NVIDIA Maxwell GPU - GeForce GTX 980 Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NVIDIA Maxwell GPU - GeForce GTX 980 Video Card Review - Today NVIDIA launches its newest Maxwell GPU. There will be two new GPUs, the GeForce GTX 980 and GeForce GTX 970. These next generation GPUs usher in new features and performance that move the gaming industry forward. We discuss new features, architecture, and evaluate the gameplay performance against the competition.

Last edited:
As I read the review guys I just want to really say thank you guys at [H] very much for working hard & losing sleep to get it out.

This is the first time in a long time I've had the cash to buy a new GPU on release and there's no other place I'd trust to let me know whether to spend my cash or not.

Cheers!

Wow, a lot of good stuff coming out. Good performance boost and lower power, should be really interesting if they plan to release a dual gpu this time...

*Lifts weights off shoulders*

Enjoy, there's a lot more than I thought there would be to talk about in regards to Maxwell. Definitely did not expect as many architecture changes as was implemented on 28nm.

*Lifts weights off shoulders*

Enjoy, there's a lot more than I thought there would be to talk about in regards to Maxwell. Definitely did not expect as many architecture changes as was implemented on 28nm.

Brent, do you think since they could not move to 20nm at this time that they then focused more on the architecture changes?

...should be really interesting if they plan to release a dual gpu this time...

Given the TDP of these GPUs, I can say with total confidence that we will be seeing a dual GPU model in the near future.

just scanned the charts, reading the body of the review now. based on the charts it looks like a great card but not enough to sway me from my 290X at the moment.

excellent review... my 780 will suit me for a while yet. I look forward to what this architecture can do at 20 nm, as well as what the competition has in store.

At $550 it simply isn't worth it to me to upgrade, even if selling my 780 would defray part of that cost.

thanks!

312w under load before overclocking, I thought these things were not supposed to reach over that high,

I can't wait to see overclocking if only to find out how much voltage can be cranked up (and down?) & if the Kepler style limits are still there.
Great review & looking forward to in depth 970 numbers as well. Maybe I'll have it in hand before the benches here are up!

I can't wait to see overclocking if only to find out how much voltage can be cranked up (and down?) & if the Kepler style limits are still there.
Great review & looking forward to in depth 970 numbers as well. Maybe I'll have it in hand before the benches here are up!

Should be able to set Power Limit to 125%.

Rather unimpressive to say the least. A couple of frame rates over a 780ti.

Looking forward to a review of the 970 and hope it provides a bigger jump over the 770.

i been pretty negative towards this card. im very interested in DSR. i may have to pick one up now.

but im shocked at the 970's prices. thats amazing price.

Excellent review again Brent thanks.. there something that people aren't talking about and its the high compute performance of maxwell cards even to say the 980 have higher OpenCL performance than the 290X which its great just great...! waiting to see soon the overclocking review and the 970 to review to see how it compare to my 780 probably i'll bite the 970 if the performance its good..

Brent: I know you haven't done in depth OC testing yet, but are the 980's strictly voltage locked like the Titan cards?

How loud is the reference 980 at load?

I never felt that the fan was loud at all. I sit next to the review system while running at full load, and I could not tell the difference in sound between idle and full-load.

According to my data the fan only spun up to 52%, 2160RPM on the 980. The 780 Ti was definitely higher at 61% 2578RPM. It should technically be quieter than 780 Ti.

I never felt that the fan was loud at all. I sit next to the review system while running at full load, and I could not tell the difference in sound between idle and full-load.

According to my data the fan only spun up to 52%, 2160RPM on the 980. The 780 Ti was definitely higher at 61% 2578RPM.

Good to know, thank you.

Should be able to set Power Limit to 125%.

Thanks but I guess I was referring to Nvidias position towards AIB's unlocking voltage outside of NV's limits for the end user like some of the early Msi Lightning 680s/some review only cards that could push the volts further than any customer cards.

would it be safe to assume the following?

GTX 680 = Small Kepler
GTX 780/ti = Big Kepler

GTX 980 = Small Maxwell
GTX "Gazillion" = Big Maxwell

Just trying to plan out a possible upgrade option. need >2gb vram now. I am VERY tempted to jump now though = )

I've heard that a overclocked 980 was trading blows with a Titan Z in a few games. These 980s cards are overclocking near or just past 1.5Ghz.

I had a feeling these cards would be supernatural when overclocked. i can't wait for the overclocking follow up. Then we'll know the full story.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the results on the 970s. I have a feeling that SLI 970s might be the way to go right now. Thanks for the review!

Slightly faster than a 780ti not impressed except for the power reduction, ill stick with my 670s until 20nm 8GB cards. Thanks for the review nice work!!!

Last edited:
I like what I seen with the power draw to performance level as it's been along thime since I have seen a card that well balanced and it's got me thinking about the 970GTX but i just can't bring myself to support the GameWorks and the other crap Nvidia locks you into with there product.

It will be interesting to see what the full "Maxwell" will look like when it comes out.

I wonder how soon till we see AMD respond to these two cards. 980 at $549 and GTX 970 at $329 is actually kind of tempting...

The article mentions DX12 for the 980. I didn't see any technical reason the 780 couldn't support DX12.

Back