College Campuses Blocked From Playing Destiny

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are in college and are currently blocked from playing Destiny, have no fear, Bungie says they working on it.

As seen on the official Bungie forums and Twitter hashtag "fixcentipede," players on university campuses are experiencing the Centipede Error. It arises when university network configurations do not to support the online game, blocking access to servers.

How about, y'know, studying?

What? College is for getting drunk, ending up with people taking a ton of topless pics you'll regret later in life and hope never get shared online, and dropping out after getting prego. Oh and playing lots of paper and pencil RPGs too. Those are important and everyone thinks Numenera is a good game world.

What? College is for getting drunk, ending up with people taking a ton of topless pics you'll regret later in life and hope never get shared online, and dropping out after getting prego. Oh and playing lots of paper and pencil RPGs too. Those are important and everyone thinks Numenera is a good game world.

If you are in computer science or an engineering major you don't have time to fool around much.

Well I got a BS in Mathematics and I fooled around a lot. I played a lot of Halo and Counter Strike, went to parties, etc. Good times.

You need to balance your fun with work. There's no way I would operate efficiently if my brain was forced into cramming 24/7.

hahaha, that's all for a degree of Arts.
Now, for those going for a degree of Science, good luck with having the time for any of that. :(

Have problems with campus internet? Get a job and get your own, my 2 ISP in Canada offer $20 student internet, when I went last year it wasn't even noticable, I spend more than that on coffee in a month lol

Have problems with campus internet? Get a job and get your own, my 2 ISP in Canada offer $20 student internet, when I went last year it wasn't even noticable, I spend more than that on coffee in a month lol
Except you can't switch to a different ISP if you're living on campus.

Except you can't switch to a different ISP if you're living on campus.

Really? I figures if they have a phone or cable,jack they could. Mabey its different in Canada but we can have any ISP we want provide services to our dorms (at least at the college I go to)

Well I got a BS in Mathematics and I fooled around a lot. I played a lot of Halo and Counter Strike, went to parties, etc. Good times.

I double majored in Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering. I spent the vast majority of my time on my engineering work. The only real trouble I ever had in math was analysis (complex and real). The math used in undergrad engineering isn't hard per say...it's all the other shit you have to apply that math to be able to solve even basic engineering problems.

Really? I figures if they have a phone or cable,jack they could. Mabey its different in Canada but we can have any ISP we want provide services to our dorms (at least at the college I go to)

Most campuses provide internet and it's not really possible to get your own service. With that said, the college I attend for my gradate studies doesn't have this problem from what I can tell. I don't live in the dorms obviously...but I'm sure I would have heard something by now if this were a problem.

I double majored in Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering. I spent the vast majority of my time on my engineering work. The only real trouble I ever had in math was analysis (complex and real). The math used in undergrad engineering isn't hard per say...it's all the other shit you have to apply that math to be able to solve even basic engineering problems.

I guess it should be mentioned I had zero spare time. None. Grad school is fucking cake compared to that nightmare I put myself through.

I guess it should be mentioned I had zero spare time. None. Grad school is fucking cake compared to that nightmare I put myself through.

As long as we've got our dicks out...
Biochemistry and Economics, I feel your pain. I did manage to play entirely too many video games though, maybe that's why my gpa sucked...

As long as we've got our dicks out...
Biochemistry and Economics, I feel your pain. I did manage to play entirely too many video games though, maybe that's why my gpa sucked...

At least there is a lot of crossover between my two BS degrees lol. I don't imagine there was a lot of application between Biochem and Economics (which some people don't realize how difficult Econ actually is as a major) in an academic setting.

I wish I went to college but no I'm stuck with Walmart and chowder head managers.

If you are in computer science or an engineering major you don't have time to fool around much.

Aint that the fucking truth right now I am doing the easy shit and I spend 30 hours a week on math.

I wish I went to college but no I'm stuck with Walmart and chowder head managers.

Never to late I am almost 31 and going to school!

This is my scenario as well. I'm 29 and in grad school having just finished my undergrad(s) last year. With that said, I go to school on Uncle Sam's dime since I served in the Air Force...so the financial barrier isn't much of an issue for me. Others might not be so fortunate and the idea of having to take out giant loans to pay for school isn't exactly an appealing idea.

Not necessarily, i was an engineering major for two years (was going into Aero originally) and i had plenty of free time to bore myself with. Ended up moving to the major of electrical engineering technology, which on my track is pretty much embedded systems engineering, and I've got even more free time even with working 20 hours a week, staying active in my fraternity, and being an officer of a club. It's all about keeping a balance of activities in my opinion. Very much a "work hard play hard" attitude in my social circles here at Purdue. Senior Design kind of sucks and can suck all your time if you get any under performing teammates though...

Not necessarily, i was an engineering major for two years (was going into Aero originally) and i had plenty of free time to bore myself with. Ended up moving to the major of electrical engineering technology, which on my track is pretty much embedded systems engineering, and I've got even more free time even with working 20 hours a week, staying active in my fraternity, and being an officer of a club. It's all about keeping a balance of activities in my opinion. Very much a "work hard play hard" attitude in my social circles here at Purdue. Senior Design kind of sucks and can suck all your time if you get any under performing teammates though...

Engineering Technology Degrees =/= Engineering Degrees

The first couple years of engineering isn't really bad. If you spent 2 years in an Aero program I figure you were probably just getting into thermodynamics and/or fluid mechanics along with differential equations with a few labs sprinkled in. It was about my 'junior' year when shit started to hit the fan when it came to stress.

Engineering Technology Degrees =/= Engineering Degrees

The first couple years of engineering isn't really bad. If you spent 2 years in an Aero program I figure you were probably just getting into thermodynamics and/or fluid mechanics along with differential equations with a few labs sprinkled in. It was about my 'junior' year when shit started to hit the fan when it came to stress.

I'm in a science and engineering fraternity, and I can without a doubt say that everyone's experience is realistically similar to mine, be it Aero, Electrical/Comp. E, Materials, Mechanical, etc. And realistically, the first 2 years of a degree are the most time consuming here, since you get thrown into a lot of BS courses with hours of "busywork" nightly (Here's 20 taylor series to have done by midnight, etc.). Some universities "make" Engineers, Purdue more or less just weeds out those who don't already possess the qualities of an engineer. Coursework is similarly rigorous in both the College of Engineering and College of Technology when it comes to Electrical in terms of the Program here at Purdue (ME / MET are entirely different animals, however). When it comes down to it, the CoE leans more theoretical than most universities while the CoT tends towards more application based calculations and is very similar to the Electrical Engineering programs at most other Universities (Not uncommon for EETs from Purdue to take the F.E, and the placement rate into traditional engineering roles has been higher than the CoE the past few years). A lot of this is due to the fact that the EE program is essentially identical to the Computer Engineering program aside from some Senior year coursework. CoT does require somewhat less math than the CoE, and the majority of students only end up going through a "Calc 1 for Technology" and then a " Calc 2 for Technology" which just brushes on some of the typical Calculus topics while bringing in others like brief introductions to Differential Equations, Le Place Transforms, etc. In reality, the hardest parts of any coursework here as far as STEM fields are concerned are the Math department courses, aside from that obvious "killer" class that every major seems to have like Thermo II (The famous ME300 course of Purdue, heh), Analytical / Physical Chem, Heat/Mass Transfer, Senior Design, etc. Whatever major you're in though really, as long as you don't goof off / procrastinate on coursework and there's plenty of spare time most days (except the day or two before midterms and finals, perhaps).

hahaha, that's all for a degree of Arts.
Now, for those going for a degree of Science, good luck with having the time for any of that. :(

Are you hinting that you should have gotten a degree in the arts instead of science? I'm sensing a regretful undercurrent.

Well, I double majored in Mathematics and Computer Science. I never finished CS and just got a BS in Math. Eventually, I got an M.Eng in Computer Engineering. I do a lot of gaming and partying in between coursework and studying. My GPA may not be the best in the world but it landed me a job. :)

I'm in a science and engineering fraternity, and I can without a doubt say that everyone's experience is realistically similar to mine, be it Aero, Electrical/Comp. E, Materials, Mechanical, etc. And realistically, the first 2 years of a degree are the most time consuming here, since you get thrown into a lot of BS courses with hours of "busywork" nightly (Here's 20 taylor series to have done by midnight, etc.). Some universities "make" Engineers, Purdue more or less just weeds out those who don't already possess the qualities of an engineer. Coursework is similarly rigorous in both the College of Engineering and College of Technology when it comes to Electrical in terms of the Program here at Purdue (ME / MET are entirely different animals, however). When it comes down to it, the CoE leans more theoretical than most universities while the CoT tends towards more application based calculations and is very similar to the Electrical Engineering programs at most other Universities (Not uncommon for EETs from Purdue to take the F.E, and the placement rate into traditional engineering roles has been higher than the CoE the past few years). A lot of this is due to the fact that the EE program is essentially identical to the Computer Engineering program aside from some Senior year coursework. CoT does require somewhat less math than the CoE, and the majority of students only end up going through a "Calc 1 for Technology" and then a " Calc 2 for Technology" which just brushes on some of the typical Calculus topics while bringing in others like brief introductions to Differential Equations, Le Place Transforms, etc. In reality, the hardest parts of any coursework here as far as STEM fields are concerned are the Math department courses, aside from that obvious "killer" class that every major seems to have like Thermo II (The famous ME300 course of Purdue, heh), Analytical / Physical Chem, Heat/Mass Transfer, Senior Design, etc. Whatever major you're in though really, as long as you don't goof off / procrastinate on coursework and there's plenty of spare time most days (except the day or two before midterms and finals, perhaps).

Makes sense, I come from the ME side of things so I was just comparing to the MET guys I've encountered in the past. Smart guys, but engineers they are not.

Back on topic. Destiny is pretty good...though I am obviously already behind all my friends who have more time than me :/

Back