SilverStone SFX SX600-G 600W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
SilverStone SFX SX600-G 600W Power Supply Review - With many people looking for a smaller enthusiast computer system footprint, the size of a power supply gets very important. With SFF motherboards getting better for overclocking, many folks are looking for higher PSU powers for overclocking. SilverStone brings an SFX form factor 600 watt capable pint-sized PSU.

Pretty sure the NCase helped put this on the map....during the original NCase campaign demand for the 450 watt version was mega high and everyone was wanting more power.

This came out a bit too late for me but next iteration of my own case I'll have that PSU in it for sure.

I wasn't thrilled to see their concerns about quality and acoustics, however, considering there aren't any 600 watt sfx alternatives, I guess it's good enough. Will be getting one soon for my Ncase M1.

Seems good enough for me even with the short 3 year warranty. Fuck in 3 years who knows what I'll want. But it will be more advanced for sure.

Damn, I was hoping for this to be MUCH better acoustically than the ST45SF-G.

I am disappointed to read this as well, especially since initial user reports were very positive about the noise level (early release for Australian customers).

I haven't had the chance to do much with my M1 since building it, but the fan on my SX600-G barely comes on. So far I've only tested a short 10min BF4 session + leaving the PC running all day downloading so not much of a test really. My fan is mounted towards inside the case so it should be warm in there. When it does eventually come on it's very low RPM, I put my ear up to it with panels off and can't hear it at all. All I can hear is my loud ass GPU and the H60 pump, so hopefully people with watercooled GPUs can give a better indication. I can do some testing in a few days

i have noted now that when the temps are hovering at the point that the fan wants to come on it gets a little indecisive about turning on. i hear a couple of 'chirps' is it goes to start and then decides not to. the only reason i hear these chirps is that my 2.5" HDD isnt spinning at the time and im running super quiet fan profiles.

when the fan is on i can hear it (with only case fans running - NB eLoop PWM's) with my ear 30cm from the case but not from where i usually sit - which has the M1 on my left side, meaning the fan is directly exposed to the open air ad my ear.

its as quiet and as noticeable as the 120mm fan in my Silverstone Strider Gold 750w - which i think is goddamn amazing.

As much as it probably won't sell well in comparison to ATX numbers i'd love to see an incredibly high quality SFX Gold/Platinum fully modular power supply with all Nippon capacitors and overall really high quality. Bonus if it can fit a 120mm fan.

Nice review. Anybody have a picture of this thing next to a 'standard' size PSU for reference?

1408156524DO6MNYS7gs_3_5_l.jpg

1404094089NY1N84CSo9_3_6_l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of hard work there. Thank you. I found the sections on noise particularly useful. You indicate that the fan noise is related in part to the input voltage: do you have the ability to test at European voltage levels (220-240 Volts)? Could the noise be relieved by changing the fan? If so, how easy is it to change?

Could the noise be relieved by changing the fan? If so, how easy is it to change?

Fan is very easy to change, lots of people did the fan mod on the ST45SF-G. ModDIY even sells a sleeved adapter especially for this (2-pin micro PWM plug to 3-pin male fan header). Although obviously you break your warranty seal doing this.

Problem might be to find a fan that follows similar specifications as the stock ADDA AD0812UB-D91. I can't find good details on that component at all. For the ST45SF-G we used the Noiseblocker PC-P 80x15, it had the perfect voltage-to-rpms profile. But it would be lucky if that same one would work well in the new PSU.

Lots of hard work there. Thank you. I found the sections on noise particularly useful. You indicate that the fan noise is related in part to the input voltage

Yes, as indicated the sound at different AC input voltages did seem to vary.

do you have the ability to test at European voltage levels (220-240 Volts)?

We could use a step up transformer, but that does not replicate "European" electrical feeds exactly. That said, the apparent noise level was similar it just had a different sound at different AC input voltages.

Could the noise be relieved by changing the fan?

Perhaps, but then again you won't really know until you try. Noise is a very subjective thing even at the same volume and pitch. Everyone's senses are a bit different and that includes hearing.

If so, how easy is it to change?

Fairly simple as indicated above.

Excellent review, and overall fair assessment. I feel you do some of the best PSU reviews anywhere.

Thanks for the review, Paul and Kyle. I ordered mine from Amazon... should be here Friday for my NCase builde.

mmmmmmm

and $10 cheaper at Amazon than that omelet place

I might have to actually build my M1

Good review on the power supply. I don't understand why some companies feel compelled to save a few cents by using lesser quality components like capacitors or fans, This unit, loaded with the best capacitors with a better cooling design would be well worth a modest increase in price. I'm no electronic engineer, but for at least some of the capacitors could smaller POSCAPs be used instead to reduce bulk and enhance airflow?? Those types of improvements would make a good power supply great, IMO.

Back