BBC Unveils New Computing And Coding Content For Kids

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is the kind of content we need for our children here in the states.

BBC Children’s and BBC Learning today announce a range of content across Bitesize, CBBC and CBeebies that will encourage children across the UK to get involved with computing and coding, with new education resources, lively television series, games and competitions.

Too bad we probably won't get it on BBC here.

And if a politician here tried to make it happen it would become a politicized battle and nothing would happen.

Would love to be wrong though.

I grew up with the C64, 128 and various Amiga's. Here in the US you always had to look to the UK for games or mail order or *other* means. The UK had programs like this back in 80's and 90's for the youth. You're right, never in America. Just like Arts and Music, there's no money in teaching kids this stuff. Get them a sub-par basic education and get them out the door asap.

I find that the BBC series Look Around You is highly informative in the sciences. I would highly recommend it.

;)

I grew up with the C64, 128 and various Amiga's. Here in the US you always had to look to the UK for games or mail order or *other* means. The UK had programs like this back in 80's and 90's for the youth. You're right, never in America. Just like Arts and Music, there's no money in teaching kids this stuff. Get them a sub-par basic education and get them out the door asap.

Sounds like we grew up in much the same way! I definitely had my share of Commodore/Amiga gear. There was a time that you could still buy Amiga games/applications locally (at least here in the Seattle area) but most of the time, for the good ones, you'd have to order from the UK.) There was also a place in Florida that imported a ton of this stuff. Can't remember the company's name at this point though. These computers definitely invited one to tinker though. Even if you weren't coding, you could still hack at things a bit easily enough with a ML Monitor. There was a lot of free/cheap graphic and music software too that encouraged creativity while still being reasonably powerful for the time.

I think I used the place in Florida a lot ... I remember a gruff voiced older guy that would take my order. I ordered there so much they started letting use personal checks over the phone, I think. This was 92 - 93' maybe.

Back