330 Stores Hit in Goodwill Credit Card Breach

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Just when you thought cybercrooks could not get more despicable, they go and hit Goodwill Stores across the nation. Goodwill reports that almost 900K customer’s credit cards have been compromised since February.

Goodwill’s mission is to provide job training for people with disabilities and disadvantages…They, our shoppers, and our donors are our first priority.

I think I'll stick with my BlueBird card or the like if I want to use a card at stores.

What is the advantage of Bluebird?

https://www.bluebird.com/faqs

Fees
Fee Type Amount
Setup
Monthly fee $0
Annual fee $0
Activation $0
Add Funds
Direct Deposit $0
From a Checking/Savings Account $0
From a Debit Card $0
Cash at Walmart $0
Cash Reload Packs A fee is charged by the provider of the Cash Reload Pack
Add Checks with Mobile App $0
Add Checks by Mail $0
ATM Cash Access
MoneyPassTM Network ATM $0
Out-of-Network ATM $2 for each ATM withdrawal
plus any fees assessed by the ATM owner or operator
Spend Money
Purchase Transactions We do not charge a fee for such transactions. However, the merchant or other third parties may impose fees for such transactions, which may be added to the cost of such transactions.
Pay Bills $0
Bluebird Checks $0
Write a Bluebird Check $0
Send, Receive or Request
Send Money $0
Receive Money $0
Request Money $0
Master Account holder's transfer of money to or between, and reclamation of money from, linked Family Accounts $0
Information
Customer Service $0
Online Statement $0
Balance Inquiry $0
Online/Mobile $0
Other
Replacement Card(s) $0
Foreign Exchange Fees
Inactivity $0
Overdraft Fees $0
Limits

The following limits apply to transactions conducted through your Bluebird Account as well as any Family Accounts. We may set additional limits on your use of your Bluebird Account and any Family Accounts, including in circumstances in which we have not verified all of the identity and other personal information you have provided. All limits remain subject to change in our discretion at any time for legal, risk management, security or other purposes, subject to Applicable Law.

(Limits applied to Bluebird Account and linked Family Accounts, in aggregate)
Transaction Limits
Total Account Balance $100,000
Total Account Balance
(exclusive of Direct Deposit and Check by Mail) $10,000
Add Funds
Total Add Funds Transactions $100,000 per year
Direct Deposit $100,000 per year
Check by Mail $100,000 per year
Checking or Savings Account Up to $2,000 per month*
Add up to $10,000 per month combined
rightfold
*Debit Card(s) (in aggregate) Up to $200 per transaction
$200 per day; and
$1,000 per month*
Cash (includes Swipe Reload and Reload Packs) $2,500 per day**
$5,000 per month
*Bluebird-to-Bluebird Receive Money Transactions Up to $10,000 per month*
Add Checks with Mobile App $2,000 per day
$10,000 per month
Spend Money
Total Spend Money Transactions $100,000 per year
Merchant Transactions Up to $15,000 per month
Spend up to $15,000 per month combined
rightfold
Pay Bills $15,000 per month
($5,000 per month in the case of
non-registered payees)
Send Money Transactions $2,500 per transaction
$2,500 per month
ATM Withdrawals $750 per day
$2,000 per month
Bluebird Checks Subject to Total Account Balance and Add Money Limits

*May be further limited in circumstances in which we have not verified all of the identity and other personal information you have provided.

**Up to $1,999.99 per day at Walmart registers.

On the subject of goodwill? They are slowly becoming corrupt. They used to sell game cartridges and other cool items in their locations. Now it all gets sold online and you have to bid on it. Its bull.id rather go to estate sales then goodwill.

oh man, I give up. Who hasn't lost CC info in the last 2 years?

I think I'll stick with my BlueBird card or the like if I want to use a card at stores.

Think I'll stick with a normal credit card than pays me back 1% to 5% depending on what I buy.

If someone steals the number, it doesn't end up costing me anything, as they drop any disputed charges and send me a new card.

Don't see what the big deal is for the consumer.
As for the thieves, I think a drone strike would be an appropriate punishment.

Starting to feel the same. Or credit cards need to go to something like a 6 month expiration cycle.

The US is behind the rest of the world and just now planning the transition to the smartchip CC's. You may have noticed a lot of the big stores have started swapping out their swipe devices. Ironically, Target has had them for years.

It'll require a PIN to use the card.

Why aren't we drawing and quartering these pieces of garbage? I cannot stand crooks who decide that they need to help themselves to our hard earned money. Does anyone even want to actually earn a honest living anymore?

On the subject of goodwill? They are slowly becoming corrupt. They used to sell game cartridges and other cool items in their locations. Now it all gets sold online and you have to bid on it. Its bull.id rather go to estate sales then goodwill.

Yeah, I know, right.

And their furniture is priced so high that you might as well go buy brand new furniture.

They very rarely have anything worth buying in the store anymore.

oh man, I give up. Who hasn't lost CC info in the last 2 years?
The only time i had my identity stolen the person who was tracked down worked at my doctors office, person sold info to another party which took CC out in other peoples name with that info. Still took nearly a year of my life dealing with various government agencies to get a new social etc.

The US is behind the rest of the world and just now planning the transition to the smartchip CC's. You may have noticed a lot of the big stores have started swapping out their swipe devices. Ironically, Target has had them for years.

It'll require a PIN to use the card.

There are plenty of POS transactions that have forced me to use the smart chip reader on the device, not once have I been required to input my pin.

Can you blame them when people would rather steal a $2 game cartridge (back around 2000 to 2003ish) than pay the $2?

Sadly, I saw the after-effects of this way too often. The bastards would often leave the case laying around with the cartridge long gone.

Think I'll stick with a normal credit card than pays me back 1% to 5% depending on what I buy.

If someone steals the number, it doesn't end up costing me anything, as they drop any disputed charges and send me a new card.

Don't see what the big deal is for the consumer.
As for the thieves, I think a drone strike would be an appropriate punishment.

But there is a hidden cost. You think CC companies are generous enterprises?

Terrible that a nonprofit gets attacked like this; just goes to show that even they need to revamp their security protocols.

Back