.

Though it's funny to watch them try to turn the issue around. Saying things like "I'm a big deal" and picking controversial topics like sexism is not going to work. Even ReviewTechUSA had a discussion with a guy who basically wanted nothing but for people to talk about this subject. This is the internet and nothing will ever go your way on it. You're either laughed into obscurity or used as a meme so people can laugh at you for being so stupid.

That kind of manipulation works on TV and tabloid magazines but not here. Meanwhile the whole gaming industry is about to go into recession.

Back