California Outlaws Non-Disparagement Clauses

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's pretty damn sad that we need a law to prevent crap like this.

And so California Governor Jerry Brown recently signed off on a piece of legislation that will make it illegal to try to enforce one of these silly clauses against a California consumer starting in 2015. Violating the California law will result in penalties of up to $2,500 for the first instance, and up to $5,000 for each subsequent violation. If a customer can prove that it is willful, intentional, or reckless violation” they can be awarded a civil penalty not to exceed $10,000.

Sad we need a law like this indeed...hurry up and pass it everywhere. Send some of these shitbag companies a message that predatory consumer practices will not be tolerated.

That law should make the penalty double what the fine the company establishes, not some arbitrary amount. This would be a major deterrent and pretty much eliminate this type of crap.

I miss the good old days when it was about the customer experience and making sure the customer was satisfied, and not the almighty dollar and the who cares attitude

That law should make the penalty double what the fine the company establishes, not some arbitrary amount. This would be a major deterrent and pretty much eliminate this type of crap.

I think they should use RIAA multipliers here -- something like 100x :D

I miss the good old days when it was about the customer experience and making sure the customer was satisfied, and not the almighty dollar and the who cares attitude

Do you really think that such a time existed? Greed is eternal and when it comes to money dirty tricks and practices are timeless. Technology has only changed the methods and made it easier.

Double fine? More like 10x fine what they want to charge you! Damn those evil companies.

b-b-but you're not forced to buy there! the invisible (and non-existant) hand of free markets will fix everything!!1

Do you really think that such a time existed? Greed is eternal and when it comes to money dirty tricks and practices are timeless. Technology has only changed the methods and made it easier.

No, he's right, it's definitely become worse as corporate boardrooms demand more and more profits from the same customers. Don't agree with that? Take a look at banks. They used to give you money when you let them borrow your money. Now? They give you nothing and will charge you everything they can get away with, even if that means being entirely dishonest and scandalous. And that's only in the few decades since I was a kid and opened my first bank account, and that's only one example. I could sit here and type examples all day… ;)

5K for the first offense? If they (the company) do this alot, that's a drop in the bucket. Make it 50K, and they might stop doing it.

BTW, WTF does the money go? To the state, or the consumer that was charged? To the state, of course.

In other words....the consumer get's shafted, the state wins.

5K for the first offense? If they (the company) do this alot, that's a drop in the bucket. Make it 50K, and they might stop doing it.

BTW, WTF does the money go? To the state, or the consumer that was charged? To the state, of course.

In other words....the consumer get's shafted, the state wins.

Actually consumer isn't going to get shafted because if they illegally charge your credit card, which is what they would be doing, that would get charged back. It might be up to the consumer to actually make that happen by calling the credit card company, but they can because this would be the same thing as using your CC for paying gas, and the gas station owner decides to tack on another $5000 because he felt like it.

The fine would stick to the company, yes the state would get it just like any sort of fine for violating the law.

No, he's right, it's definitely become worse as corporate boardrooms demand more and more profits from the same customers. Don't agree with that? Take a look at banks. They used to give you money when you let them borrow your money. Now? They give you nothing and will charge you everything they can get away with, even if that means being entirely dishonest and scandalous. And that's only in the few decades since I was a kid and opened my first bank account, and that's only one example. I could sit here and type examples all day… ;)

Well, that's due to the Fed discount rate, actually. Mortgage rates are so low, there is a minuscule spread, similar with other "safe" investments such as T-Bills, etc. Therefore, they can't pay more than a pittance on savings rates.

In related news, Klear Gear is closing up shop in CA and relocating elsewhere.

Back