$2.5 Billion Microsoft/Mojang Deal Announcement on Monday?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
To all those of you who were worried that Microsoft buying out Minecraft would ruin the franchise and the deal might actually happen, you may now put that fear into overdrive. According to a Reuters report, Microsoft and Mojang will announce the acquisition for the price of $2.5 Billion dollars on Monday.

As for why, it's speculated that Microsoft might attempt to use Mojang—and Minecraft, specifically—to drum up more interest in the Windows Phone platform.

Mojang hasn't done anything since Minecraft anyways.
Now if they had some killer new game just waiting to come out then it would be a different story.
Could you imagine a Minecraft rewrite not in Java and with propper modding tools?

Mojang hasn't done anything since Minecraft anyways.
Now if they had some killer new game just waiting to come out then it would be a different story.
Could you imagine a Minecraft rewrite not in Java and with propper modding tools?

He/They did that weekend charity thing on HumbleBundle, a game where the public voted on it's genre.

Didn't he also announcee an Elder Scrolls themed game or was that just a publicity thing with Bethesda?

Wow, up to 2.5B now from the rumored 2B? :eek:

He'd be insane to not take that offer and enjoy his retirement

How can Minecraft be worth 2.5 Billion $ !?!?!
Its a cute fun game but not worth anything close to that. Hell the biggest/oldest franchise I can think of Mario Bros isn't worth that.

Its a cute fun game but not worth anything close to that. Hell the biggest/oldest franchise I can think of Mario Bros isn't worth that.

Micro-payments & hosted servers perhaps? Almost everyone who wants Minecraft has it by now so I doubt direct sales are worth too much.

I bet Microsoft thinks Mojang is the iD Software for this generation (and Double Fine probably wasn't available :D).

I bet he has a ton of patents using Voxels.

But 2.5B is quite a bit for this.

Notch has been distancing himself from Minecraft for a while now. He doesn't like being in the limelight at all , can't blame him for moving on.

Minecraft easily worth the asking price. Its this generations "Mario" frankly. Its extremely viable in terms of image and viability for the future. Microsoft also has been saying (mind you this all hasn't been fully confirmed) that it won't restrict Minecraft to its platforms (it would be crazy to do so) so nothing will really change except probably an increase in patch frequency and more add ons.

Notch has been distancing himself from Minecraft for a while now. He doesn't like being in the limelight at all , can't blame him for moving on.

Minecraft easily worth the asking price. Its this generations "Mario" frankly. Its extremely viable in terms of image and viability for the future. Microsoft also has been saying (mind you this all hasn't been fully confirmed) that it won't restrict Minecraft to its platforms (it would be crazy to do so) so nothing will really change except probably an increase in patch frequency and more add ons.

Tried the free version for a couple hours, never got what all the fuss was about honestly.

Meant to add, Good for him for getting his money and getting out while it was still worth something.

He/They did that weekend charity thing on HumbleBundle, a game where the public voted on it's genre.

Didn't he also announcee an Elder Scrolls themed game or was that just a publicity thing with Bethesda?

Pretty sure you're referring to the Amnesia Fortnight thing Double Fine does. I don't believe I've ever seen Mojang EVER do anything with Humble Bundle.

There will now be a Windows Phone version. One down, and just a million more apps to go before MS catches up to Android and iOS. :)

Congratulations to Notch.

MS negotiating team should be dragged away in straitjackets.

There will now be a Windows Phone version. One down, and just a million more apps to go before MS catches up to Android and iOS. :)

All five people that don't use their windows phone as a feature phone/dumbphone will be pleased.

If its really a winphone version they were after, MS would've probably been better off just paying people to use their ugly phones.

All five people that don't use their windows phone as a feature phone/dumbphone will be pleased.

I can understand people not liking Microsoft products, but sometimes the anti-hype is so stupid that is LOL funny. Sure, Windows Phone is well behind in apps but pretty much the major stuff that most people do with other smartphones is there.

If its really a winphone version they were after, MS would've probably been better off just paying people to use their ugly phones.

outside the USA, windows phones have a much bigger following. Oddly countries like Russia and Mexico have tons. It is growing in the US as well as some places that weren't going to bother with it are starting to bother with it.

Take the money and run if some fool offers you $2.5 billion for that blocky game. Do the same even if it was a fraction of that amount.

outside the USA, windows phones have a much bigger following. Oddly countries like Russia and Mexico have tons. It is growing in the US as well as some places that weren't going to bother with it are starting to bother with it.

Going to free licensing is mostly why and something Microsoft should have done much earlier. Another reason also is the removal of the hardware buttons requirements so it's much easier to repurpose Android hardware, like HTC did with the One M8.

Take the money and run if some fool offers you $2.5 billion for that blocky game. Do the same even if it was a fraction of that amount.
Well it's made over 550 million from 2012-2013. Overpriced, probably, but not for a fraction of it.

Wow, up to 2.5B now from the rumored 2B? :eek:

He'd be insane to not take that offer and enjoy his retirement

Would he be insane? IMO the franchise could fetch up to 4 billion and that would be reasonable given the revenue numbers I have heard.

Everything Microsoft touches turns into shit if shit were made out of money.
It's not that. Everyone is suddenly acting like Mojang was ALREADY on their way out (as if it wouldn't matter if Microsoft bought them, because they are already faltering).

Would he be insane? IMO the franchise could fetch up to 4 billion and that would be reasonable given the revenue numbers I have heard.

They did reach out to a lot of different platforms during their peak years. I wonder if they are hitting saturation yet.

Either way, its possibly the hottest game on the market right now.

It's not that. Everyone is suddenly acting like Mojang was ALREADY on their way out (as if it wouldn't matter if Microsoft bought them, because they are already faltering).

You're right, I was just making a little joke.;)

They did reach out to a lot of different platforms during their peak years. I wonder if they are hitting saturation yet.

Either way, its possibly the hottest game on the market right now.

Considering Microsoft's position in mobile, it is beyond obvious that they needed to make some acquisitions particularly in games and Minecraft is certainly a top gaming property. And if Mojang was looking to sell, do you really think that no one else would have picked them up? And if some think that Microsoft is going to pull Minecraft from non-Windows platforms, do you think that Google wouldn't have thought about pulling Windows versions? They certainly would have made sure that Minecraft would never come to Windows phones and tablets.

If Mojang came to Microsoft and was going to sell regardless, Microsoft didn't have any logical course of action but to buy them.

My son plays Minecraft basically every day with his friends. He has spent more money on the micro-transactions than the game itself, to give him a boost above other players. I tried to instill the idea that it was the same as cheating (pay-to-win), but if his friends had the upgrade he wanted them also. The upgrades are also per server, and they play on many servers and find new stuff all the time.

I tremendously hate the profanity that is filled in the chat every time I look at it, but how can I ban him from playing what all his friends play? If MS buys it the first thing I would hope (but won't expect) is a cleaning up of the chat. I know the internet will never be an upstanding place, but it can't get better if no one ever tries to make it better.

Tried the free version for a couple hours, never got what all the fuss was about honestly.

Then really nothing anyone can say will make you "get it" but fuck it I'll try. The game has sold 50 million copies across various platforms. Its used as a teaching tool in schools in Europe (probably North America too) , there are Governments that recreated their cities in Minecraft for people to mess around in for god sakes. No game in recent times has had the impact Minecraft has. It's shown up almost in every form of media so far.

If you are a big business like Microsoft , you will and smartly so , pay anything for such a hot property. It will make Microsoft back its money in a few years time when they start aggressively marketing it.

Don't think for a minute that Notch has been courted by many many other suitors over the past few years.

Imagine passing on Pokemon when it started to really take off.. you'd be kicking yourself for years. Minecraft is that but possibly even more.

outside the USA, windows phones have a much bigger following.

Like in Europe. Although that's due to the Nokia brand name which is soon going to be dropped from Microsoft's phones. Once that goes, so does most of their European market.

My hope here is that the game is developed to go beyond java rendering. Even with a Core i7, the game hogs about 70% of the CPU and about 3.2GB of memory. On average. Utilize the GPU, Direct X, OpenGL. Something to make resource handling more efficient. Playing World of Warcraft at max setting still consumes less resources than Minecraft.

question: Is minecraft a one-hit wonder?

It would appear that MS only cares about the one IP. The studio itself (as stated in ARS article) indicated that they wanted to undertake new IP/projects but that minecraft was too much to handle in of itself.

You are thinking about a game named Scrolls. It has nothing to do with Bethesda or Elder Scrolls. However Bethesda sued them for using the name Scrolls saying that people would confuse the name with their series.

it sells a lot of copies, plus there is now the ability to rent servers, and then on the consoles you can buy various packs. It brings in hundreds of millions so years. That would be a few years out to get the money back but you don't sell a company for what you make in a year.

Well it's made over 550 million from 2012-2013. Overpriced, probably, but not for a fraction of it.
So 5 years if that was all they made, but now with newer services tied to the game should take far less, which makes sense for how you sell off a business.

My son plays Minecraft basically every day with his friends. He has spent more money on the micro-transactions than the game itself, to give him a boost above other players. I tried to instill the idea that it was the same as cheating (pay-to-win), but if his friends had the upgrade he wanted them also. The upgrades are also per server, and they play on many servers and find new stuff all the time.

I tremendously hate the profanity that is filled in the chat every time I look at it, but how can I ban him from playing what all his friends play? If MS buys it the first thing I would hope (but won't expect) is a cleaning up of the chat. I know the internet will never be an upstanding place, but it can't get better if no one ever tries to make it better.

Not sure what your son would be buying as there are no boost to have over other players, as there is no goal to the game and the game is already setup to "cheat". Go into creative mode and you can just make every item in the game. Any mods that you would want are free, and anything installed server side would be there for everyone, so there would be no buying something because a friend has it because the server admin is the one that installs and controls all of that. On the console version however you have to buy texture packs since unlike on the pc you can't just install them, so that would be the closest thing. However that again doesn't give you a boost or anything, just makes things look different. There is no pay to win in Minecraft so you are wrong in that area as your son wouldn't be doing anything of the sort. At best he is paying for different textures. Which doesn't give any type of boost, it makes thing look different. As for the profanity, there are mods out there already for filters. But if the server owner doesn't want it on they won't install that mod and so it won't matter. .

Not sure what your son would be buying as there are no boost to have over other players, as there is no goal to the game and the game is already setup to "cheat". Go into creative mode and you can just make every item in the game. Any mods that you would want are free, and anything installed server side would be there for everyone, so there would be no buying something because a friend has it because the server admin is the one that installs and controls all of that. On the console version however you have to buy texture packs since unlike on the pc you can't just install them, so that would be the closest thing. However that again doesn't give you a boost or anything, just makes things look different. There is no pay to win in Minecraft so you are wrong in that area as your son wouldn't be doing anything of the sort. At best he is paying for different textures. Which doesn't give any type of boost, it makes thing look different. As for the profanity, there are mods out there already for filters. But if the server owner doesn't want it on they won't install that mod and so it won't matter. .

There are many servers with content that can be purchased. GTAMC.NET is currently popular with his group. $3 on the low end, $12 for an expensive upgrade. If you actually play the game you should take a look around at what's available. What he plays looks very different than the base game.

Back