Intel Introduced Its Newest Creation: The Smart Wheelchair

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Intel has been working with Dr. Stephen Hawking on an Internet of Things project for the past ten years. The new concept wheelchair is described as ‘a custom platform that can transform standard wheelchairs into data driven, connected machines.

I have mixed feelings about the internet of things, although it's hard to argue against how having realtime monitoring on these vitals is huge to the medical community and to those in need of it.

I have mixed feelings about the internet of things, although it's hard to argue against how having realtime monitoring on these vitals is huge to the medical community and to those in need of it.

Don't shun the Internet of Things.

Its just the beginning and has a huge future.

Don't shun the Internet of Things.

Its just the beginning and has a huge future.

We are already facing numerous problems with access management, with grid monitoring stations that have no business being on the internet being exposed and vulnerable. I will leave the data collection matter aside (someone else will jump on it in a hurry)

Is Hawking really contributing anything these days, or are they just using the weight of his name? Poor guy can't drive his wheelchair, can barely breath, and it takes him two minutes to put out a word as he's deteriorating, so it seems unlikely he's able to contribute much IMO.

Is Hawking really contributing anything these days, or are they just using the weight of his name? Poor guy can't drive his wheelchair, can barely breath, and it takes him two minutes to put out a word as he's deteriorating, so it seems unlikely he's able to contribute much IMO.

Hawking's far from an idiot. I think he's using his name at his own discretion. He's proven how tenacious he is just through his survival along, never mind his achievements.

I'm sure that Hawking is well aware of his own current condition, and it's more likely that even if he can't contribute, he understands the relevance of throwing his own name around when it comes to promoting projects.

Anybody else read the headline and immediately think of the movie "Gremlins" where the old lady and her wheelchair got launched through the roof on the stair lift?

Back