DOT Proposes Mandating Cars Broadcast Location, Direction and Speed

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is actually moving ahead on this. The Department of Transportation announced back in December that it wanted black boxes in all new cars by next month by next month. :eek:

The "Basic Safety Message" will be broadcast by the vehicle's dedicated short-range communications system. According to NHTSA, this system will need to transmit certain specific information. "For example," says the technical report, "when a DSRC unit sends out a BSM, the BSM needs to: Contain the relevant elements and describe them accurately (e.g., vehicle speed; GPS position; vehicle heading; DSRC message ID, etc.)."

On the one hand it looks like a Privacy Issue, why would the information need to be broadcast and not simply stored on the device?

But if you take a longer view it might make better sense if you take into account Google's utopian future of self-driving cars.

Are they going to issue these before or after they send us our yellow patches we have to sew to our clothing?

THis would be a good idea for felons, but not for average Americans.
If these bastards want to track me down they can use my damn cell phone!

Because we have already had it proven and the proof shown to us in the last few months that the "internet of things" by having every device we own be connected or broadcasting something is totally unsecurable.

If we keep going down this road, in a few years we will have a "stalker's toolkit" that can be installed on a laptop or tablet and will sniff automatically and track a hundred different popular devices that the target may own or interact with in a day.

This isn't progress. It's a prison.

I can see it now...

I'm driving on the highway with a posted 65mph limit. I drive faster at 70mph. Cop pulls me over and tells me I was speeding and provides me the time and location of when I was speeding.

Can't really fight a ticket when cop has all the data from your car.

I can see it now...

I'm driving on the highway with a posted 65mph limit. I drive faster at 70mph. Cop pulls me over and tells me I was speeding and provides me the time and location of when I was speeding.

They won't even pull you over, it will just be mailed to your house, why pay for the officer when you can eliminate the position?

New cars suck and I wouldn't buy one anyway. Yes they have incredible engine technology and safety features, which is offset by the awful ergonomic design decisions and unnecessary tech knick-knackery. Fly-by-wire is terrible no matter how good a computer is at imitating feedback.

This is the insurance industry's lobby at work, so that when you crash they can say, "you were travelling at 36mph, the posted speed was 35mph, so you are not covered".

Because we have already had it proven and the proof shown to us in the last few months that the "internet of things" by having every device we own be connected or broadcasting something is totally unsecurable.

If we keep going down this road, in a few years we will have a "stalker's toolkit" that can be installed on a laptop or tablet and will sniff automatically and track a hundred different popular devices that the target may own or interact with in a day.

This isn't progress. It's a prison.

Agreed. Convenience is never provided without ulterior motives. This is something mankind will begin to learn at some great cost.

Agreed. Convenience is never provided without ulterior motives. This is something mankind will begin to learn at some great cost.

Captain America said it best in the last movie... this isn't freedom, this is fear. We're holding a gun to everyones head and are calling it freedom.

Things just get better and better for hackers. Now thieves can purchase realtime location data from hackers. New sources of revenue.

And if you WERE speeding, you are prepared to lie to the judge?

Considering the fact they'd have access to the data from your car, doesn't it seem wiser to suck it up, and pay your fine?

They won't even pull you over, it will just be mailed to your house, why pay for the officer when you can eliminate the position?

It'll just be growing pains.

See when that happens, the special people will want ot opt out. THat system will be equaly poorly secured as those that came before it, and on top of that will be hush hush secret.

Once that is in place, buying your way in, either through cronyism or via unlawful act will likely be readily available. Or you'll just clone transponder numbers or something. You know, because everyone verifies that the massive torrent of information spewed out by computers is 100% accurate all the time.

Did you fill out the proper flighplan for your car? Oh it says you were going to the grocery store but you stopped at a friends house on the way. You are in direct violation of of Code #12345 subsection B and will be fined for this offense. There has also been 1 point taken away from your license.

I'm so sick of all this automated warning and intervention systems. If these are required to reduce accidents, then maybe we should be more strict as to who we allow to drive.

I think the real reason for this is to start taxing people on the mileage they drive, which they have been testing in two states. The gasoline tax isn't going as far as it used to, so they want to make it up by further invading our privacy and double dip us for the privelige of driving. Being abused by the police and insurance companies are just side effect that also adds to the government's coffers through more tickets and lobbying money.

$100 says that while this will apply to us peons, for "security reasons", government representatives and their 1%er backers that vote this shit in will all be exempt, like the same people that have firearms in New York who don't even need them since they can afford security and live in afluent low-crime areas, while normal hard working citizens get the shaft.

Well, more than double dip, but you get the point. We already get slammed from Driver License fees, Registration fees, Gasoline tax, inspections (for those states that still have them), etc.

And if you WERE speeding, you are prepared to lie to the judge?

Considering the fact they'd have access to the data from your car, doesn't it seem wiser to suck it up, and pay your fine?

Which brings up the bigger issue, why is the speed limit still 65mph? Such a waste of time cruising at snail speed.

Good thing that 10 cents worth of aluminum foil wrapped around the transmitter's antenna will be able to defeat this new "feature."

I can see it now...hackers will come up with in-vehicle black boxes that will intercept the signal going to the transmitter and insert compliant data. Always transmit that you are driving 10MPH less than your are... or at exactly the posted speed limit.

Yet another idiotic idea thought up by our Gov't that will only add more expense on to already expensive cars.

I hope this get shot down, if not I will make sure to have a car that does not have a stupid box that big brother can monitor you. I can see they start charging for people driving too much, fucking liberals and the nanny state they want to create!

How else are they supposed to target you for a drone strike when you don't pay your 80% income taxes ...

Yet more crap shoved down our throats by these idiots in power, you see it all the time...hell look at the front page of [H], this iPad deal where the school district was in cahoots with CEO's to push a product no one wants and will make them rich so they can STAY in power. FFS, I really wish people would wake the hell up! Unfortunately, that's not going to happen as 75% of the population has a need to be ignorantly bliss. Heck, even one of the ladies at work didn't know the entire story about this Michael Brown incident and was out spouting how it's such a tragedy. I sent her a few links with the other side of the story and it was all of a sudden a different song and dance. To be clear; it IS a tragedy, an unfortunate one but one that could have been prevented. All of the fear mongering by the Sharptons and Farakkaunans only increases the dissent, which seems to be what they want. Push the people, divide them and then control them for their own good. Something really scary? They want to introduce a Federal overseeing office over local police...that is NOT good news for US the people. Yes, it is becoming a police state, I'm going to keep driving my 89 toyota truck and be happy with no emissions or monitoring. If an EMP goes off I might even be able to rip enough stuff out to still drive it!

Remember to vote!

When I was younger, all this futuristic stuff looked cool. Tracking cars so you know where things are for non-driver cars and flying cars and stuff. Then, I learned about government and Big Brother. Now, I don't know if I like that future or not. Good intentions, but the right people aren't in charge. Seems like it's more about control and power than convenience and for the good of the people.

Now, I wouldn't mind some science fiction style EMP's to take out all electronics and take us back to the 1800's....

I can see it now...

To be fair, they can already do that now. Your car already has a black box that already records all that info. I've fought off two tickets with the info on it.

Works both ways my friend.

They should just make a law that everyone in the Government has it on their vehicles for 1 year to test it out and see if it works well or not. Then after they do it we can decide if its what we want.

Which brings up the bigger issue, why is the speed limit still 65mph? Such a waste of time cruising at snail speed.

Because the odds of an accident and likelyhood of death skyrocket after 55?

That being said, most of NY is still at 55, and traffic blows by cops doing 75 all the time here on LI. As long as you can drive in a straight line, the cops really don't care.

Because flying through Utah (or Idaho) at 85 is fast enough. Some places I'd like to see go to 70 (Oregon, for example, on the straight roads just like WA). But, faster than that, it gets scary. Some people can do it, others are going that fast but are jerky with the wheel, tailgate, or slam on the brakes. They aren't good at driving fast. I am, though. Zoom, zoom, motherfuckers! (not really. I'm good, but I'm not a race car driver. Unless I've been drinking a lot, then I can drive really good really fast. Plus, if I do a little smack, I'm easily doing 120).

This would be the first thing I look up how to disable in my car. Even temorarily. Because we know inspections will require that this box be in place and reporting as function. It will be a case of. "Insert fuse" have inspection. Thank inspector. "Remove Fuse." Or if it comes to that. Disable the transmitter and only enable at the time of inspection.

Screw the transmission of data to registered receivers. I speed. If I am on a 60 I will do 63-65, if I am on a 75 I will do 78 and so on.

Florida's interstates are 70 MPH. State troopers have basically said that they don't care so long as you keep it <= 80... So I drive at 79 :p.

Because the odds of an accident and likelyhood of death skyrocket after 55?

That being said, most of NY is still at 55, and traffic blows by cops doing 75 all the time here on LI. As long as you can drive in a straight line, the cops really don't care.

Because flying through Utah (or Idaho) at 85 is fast enough. Some places I'd like to see go to 70 (Oregon, for example, on the straight roads just like WA). But, faster than that, it gets scary. Some people can do it, others are going that fast but are jerky with the wheel, tailgate, or slam on the brakes. They aren't good at driving fast. I am, though. Zoom, zoom, motherfuckers! (not really. I'm good, but I'm not a race car driver. Unless I've been drinking a lot, then I can drive really good really fast. Plus, if I do a little smack, I'm easily doing 120).

Which is more of an issue with the idiotic system of getting a license in the US. One of my friends got his license and he didn't even know how to check a blind spot correctly. I got my license through my high school where I did about 9 hours through a simulator and another 3 on the road, but even then it wasn't really that much. It's way too easy to get a license here.

Hell we just need our own Autobahn here in the US.
Make it right on the US/ Mexico border instead of a fence, 8 lanes of cars going 100+ mph.
Add in no manslaughter charges to hit people trying to cross and it'd be one hell of a deterrent to illegal immigrants trying to cross over from Mexico.

When I was younger, all this futuristic stuff looked cool. Tracking cars so you know where things are for non-driver cars and flying cars and stuff. Then, I learned about government and Big Brother. Now, I don't know if I like that future or not. Good intentions, but the right people aren't in charge. Seems like it's more about control and power than convenience and for the good of the people.

Now, I wouldn't mind some science fiction style EMP's to take out all electronics and take us back to the 1800's....

EMP bombs are not fictional anymore.

As long as it in no way transmits an unique vehicle identifier that ties you to the vehicle, this could actually be a useful thing.

Back