Bitcoin’s Earliest Adopter Is Cryonically Freezing His Body

HardOCP News

[H] News
Didn't a bunch of people do this back in the 80s?

Some bitcoin enthusiasts have used their cryptocurrency to travel around the world. Others have spent it on a trip to space. But the very earliest user of bitcoin (after its inventor Satoshi Nakamoto himself) has now spent his crypto coins on the most ambitious mission yet: to visit the future.

not sure what to say, RIP seems...pessimistic

he was a truly brilliant dude

Wonders if their hoping for a Star Trek future but in reality they'll get a Idiocracy version.

Please say HI to Ted Williams and Walt Disney for me!!

498421883729975271_UFw8_OQEK_c_large.jpg

Alcor doesn't store them in any sort of suspended animation, they're simply frozen with no brain activity.

Which brings to mind the famous 'transporter beam' dilemma....

Presuming the 'frozen' state really retains all the biological connections...your neuron connections would remain intact. So...a hundred years from now, they 'wake you up'...you've had no brain activity for a century, so it'd be pretty safe to say that your consciousness...the 'you' that is YOU, inside your head...is gone and doesn't come back. But the neuron connections, which retain "your memories", are still there.

So if they started up brain activity in the newly-unfrozen version of your body...that person would have all your memories. They'd think they WERE you. And nobody would be able to tell otherwise!

:eek:

My understanding was this stuff doesn't really work even in concept since the process of the water in your body expanding when frozen essentially rips your cells to pieces in a way that recovering you wouldn't really be possible.

My understanding was this stuff doesn't really work even in concept since the process of the water in your body expanding when frozen essentially rips your cells to pieces in a way that recovering you wouldn't really be possible.

from the article

As of Thursday night, Finney’s blood and other fluids were being removed from his body and slowly replaced with a collection of chemicals that Alcor calls M-22, which the company says are designed to be as minimally toxic as possible to his tissues while preventing the formation of ice crystals that would result from freezing and destroy his cell membranes.

who knows?

Some frogs can be 90-95 frozen through winter and servive. Its just a matter of time we figure out how they do it.

the no edit is just on front page news, I guess it it some kind of permanent record...I don't get it either

Even if it did work, I would not want to wakeup to a world in the future where every single person I know is dead. Imagine how lonely that would be. You would also be out of touch with everything that changed, small or big and it would be really hard to fit in and start a live again.

Even if it did work, I would not want to wakeup to a world in the future where every single person I know is dead. Imagine how lonely that would be. You would also be out of touch with everything that changed, small or big and it would be really hard to fit in and start a live again.
1) You'd be pretty famous
2) You could make new friends really fast

My issue is that I don't think it will work. Future people that figure out how to put people in cryostasis will laugh their asses off about how people of the past did it completely wrong which destroyed the tissue with no hope of recovery, or the people recovered end up as retards.

After all, they always hope there will be technological advancements that will allow them to unfreeze their bodies, but in reality the advancement may be in the freezing process in the first place and we're doing it completely wrong right now. That is, assuming that it even matters because all the cryotubes will be turned off due to the energy crisis of WW3 where the Eastern Coalition fights us.

Which brings to mind the famous 'transporter beam' dilemma....

Presuming the 'frozen' state really retains all the biological connections...your neuron connections would remain intact. So...a hundred years from now, they 'wake you up'...you've had no brain activity for a century, so it'd be pretty safe to say that your consciousness...the 'you' that is YOU, inside your head...is gone and doesn't come back. But the neuron connections, which retain "your memories", are still there.

So if they started up brain activity in the newly-unfrozen version of your body...that person would have all your memories. They'd think they WERE you. And nobody would be able to tell otherwise!

:eek:
Your "soul" or personality is merely the unique neural connections that formed inside your brain bucket, so you'd still be you. It doesn't matter how long its turned off, its still you.

That dilemma only exists if you believe in a religious version of a soul, rather than a simple biological one.

The real dilemma with Star Trek transporters is if you're still you, or rather just a copy. After all, if instead of beaming your "gunk" they instead just had a bucket of the components your body is made up of at the destination point to reassemble, you'd still be standing on the transporter pad and to avoid confusion of having two of you they'd just have a red shirt fire a phaser at you on highest setting to vaporize you. You're dead, but your copy on the surface lives on.

Wonders if their hoping for a Star Trek future but in reality they'll get a Idiocracy version.

Wonder until we get "Population warriors" that unplug the freezers carrying all these people who want to be "cured" in the future. This guy died, he's out of the population, the world has too many people as it is with no signs of slowing down, we don't need to bring dead people back to life.

That is, assuming that it even matters because all the cryotubes will be turned off due to the energy crisis of WW3 where the Eastern Coalition fights us.

Yep. If I was gonna freeze myself, I'd only do it if I was store in a self-sufficient underground bunker capable of surviving a nuclear holocaust (cause let's face it, we're gonna use them eventually.)

0hege5h.png

You could be sent to antarctica or better yet. Space. Wars or power outage might not be biggest initial worry, but rather if there will be anyone capable of thawing you correctly in future. Ww3 might send the world back to stone ages. Might not even be ww3 but rather the general population revolting against the rich and self appointed. Sooner or later its going to happen. Just when?

Some frogs can be 90-95 frozen through winter and servive. Its just a matter of time we figure out how they do it.

That's a good point, nature is already doing this stuff.

My only concern is whether we're getting the freezing process right at the moment

The only way we are going to know is to do this to someone that is living and has a strong body. They just need to start suspending that person over night, and work their way out.

It's the only way to be sure the process works.

The only way we are going to know is to do this to someone that is living and has a strong body. They just need to start suspending that person over night, and work their way out.

It's the only way to be sure the process works.
We already know it doesn't work, that's the sad part. Animal trials aren't successful. If it doesn't work on a pig, its not going to work on a human. They are hoping that future generations will be able to figure out how to bring them back to life and fix their medical problems. If I were the future population, I'd say screw that and unplug them, as the natural rate of population growth is already far too high, and will surely reach a critical point soon.

350px-Population_curve.svg.png

We've been relatively stable for thousands of years, but since the industrial revolution with no natural predators and virtually zero infant mortality rate with people living longer and longer, at some point something has to give. Popsicle people will be the least of their concerns... and if anything they may turn them into soylent green for school lunches.

Wood frogs. They do it by flooding their cells with sugar/piss.

We already know it doesn't work, that's the sad part. Animal trials aren't successful. If it doesn't work on a pig, its not going to work on a human. They are hoping that future generations will be able to figure out how to bring them back to life and fix their medical problems. If I were the future population, I'd say screw that and unplug them, as the natural rate of population growth is already far too high, and will surely reach a critical point soon.

350px-Population_curve.svg.png

We've been relatively stable for thousands of years, but since the industrial revolution with no natural predators and virtually zero infant mortality rate with people living longer and longer, at some point something has to give. Popsicle people will be the least of their concerns... and if anything they may turn them into soylent green for school lunches.
See above. Also, the world will have to adopt some kind of population law anyway. Preserving our greatest minds always makes sense. Instead we lose them to age - the oldest plague of life.

Not even sure we need to preserve the great minds.

Generally, their knowledge and skill-set are so specialized, that they never make any significant advancements much beyond their original breakthrough, which eventually has to expand and becomes obsolete. As people age, their "fluid" intelligence changes into "crystallized" intelligence, so they become very proficient at what they know but have great difficulty learning what they don't; so for a 40 year old man to learn a new language for example is extremely difficult whereas a child could pick it up (and the proper pronunciation) within a year or two with ease.

Life and death is how we evolve as a species, adapt, and learn more quickly. An overly long lifespan if anything I think would actually harm the evolution of the species. People just need to accept the cycle of life... and well, stop having so many damn children and wrap their peckers! :D

Back