I Owe My Career To Halo 2

HardOCP News

[H] News
The next time someone tells you that playing video games will never lead to anything, show them this article. :cool:

How'd you get into that?" This is the first question people ask when I tell them I’m in video production. My default response has become to explain that it was just a hobby, and then it turned into something serious. I don’t tell people the truth until I’ve known them a while. A video game got me started.

Wait, this guy was interested in something and it turned into his career? Wow, he's so special.

I wonder how many people got into computers or related fields because of video games? Count me as one of them. I liked computers, but it was when I found that could make my own games instead of just playing them (C64) that I really got into them. Even as I moved forward, gaming was a big push with my and computers. Networking? Doom on IPX/SPX. Programming? To make games. I make a fantasy baseball game in 1989 for my Freshman computer class. I tried making other games, but it was only BASIC, so they were very crude, but they worked. A lot of gamers learned about computers by wanting a better gaming machine. Build their own, upgrade parts, learn what does what, fix it themselves.

Why is he ashamed that a video game got him started on that? It's the story of so many people. A lot of game designers were so involved with Doom level design, that they made it a career. It's something to be proud of, not embarrassed about.

I don't think there's anything exceptional about a hobby helping to develop skills that lead let a vocation. Part of my personal interest in computers was related to gaming and as I explored more that lead to the development other skills.

Of course that was many years ago well before the Internet, graphical operating systems, etc. and it took much more skill to simply operate a computer. Now things are so much more developed that simply using a computing device or playing games doesn't necessarily lead to the development of other skills.

My younger cousin could relate with the Halo 2 part of this. That game launched his professional career as a MLG elite gamer. He's been a top gamer for years now and owes that to this and a handful of other games.

My son almost failed high school because of hallo and hallo 2.. go figure. :)
We took games away and grades went up, when the grades came up, out came the xbox. He had friends who's parents actually allowed them to skip school to play hallo 2 or 3 when it first came out, for us this was not acceptable. I dont believe any of his friends ended up like this guy either.
Stories like this are nice, but it should be more about drive and persistence to peruse something you love, not a misleading headline about playing a video game landed me a career job.

I got my first it job because i played paintball with someone that used to work for the organization and was still friends with the bosses. Someone quit, paintball friend called me up to let me know. I applied rocked the interview and after two years of part time i got a full time job there.

Network does work, and sometimes in odd ways.

If it weren't for computer games, I wouldn't be were I am today in the knowledge and experience I have.

You know, now that I think about it maybe I do owe my career in IT to video games.
All those hours playing Adventure on the Atari 2600. Maybe that had something to do with my long run in IT.

I probably don't want my son killing me in my sleep....

People often wonder how serial killers and anarchists start out.

Don't know about that. Who knows what this dad did/didn't do prior to this; if this is an all of a sudden response, I would say bad parenting. If they have escalated the issue over time, yes this is appropriate. If you're out of high school, not going to school and not looking for a job...I'd say the kid is lucky just to have the games shredded and this is a good reality check. And an 18 year old kid freaking out like a 2 year old...yeah. Gives gamers a bad name.

Back