Motorola Is Already Sold Out of Its Moto 360 Smartwatch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We really hope you weren't planning on being an early adopter, getting in ahead of the pack with the purchase of the newly released Motorola Moto 360 smartwatch, because sales went through the roof and the stocks have been depleted. Motorola will oblige you by putting your name on a waiting list and notify you as they become available.

I wanted to say I completely don't get this, but I hadn't even looked at it. So i went and looked and was quite shocked. A Smart watch that actually looks like a watch? Wait what? Well played Moto..well played. I still don't see much use for it "Personally" but at least someone designed one of these things not to be hideous.

Don't worry; there will be plenty of open-box ones that you can buy in a couple of days.

The company I work with snagged two of them - supposed to arrive on Sept 10. All of the other smart watches I have seen so far have not been very good (although I did like the Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit the best - it's simple, but has useful controls).
We want some on hand in case any customers want software developed. Not holding my breath :)

I enjoyed my galaxy gear for what it was. I will EVENTUALLY buy another smart watch. the LG G R looks pretty good as well. Will go with my LG G3 i should get to today. Smart Watches are just an accessory. Nothing more, Nothing less. You can easily live without cuff links. I prefer to have a few pair. I dont think i'd mind having a smart watch again.

I ordered mine before they sold out, so I'll have my first smart watch soon!

The others just didn't and don't look that good. Wireless charging is a must, for example. Just take the watch off and put it on the night stand till morning. Simple.

Does this watch spy on you? I would seriously be concerned that my life would be recorded 24/7 and sent to the NSA.

Does this watch spy on you? I would seriously be concerned that my life would be recorded 24/7 and sent to the NSA.

g1386626836635512749.jpg

Ordered mine from the Motorola online store, has an expected delivery date of 9/19. Friend did his through Best Buy online and his is saying shipped already :(

The watch is not going to allow any spying that your phone does not. The only difference is that you'll feel silly for having a watch that needs charging daily instead of never.

I honestly don't understand the appeal of these things. When people describe the value proposition is that you can look at your watch instead of your phone... come on. How lazy are we going to be? It smacks of hiring someone to bring you the remote control.

The watch is not going to allow any spying that your phone does not. The only difference is that you'll feel silly for having a watch that needs charging daily instead of never.

I honestly don't understand the appeal of these things. When people describe the value proposition is that you can look at your watch instead of your phone... come on. How lazy are we going to be? It smacks of hiring someone to bring you the remote control.

It's just tech anxiety. The average person look at their phone 120 times per day. That's a lot of grab handing at your phone. Here's some of the reasons I love my G Watch.

I love not having to fish my phone out of my pocket, turn it on, swipe notification bar, dismiss notification, turn phone back off, and insert back in pocket, and then do it all over again 5 minutes later.

Plus since most of the time I am sitting at a desk my pocket is flexed at a 90 degree angle forcing me to make a full body posture adjustment so I can slide my hand down in there.

I also like leaving my phone on silent mode 24/7 now never having to worry about it making noise at an inconvenient time.

And because I can leave it on silent all the time I can enable more notifications that I previously wouldnt since that would have just been annoying to deal with. I never had notifications for twitter enabled before, so I would just glance at timeline widget on occasion when I happened to have my phone in hand. Now I can just glance at my wrist to get a chuckle or two throughout the day.

Also sometimes my mind plays tricks on me and I think I may have felt a vibration or a jingle from a notification and I want to glance at my phone to make sure, only to see there was nothing there. Now I can just look left at my watch and feel safe knowing I havent missed anything.

I use Google reminders religiously now. Any time something pops up in my head from "remember to get a garden rake" to "remember to email Karen at 3pm" I can just flick my wrist and say it. Ordinarily I would not create so many reminders with my phone because once again grabbing my phone for all of that would just be annoying.

Voice to text is also incredibly more useful now. If I'm in my car grabbing my phone to send an SMS could be a real pain in the ass (and I would only use voice to do it since I dont text and drive). Now I can just say it to my watch, and also dismiss any messages I get while driving without being terribly unsafe like most people are.

The other day I'm in the president's office having a discussion when my wrist starts vibrating from a call from my g/f. It would have been slightly embarrassing to interrupt and say "oh hold on, let me just ignore this". Instead I just flicked the "dismiss" option on my watch, he never even knew.

I dont like having my phone in my pocket when I am at home, so I can continue to receive all alerts without hunting for my phone upstairs/downstairs.

While watching netflix movies on my Chromecast I can pause movies from my wrist without having to grab the phone from the ottoman/end table.

Ultimately think of it kinda like having a bluetooth earpiece accessory. Sure you dont need one, and some people dont even find one comfortable and would never use one, but for others the hands free operation of your phone can be a real convenience.

LOL... sold out of a 1st gen watch with the bottom 1/8th of the screen cut off. The LG one doesn't look quite as clean but at least you get a whole screen.

yawn, call me back when a smart watch basically replaces the need to carry my smartphone.

I actually don't understand the obsession with a circular screen. These things aren't meant to be watches, but more of a notification monitor. The screen should fit the function, so a round screen makes no sense, considering that it's meant to display far more than an analog watch face.

LOL... sold out of a 1st gen watch with the bottom 1/8th of the screen cut off. The LG one doesn't look quite as clean but at least you get a whole screen.

Dat bezel tho. The G Watch R ran into the same problems Moto did, they just decided to camouflage a radial bezel with the chrono markings, which looks like a kiddy casio sports watch to me. Also the screen real estate is smaller, 1.3in vs 1.5in. I think I'm going to get the 360 anyway and hope I can look past the flat tire since the watch itself is incredibly sexy looking otherwise.

I actually don't understand the obsession with a circular screen. These things aren't meant to be watches, but more of a notification monitor. The screen should fit the function, so a round screen makes no sense, considering that it's meant to display far more than an analog watch face.

The watch itself is still meant to be a watch first, and a notifier second. You wouldnt have a square clock in your living room any more than you should want a square watch either. There will never be enough room on your wrist to display meaningful content, so whether the interface is round or square should be irrelevant, it's just meant to get your attention. It's not like you're going to surf the internet and write [H] posts on your wrist.

I used my phone to get out of wearing a watch a long time ago.

If there was a demand for this, people would have had moderate success with crappier versions of this for a while now.

I should rephase that as any real practical based demand. I'm sure as a fashion statement it will be a smash until people get bored with it.

I used my phone to get out of wearing a watch a long time ago.

If there was a demand for this, people would have had moderate success with crappier versions of this for a while now.

You know I did the same too, and havent worn in a watch in 2 years. After getting the smart watch I realized just how often I was actually pulling out a phone just to see the time. How I had strategically positioned clocks around the office so I could always glance at those instead of my phone. How often I would look at the microwave to tell the time at home. I really kinda missed being able to use a watch, and if something happened to my G watch I'd probably go back to wearing some kind of watch all over again.

All this clueless "I don't get it herp derp"
reminds me of the brain surgeons that "didnt get" the iPad when it first came out.

I'll stick to my solar atomic G-Shocks, that's all the tech I need on my wrist.

Have a few friends that work in pharmaceutical labs where pulling out their cellphones would be impractical. A smart watch that can send and receive text messages would be really useful in that environment.

All this clueless "I don't get it herp derp"
reminds me of the brain surgeons that "didnt get" the iPad when it first came out.

Difference being we've had watches for hundreds of years.

Back