Canon Printer Hacked To Run Doom

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's the best way to demonstrate security problems on your printer? Hack it to run Doom. Check out the video here.

A wireless Canon Pixma printer has been hacked to run classic video game Doom. The hack was carried out by security researcher Michael Jordon, and it took four months to get the game running on the hardware.

Lame. I was hoping it would print out each frame that you would then go through like a flip book.

4 months to create this? That's 4 months he can't get back... I found it a waste of 27 seconds... reminds me of when you didn't have a video card and you tried to run it in the tiny "press -" screen with far worse graphics...

4 months to create this? That's 4 months he can't get back... I found it a waste of 27 seconds... reminds me of when you didn't have a video card and you tried to run it in the tiny "press -" screen with far worse graphics...

you must be a riot at parties.

While cool, seems like a waste of time, considering how difficult it was according to the article.

Writing code and getting it running sucked up months of Mr Jordon's spare time

Nice. Screw the smartphones. We'll all be carrying inkjet printers in our pockets within a couple years.

My idea. You can't have it.

Nice. Screw the smartphones. We'll all be carrying inkjet printers in our pockets within a couple years.

My idea. You can't have it.

Apple would like to talk to you out back...something about patent infringement.

Waste of time? Damn. Some people are hard to please. I'd be proud of that accomplishment and it wouldn't be a waste. I wonder if those people climbing mountains consider it a waste of time. You know, it's just climbing a big hill.....

The only thing I find sad is that my old 486 couldn't even run it at that speed (same window size, though!). Pretty sweet stuff. I couldn't do something like that.

So I'm wondering why everything looked like an acid trip. I thought it might be the available color palette or something, but the intro screen looked like it was in full color and looked correct.

While cool, seems like a waste of time, considering how difficult it was according to the article.
No doubt coding it and just getting it to work was the most fun part. May seem like a waste of time to everyone else, but he probably had a blast coding it. So not a waste of time to him. He probably felt it was time well spent.

No doubt coding it and just getting it to work was the most fun part. May seem like a waste of time to everyone else, but he probably had a blast coding it. So not a waste of time to him. He probably felt it was time well spent.

He might have started out that way but.......

Mr Jordon has no plans to fine tune the demonstration and do that optimisation or take on more work to get the game beyond its loading screen, given how much trouble it took to get it working at all.

"I'm so sick of it," he said. "I'm done."

Waste of time? Damn. Some people are hard to please. I'd be proud of that accomplishment and it wouldn't be a waste. I wonder if those people climbing mountains consider it a waste of time. You know, it's just climbing a big hill.....

The only thing I find sad is that my old 486 couldn't even run it at that speed (same window size, though!). Pretty sweet stuff. I couldn't do something like that.

25mhz SX? My 486dx2-66 was fast enough. Although i had a scsi drive that would recal every 20 minutes and it was FAST.

At least this puts all the questions whether your printer can run Doom to rest. Pretty sweet and scary hack, too bad in game colors are all messed up. Framerate is great though! :)

25mhz SX? My 486dx2-66 was fast enough. Although i had a scsi drive that would recal every 20 minutes and it was FAST.

DX-33. 5MB RAM (I had 4, but upgraded with 4 256k 30pin sticks). Eventually went with a 16MB 72pin SIMM and a DX4-100 with Windows 95. Then, I finally moved to the amazing Pentium series (well the so-called Pentium Killer Cyrix).

what!

it ran great on a 386 full screen

Back