Reddit Declares Itself A ‘Government’

HardOCP News

[H] News
Reddit's CEO says his company is the "government of a new type of community." Umm, if you say so. ;)

The reason is because we consider ourselves not just a company running a website where one can post links and discuss them, but the government of a new type of community. The role and responsibility of a government differs from that of a private corporation, in that it exercises restraint in the usage of its powers.

it pretty much is, and has been for a while. it's in the same vein as wikipedia but for instant streams of information.

Why the hell not, if corporations can get the Supreme Court of the US to say they have rights just like PEOPLE then a website can be a government :)

Reddit is weird.

not really. Reddit today really symbolizes the future of the internet and where it is going as the emerging world connects online.

It has it's own ecosystem
has it's own currency
has people who create original content
is insanely lightweight
empowers people to create their own communities

The reason is because we consider ourselves not just a company running a website where one can post links and discuss them, but the government of a new type of community. The role and responsibility of a government differs from that of a private corporation, in that it exercises restraint in the usage of its powers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If anyone believes that governments actually exercise restraint in the usage of their powers, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell that person. The entire nature of government is that of coercive monopoly--and Reddit isn't that.

Good... Maybe they can take their governing body and move to some place like Somalia. Hopefully take some of the users with them.

The entire nature of government is that of coercive monopoly--and Reddit isn't that.

Effective government has have to some coercive monopoly over the enactment, enforcement and adjudication of law otherwise how can large numbers of people live with any semblance of peace, stability and prosperity? We are all aware of the dangers of oppressive governments and in today's zeitgeist of disdain of government, many even in the relatively freest of nations at least think they feel the boot of government on their necks. But we shouldn't forget the dangers of weak, highly corrupt and ineffectual governments as well.

not really. Reddit today really symbolizes the future of the internet and where it is going as the emerging world connects online.

It has it's own ecosystem
has it's own currency
has people who create original content
is insanely lightweight
empowers people to create their own communities

Honestly if Reddit symbolizes the future of the internet I have only one thing to say.

113685686_iDontWantToLiveOnThisPlanetAnymoreLandscape_answer_2_xlarge.png

I Utterly despise reddit.

Why are there so many weirdos/sociopaths/egotists/pedophiles on alternative communities like reddit and 4chan?

The type of people they attract just seems to be drastically different from your typical Internet forum.

Effective government has have to some coercive monopoly over the enactment, enforcement and adjudication of law otherwise how can large numbers of people live with any semblance of peace, stability and prosperity? .
By stayin' outta my shit!

By stayin' outta my shit!

And for 99%+ percent of the Americans on this board, government probably never got into their shit, at least not to any outrageously overt way in the last few decades. Sure there's complains about things like taxes, the ACA, the NSA and so forth. But these burdens are a far cry from the truly outrageous and oppressive burdens that many Americans have had to carry.

Effective government has have to some coercive monopoly over the enactment, enforcement and adjudication of law otherwise how can large numbers of people live with any semblance of peace, stability and prosperity? We are all aware of the dangers of oppressive governments and in today's zeitgeist of disdain of government, many even in the relatively freest of nations at least think they feel the boot of government on their necks. But we shouldn't forget the dangers of weak, highly corrupt and ineffectual governments as well.

Subreddits can have their own moderators.
If we don't like them, we can start our own! No expat tax.

As for this zeitgeist, well...GM is alive and Al Qaeda is on the..umm....

So, does that mean GoonSwarm (niq/siq) is a police force? *shudder*

And for 99%+ percent of the Americans on this board, government probably never got into their shit, at least not to any outrageously overt way in the last few decades. Sure there's complains about things like taxes, the ACA, the NSA and so forth. But these burdens are a far cry from the truly outrageous and oppressive burdens that many Americans have had to carry.
Taking over 1/2 of my income isn't getting in my shit? The country was formed for less.

I guess some people can rationalize putting their hands in my pocket. Back when we were all mostly serfs working for an elite class there was also all kinds of rationalization for defending the status quo, the common good, etc. I guess some people are in for a shock when tolerance of a large part of the country finally wears thin.

Start your own business and make a little money, then you'll find out just how quickly government gets all up in your shit at every turn, from local to federal.

Reddit is the epitome of tyranny of the majority.
I would somewhat doubt that. Maybe in the beginning but after a time, the way its setup, it begs the emergence of an echo chamber and anyone else just goes elsewhere.

The biggest myth of the internet is that its an open democratic reflection of the public or even the internet using public.

Effective government has have to some coercive monopoly over the enactment, enforcement and adjudication of law otherwise how can large numbers of people live with any semblance of peace, stability and prosperity?
That's what we call a non sequitur.

That's what we call a non sequitur.

Perhaps. I was simply wondering how a nation of hundreds of million souls can live in any kind of order if those most opposed to government made all of the rules, at least equally and honestly. I doubt few who oppose government to the degree many here do could live equally under the law. To me, that is the non sequitur. It's far easier to complain than to provide workable solutions. And it's far easier to provide workable solutions than it is to implement them. But it's nearly impossible implement those solutions without the complaints of the legion. The essence of a free and effective civilization changes much faster and is far more resilient than the attitudes some of that civilization's individual citizens. PD, Political Darwinism.

I don't view your doubts about how everything would work as justification for stealing :)

Perhaps. I was simply wondering how a nation of hundreds of million souls can live in any kind of order if those most opposed to government made all of the rules, at least equally and honestly.
Codes of conduct, rules, laws, mores and the like do not logically require a government. And again: reddit simply doesn't qualify as a government.

Codes of conduct, rules, laws, mores and the like do not logically require a government. And again: reddit simply doesn't qualify as a government.

For the vast majority to actually obey a common code of conduct and meet societal expectations, they must live in constant fear of consequences. Little boys only do what they're supposed to to either earn a reward or because they'll get in trouble. Adult boys only do what they're supposed to so they can buy what they want or because they're afraid of the police. Fear of authority is the only thing that stops the male gender from throwing the world into chaos. If you actually have a better way to enforce a standard of any sort without fear being involved, then you might be able to revolutionize how humans interact in a very fundamental way. If not, then stop complaining and deal with life the way it is.

Why are there so many weirdos/sociopaths/egotists/pedophiles on alternative communities like reddit and 4chan?

The type of people they attract just seems to be drastically different from your typical Internet forum.

That actually came up in the discussion. It was along the lines of "reddit, stop talking to the userbase you want (enlightened, non-trollish, believes in "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it just to make some point") and deal with the userbase you have managed to attract through beating your chest about "anything goes" (r/cutefemalecorpses, r/rapingwomen, etc).

For the vast majority to actually obey a common code of conduct and meet societal expectations, they must live in constant fear of consequences. Little boys only do what they're supposed to to either earn a reward or because they'll get in trouble. Adult boys only do what they're supposed to so they can buy what they want or because they're afraid of the police. Fear of authority is the only thing that stops the male gender from throwing the world into chaos. If you actually have a better way to enforce a standard of any sort without fear being involved, then you might be able to revolutionize how humans interact in a very fundamental way. If not, then stop complaining and deal with life the way it is.

Most of the people that don't steal from me personally now would not steal from me without government. Many of those that would will also try to now, even with a government in place. They are but a small aggregate, where as the people that currently do steal from me via government proxy is nearly 100%. Keeping a government in place give a mathematical certainty that people will steal from me.

Isn't math great?

Most of the people that don't steal from me personally now would not steal from me without government. Many of those that would will also try to now, even with a government in place. They are but a small aggregate, where as the people that currently do steal from me via government proxy is nearly 100%. Keeping a government in place give a mathematical certainty that people will steal from me.

Isn't math great?

Math is great (well if you get that stuff, but I don't so whatever). However, English confusing. Taxation isn't theft so no one who levies taxes that you pay is stealing from you. You're free to move to a place that doesn't charge you taxes and, becuase you don't, you're paying them of your own free will without coercion. Dictionaries totally would help you feel less angry.

The other point though, you've still failed to prove that fear is not fundamental in the adherence to social constructs. Anyone can claim "my friend this" or "Robert that" but you fail to account for the many people you don't know that live in close proximity to you who will happily take things from you if they're not otherwise afraid of a higher power's involvement.

government is the exact opposite of peace, prosperity and stability.

War is only possible through government. A quadrillion dollar derivative bubble is only possible because of government.

Math is great (well if you get that stuff, but I don't so whatever). However, English confusing. Taxation isn't theft so no one who levies taxes that you pay is stealing from you. You're free to move to a place that doesn't charge you taxes and, becuase you don't, you're paying them of your own free will without coercion. Dictionaries totally would help you feel less angry.

The other point though, you've still failed to prove that fear is not fundamental in the adherence to social constructs. Anyone can claim "my friend this" or "Robert that" but you fail to account for the many people you don't know that live in close proximity to you who will happily take things from you if they're not otherwise afraid of a higher power's involvement.

so by staying in an area that taxes me, I consent to taxation?

If your neighbor dumps trash on your lawn, and you don't immediately move away then you consent to having trash on your lawn.

so by staying in an area that taxes me, I consent to taxation?

Nope, I'd say living someplace and taking advantages of services funded through tax dollars means you consent to paying your share of those services. You know, like sending kids to school, paying for public utilities, being protected by police, living in a place that has a military around that can project national power...that kinda junk. If you gain any advantage because of those services, then you should pay a portion of the expenses those services require..unless you plan to build and maintain your own road system and utility poles or satellites. :p

If your neighbor dumps trash on your lawn, and you don't immediately move away then you consent to having trash on your lawn.

Not the same kinda thing. You're gonna have to think a little more deeply.

Back