Sony Admits PS4 Hardware Is No Longer 'Top of the Line'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm going to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and assume he was talking about console hardware only when he said "top of the line."

“The hardware is no longer top of the line, sure,” he wrote in a conversation with a fan on Twitter. “That’s how consoles have always worked, and has very little to do with game quality. For example: the PlayStation 3 is 2005 era hardware, roughly; compare The Last of Us (2013) to AAA PC games from 2005. Squeezing five to ten years of performance improvements out of a fixed hardware platform is what console programmers do best.”

Last edited:
... In terms of console... isn't it top of the line?

... In terms of console... isn't it top of the line?

Right. It's the best console hardware out there, so it is top of the line. He had to be referring to the quality of the hardware with respect to PCs in general. And in that case, it never was top of the line. It was marginally middle of the road when it was first announced, much less when it started shipping.

Even though consoles have never really been "top of the line" compared to PCs, I do have to say that with the same existing hardware games have historically looked better as the console got older. Now whether this is due to new programming techniques, or perhaps the console maker keeping secret the capabilities until later I don't know. But looking at a game like Final Fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 8 to Final Fantasy 9 it's like a night and day difference as graphics got better at each step.

I assume people are talking about a PC equal cost to the console. Obviously anyone can put thousands into a PC and it'll always be better than a console... that has always been true, right?

I think he was kind of responding to this Forbs article that ruffled a few feathers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2014/09/12/the-ps4-and-xbox-one-are-already-out-of-date/
Nothing stated reaches the mind-boggling level of this claim from that article:
"This frustrating feeling that their games console – a device which has historically led technology rather than falling behind it – is already outmoded will be exacerbated by the appearance of other native 4K sources in the next 12-24 months."

LMAO, "no longer" at the top, you say?
When the PS3 and 360 were released, almost no PC hardware could touch what they were capable of, save for the very top of the line SLI/Crossfire systems.

When the PS4 and XBone was released, those systems were barely mid-range hardware.
Even with optimizations on fixed hardware, these systems are incapable of driving games at true 1080p resolutions without upscaling; it's not like 1080p is high-end, it's middle-of-the-road average as of 2014.

These consoles can't even natively do that.
I have no issue with inferior hardware when the games are fun, and that's really what it's all about.

But when Sony and Microsoft market these consoles as superior products to standard, or even gaming, PCs, that's where everyone gets into an uproar.
The worst thing is, so far, no one has seen heads or tails of any games worth a crap on either console which justifies their purchase, and a year later, the game library is still very lacking.

I think he was kind of responding to this Forbs article that ruffled a few feathers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2014/09/12/the-ps4-and-xbox-one-are-already-out-of-date/

And how it doesn't matter that PCs are more powerful because developers can continue to optimize with fixed hardware.

Thing is, these optimizations almost always end up being nothing more than serious compromises. Sony has to sell movies as games because they can't render any proper game at 1080p@60fps. This is why console gamers get "filmic experiences" :D

Thing is, these optimizations almost always end up being nothing more than serious compromises. Sony has to sell movies as games because they can't render any proper game at 1080p@60fps. This is why console gamers get "filmic experiences" :D

Well, Sony has to put a positive spin on their garbage products somehow.
"Filmic experiences", oh man, you've gotta love tech propaganda. :p

But when Sony and Microsoft market these consoles as superior products to standard, or even gaming, PCs, that's where everyone gets into an uproar.

I haven't seen this happen....maybe I've missed those ads.
If this is their primary 'shot' then they lost before they even started.

I think they've pushed them as 'the next generation of game consoles', which they are - if we're talking about 360/Ps3 -> Bone/Ps4. If they're trying to say either is above a $500 PC, they're smoking crack.

I kind of wish devs would stop trying to give me "filmic experiences", and just give me fun games. If I wanted a movie, I would watch a movie.

Even with optimizations on fixed hardware, these systems are incapable of driving games at true 1080p resolutions without upscaling; it's not like 1080p is high-end, it's middle-of-the-road average as of 2014.

I have no issue with inferior hardware when the games are fun, and that's really what it's all about.

I'm not sure which hate-hole you climbed from, but there are only a couple of games on PS4 which are not 1080p.

If they're trying to say either is above a $500 PC, they're smoking crack.

As time goes on and PC hardware gets cheaper, this sort of statement distorts and loses relevance. When the PS4 first released, you couldn't build a complete gaming PC that was better. It was a struggle to make one that really was even equivalent. Partially due to some unknowns about the PS4, such as the fact that the GPU has the same GPU 'compute' architecture/specs as a 7970. I wrote a very in depth post about it on the Blu-ray.com forums.

Even scraping to save every last dollar, even taking some liberties and assuming what would have been mega deals at the time: it couldn't be done. I even had trouble doing it with an upgrade route. In other words, take some parts from an existing family PC and transplant them, to save some money. and the idea, at the time, of just dropping a videocard into a non-descript PC just created a lot of problems.

But now, a few months later, we have had new videocards release and prices have dropped. You could probably do it, now. Build an equivalent or slightly better, complete system, for around $500.

but lately, there have been deals on PS4, as well.

The short of it is, the PS4 is a pretty fantastic value for people that want to game. Marketing PR may be a bit obtuse and that's frustrating. But distilling out the truth reveals a pretty positive situation for gamers, anyway.

LMAO, "no longer" at the top, you say?
When the PS3 and 360 were released, almost no PC hardware could touch what they were capable of, save for the very top of the line SLI/Crossfire systems.

When the PS4 and XBone was released, those systems were barely mid-range hardware.

The worst thing is, so far, no one has seen heads or tails of any games worth a crap on either console which justifies their purchase, and a year later, the game library is still very lacking.

They learned from that mistake. Both companies lost a lot of money on consoles for awhile. They want to make money from the hardware now from day 1 like Nintendo with the Wii. 360 and ps3 still have alright graphics. The support is dying off though.

I really wonder what performance enhancements they're going to get by tweaking a mid-range x86 PC.

Lol.

No longer? None of them have ever been top of the line. Consoles have always cut corners one way or another; resolution, lack of AA, small levels, low quality textures, low quality lighting, etc.

I could make games run crazy fast on a mid range PC too if I had it set to 640x480.

I really wonder what performance enhancements they're going to get by tweaking a mid-range x86 PC.

Lol.

Well, considering I get over 25fps higher averages in BF4 from simply using a different API in a code environment which still isn't hardware specific, I'd say there's plenty of room for optimization in a closed system with "one", static spec.

Many years ago when decent gaming PC desktops cost $3k & up, $300 gaming consoles made a kind of economic sense because of the pricing disparity. Today they make anti-sense, actually, as they're far more limited than decent gaming PC desktops, can't be physically upgraded when hardware advances as can desktops, cost about the same overall, have far slimmer compatible software game portfolios, and are simply universally inferior, generally, in terms of what the consumer doesn't get for his money. They are "closed" from a software perspective, too--and what software there is is more expensive and less capable than its PC counterpart--if there is one at all (which is not always the case anymore. Often what is available for a Windows PC is not for a PS4/xBone.)

Microsoft knew this with xBone, and tried to avoid/allay/eschew the inevitable by way of building in set-top TV box & speech/Kinect gimmickry to try and make the rather lackluster x86 xBone PC-console more attractive in the face of general PC consumer tech. This works for the limited audience seeking push-button simplicity instead of interactivity with their hardware, and for the ones so new to the markets they have yet to develop preferences and standards. A dying breed, imo. This is probably the last generation for the console as we've known it, I'd imagine. The PC hardware paradigm has swallowed the console market space, and there was never any justification apart from economic to buy a console from the beginning > a decade back.

PS4 is probably 40%-50% more powerful than xBone on the gpu front--still, the xBone itself is so weak from a PC hardware perspective that this is nothing much to brag about. Neither console provides the advantages of a similarly priced PC. To the extent that people still buy this technology instead of user-expandable, user-serviceable, user-friendly PC hardware they continue to short-change themselves, imo. But what else is new?...;)

We really need Sega to come back. Or at least join forces with MS in helping with hardware. Oh how I love my Genisis and Dreamcast. Consoles always lost out on overall profitability and made up for it on software sales. Not this year. I remember when the "cell" processor was suppose to do it all, but Sony called Nvidia to get an advanced and modified Geforce chip because CELL wasn't everything it was cracked up to be on the PS3 and that is why Sony lost a lot of money on the PS3 initially. If they didn't have to get Nvidia on the horn at the last minute, loses would have been minor and made up within a year.

I remember expansion ports on the bottom or back of consoles back in the day. Bet Sony and MS wish they had one of these now. Pop it on the bottom, whamo new $200 graphics expansion with True 4K, HDMI 2.0b.

So, what you guys think. Announcement by MS in 2016 with a fall 2017 Xbox "Lets try this shit again" version 2??? http://www.tweaktown.com/news/38997...l-designer-for-a-new-next-gen-xbox/index.html

Console are limited by power consumption. Doubt many people would want a 1 kilowatt console!

PCs can use 1kw pretty easily...

Now we can notice the end towards more power efficient GPUs. There's a very good reason for that! ;)

consoles are fixed technology platforms for better and for worse
hey look I've discovered the moon...
...maybe sadder than forgetting it exists at all

Lol.

It needs to be understood that the PS4 and Xbone are not mid range PCs. They're low end PCs at best. While they both have 8 core CPUs, they run at 1.6Ghz and they're Jaguar cores. No where near as good as Piledriver or Kaveri that you typically get in desktop CPUs. Which makes an Intel setup far beyond what these machines can do. The GPU is not performing anywhere near a 7970 as many people here claim. At best it seems to perform at a R7 260x.

But console systems are never faster then a PC. They just bring cheap current PC hardware to mainstream. When Super Nintendo was around it couldn't play Doom without a FX chip, while Doom only needed a 386 chip from the late 80's. Quake was never properly ported on the Playstation due to lack of ram. It wasn't until recently that consoles were the platforms that got bad ports, not the PC.

But we could talk about specs all day long but the truth is none of that matters. The point is you could build a mid range PC for $500-$600. Back in the Super Nintendo days it cost $2000 for a PC and even in the early 360/PS3 days it was a good $800 for a mid range PC. Today a Core i5 with a Radeon 7850 is only $600, and it will destroy a PS4. You have more games to choose from at lower prices and you don't need to pay Xbox Live or PSN a monthly fee to play online.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: Zalman ZM-T3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($37.05 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $574.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 04:23 EDT-0400

Woops, that parts list isn't counting the 7850. Just add another $100 to that list.

From a performance per dollar stand point for a $600 PC, its hard to argue against it. But for consoles, performance does take back seat to other things. There are console exclusives that you cannot get on a PC (sports games come to mind). The idea of having multiple controllers sharing the same screen (this could be a good or bad thing), but the fun factor is having a small party in the living room having a casual gaming session (think Mario Party).

Consoles and PCs have their place in their world, and both are multi-billion dollar industries for a reason.

But we could talk about specs all day long but the truth is none of that matters. The point is you could build a mid range PC for $500-$600. Back in the Super Nintendo days it cost $2000 for a PC and even in the early 360/PS3 days it was a good $800 for a mid range PC. Today a Core i5 with a Radeon 7850 is only $600, and it will destroy a PS4. You have more games to choose from at lower prices and you don't need to pay Xbox Live or PSN a monthly fee to play online.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)

Missing the controller, and maybe you could potentially add some 100$ to the upfront cost vs having to pay for gold//plus to play online x 5 years and the lesser ammount of bargains, so a 700$ system or a bit higher would be a more fair comparison.

Still the consoles are marketted to an instant satisfaction consumer, and for them it makes sense. Personally i enjoy the exclusives but i can't lie to myself vs my simple 7870 the ps4 is lacking power wise, it is also missing some multimedia features but again, i have my media pc hooked to the tv anyways so yeah /shrugs.

It needs to be understood that the PS4 and Xbone are not mid range PCs. They're low end PCs at best. While they both have 8 core CPUs, they run at 1.6Ghz and they're Jaguar cores. No where near as good as Piledriver or Kaveri that you typically get in desktop CPUs. Which makes an Intel setup far beyond what these machines can do. The GPU is not performing anywhere near a 7970 as many people here claim. At best it seems to perform at a R7 260x.

But console systems are never faster then a PC. They just bring cheap current PC hardware to mainstream. When Super Nintendo was around it couldn't play Doom without a FX chip, while Doom only needed a 386 chip from the late 80's. Quake was never properly ported on the Playstation due to lack of ram. It wasn't until recently that consoles were the platforms that got bad ports, not the PC.

No controller in your list and you are already $674.00 in ($499 for PC), not to mention that the average person does not want (nor care about) putting together and building a PC. Installing the OS, getting drivers, and then tweaks. Not to mention that PC will not last the entire life of a console for gaming. You will have to up grade incrementally through the life span of a console.

This argument gets thrown around all the time. There is nothing that matches the total value of the consoles in the price spectrum. You can scream graphics and resolutions all you want; however, in general it brings the same satisfaction when you fire that RPG on console and PC.

You guys have a seriously distorted view of reality and people in general. If these developers only catered to you they would go broke.

Still the consoles are marketted to an instant satisfaction consumer, and for them it makes sense. Personally i enjoy the exclusives but i can't lie to myself vs my simple 7870 the ps4 is lacking power wise, it is also missing some multimedia features but again, i have my media pc hooked to the tv anyways so yeah /shrugs.
For those who just don't want to deal with the technical PC stuff then yea a PS4 makes sense. The problem is that you're trading price for that convenience. Over time owning a PS4/Xbone will cost you more than owning a mid range PC. It's like Television right now, where it does require a bit of work to setup a netflix or Hulu machine. People don't do it for convenience so much as to save money. Once you get over that learning hump it's easier from that point forward.

Also that PC parts list could still be cheaper with a Intel Pentium G3258. Really no difference when it comes to gaming compared to an i5.

Well, Sony has to put a positive spin on their garbage products somehow.
"Filmic experiences", oh man, you've gotta love tech propaganda. :p

My favorite marketing buzzword is "next gen". I've never understood how something that is CURRENTLY out on the market can be NEXT generation, especially when it launches with what is essentially mid-range PC hardware.

No controller in your list and you are already $674.00 in ($499 for PC), not to mention that the average person does not want (nor care about) putting together and building a PC. Installing the OS, getting drivers, and then tweaks. Not to mention that PC will not last the entire life of a console for gaming. You will have to up grade incrementally through the life span of a console.
SteamBox will fix that problem for people that don't want to put together their own PC. But a decent gaming PC can last a good 3 years, while most Xbox 360's and PS3's would break down long before that. Who here hasn't experienced a 360's RROD or PS3 with issues? I know I have.

Keep in mind my PC parts list is a mid to high end gaming PC. It by far out performs a PS4. There were problems with it so I made some adjustments. Remember a PS4 is at best a low end PC, AT BEST. Also I'm not including a game controller cause everyone has a keyboard and mouse. Just like everyone has a TV or monitor. But honestly if you don't want to put together your own PC then just get one from IBuyPower, and yes it comes with a keyboard and mouse for $550.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $564.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 10:21 EDT-0400

This argument gets thrown around all the time. There is nothing that matches the total value of the consoles in the price spectrum. You can scream graphics and resolutions all you want; however, in general it brings the same satisfaction when you fire that RPG on console and PC.

You guys have a seriously distorted view of reality and people in general. If these developers only catered to you they would go broke.
What you fail to understand that it's not about specs. Console vs PC is no longer about speed. People wanted something they could slap into a box and play a game, and consoles aren't doing that anymore. It's equally as hard to get a game going on a console than on PC. There's always a patch for the game, and an update for the machine. Then you need to pay your multiplayer fee and that your old library of games no longer works on your new PS4/Xbone.

On PC you can update Windows when you want to, and Steam is relatively quick when it comes to it's updates. No monthly multiplayer fee for games, and all your old games work. I do mean, ALL YOUR OLD GAMES WORK as far back as DOS games from the 90's.

So if a $500 or $600 PC can do the job of playing your games, while being able to watch Netflix Hulu while being able to run Office and print, then why buy a $400 paper weight? Cause right now majority of games on those machines are Remastered editions. While every game on PC is already remastered. On top of the plethora of free games and constant discounts with Humble Bundle, it seems that owning a console comes with a high premium compared to PC gaming. On top of it a lot of PS4 games don't run 1080P and you can forget about Xbone.

SteamBox will fix that problem for people that don't want to put together their own PC. But a decent gaming PC can last a good 3 years, while most Xbox 360's and PS3's would break down long before that. Who here hasn't experienced a 360's RROD or PS3 with issues? I know I have.

Keep in mind my PC parts list is a mid to high end gaming PC. It by far out performs a PS4. There were problems with it so I made some adjustments. Remember a PS4 is at best a low end PC, AT BEST. Also I'm not including a game controller cause everyone has a keyboard and mouse. Just like everyone has a TV or monitor. But honestly if you don't want to put together your own PC then just get one from IBuyPower, and yes it comes with a keyboard and mouse for $550.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $564.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 10:21 EDT-0400

What you fail to understand that it's not about specs. Console vs PC is no longer about speed. People wanted something they could slap into a box and play a game, and consoles aren't doing that anymore. It's equally as hard to get a game going on a console than on PC. There's always a patch for the game, and an update for the machine. Then you need to pay your multiplayer fee and that your old library of games no longer works on your new PS4/Xbone.

On PC you can update Windows when you want to, and Steam is relatively quick when it comes to it's updates. No monthly multiplayer fee for games, and all your old games work. I do mean, ALL YOUR OLD GAMES WORK as far back as DOS games from the 90's.

So if a $500 or $600 PC can do the job of playing your games, while being able to watch Netflix Hulu while being able to run Office and print, then why buy a $400 paper weight? Cause right now majority of games on those machines are Remastered editions. While every game on PC is already remastered. On top of the plethora of free games and constant discounts with Humble Bundle, it seems that owning a console comes with a high premium compared to PC gaming. On top of it a lot of PS4 games don't run 1080P and you can forget about Xbone.

I like all of these points.

And some really old DOS games like Doom and Doom2, there are usually free emulator/dos box replacements to get these working. Zandronum + Brutal Doom .019 + Musicpack replacement turns all the old doom and doom2 into new games (with mouse look, Jump, Crouch), still fun to play. Simple graphics I know but it is a really nice point about being able to play games on a pc that go pretty far back. Plus, we got emulators for old nintendo games and old arcade games too :) There is a place for consoles, but affordable gaming pc's in the same sub $1000 price space can do a whole lot more.

And, I have so many steam games to play still, that it doesn't bother me that there might be console exclusives. I don't really care, got more games than time to play them as it is. (Doesn't help that I am replaying plutonia experiment atm :) )

I read that article and the guy is freaking clueless. Most computers cannot game at 4k resolutions and 4k is not going to suddenly, in the next 2 years, going to explode and make 1080p obsolete. Also, todays 4k TVs, at least the cheap ones, are a joke.

Now, if he thinks that the Xbox one and PS4 could have been produced at current prices with PC equivalent high end hardware, he is more clueless than I gave him credit for. That is not going to happen. Hell, my XFX R9 290 alone cost as much as these consoles.

Back