Women Significantly Outnumber Teenage Boys In Gamer Demographics

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did you hear that? Women significantly outnumber teenage boys in gamer demographics. Wait, what definition of "gamer" are we using here?

Adult female gamers have unseated boys under the age of 18 as the largest video game-playing demographic in the U.S., according to a recently published study from the Entertainment Software Association, a trade group focused the U.S. gaming industry. While men still account for the majority of the U.S. gaming population, the number of women playing games on both consoles and mobile devices is up to 48 percent, from 40 percent in 2010.

Never tell me the odds... that that female night elf I'm hitting on isn't legal or even a female.

One of the problems I see with that article is that it fails to differentiate the types of games into the appropriate demographics, instead assuming that all demographics apply to all games. But games like candy crush saga have a different demographic base when compared to games like Assassin's (I said ass twice) Creed. Sure they may over lap. People who play Assassin's Creed may play Candy Crush, but they do it for different experiences.

That is probably one of biggest things I have seen when it comes down to journalism about gaming, even in supposed gaming journalism.

Are we really considering women who play Candy Crush and other casual games "gamers"? I certainly wouldn't.

Civilization 5 played for three hours != Farmville played inbetween thumbing up posts on facebook.

Actual female gamers are like male models. They are rare unicorns you won't meet on a daily basis and are usually gay.

Yeah, if you consider people who play Farmville/Mob Wars/Candy Crush/Angry Birds/whatever "gamers" then yes, it's amazing what it does to the statistics.

IMHO, nothing Zynga or the likes produce qualifies as a real game.

Civilization 5 played for three hours != Farmville played inbetween thumbing up posts on facebook.

Actual female gamers are like male models. They are rare unicorns you won't meet on a daily basis and are usually gay.

Three hours? That's it? :p

14812697339_6e12c95753_z.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041041806 said:
Yeah, if you consider people who play Farmville/Mob Wars/Candy Crush/Angry Birds/whatever "gamers" then yes, it's amazing what it does to the statistics.

IMHO, nothing Zynga or the likes produce qualifies as a real game.

Beat me to it..but y ea if you count garbage like the above then yea bored housewives are the majority of the gamer demographic at this point. I'm pretty certain none of them consider themselves gamers and Gamers sure as hell don't consider them gamers.

Are we really considering women who play Candy Crush and other casual games "gamers"? I certainly wouldn't.

and many of them certainly don't WANT to be labeled as "gamers"

still, there is at least something there if they spend their cash on these phone games.

but its like comparing a person who occasionally drives to the mall on Saturdays to a professional racer.

it's all about the cookie run now... hey, I guess it's better than eating actual cookies. Remember Pac Man... tons of chicks dig that one too... It's all about food, gulping thing down...

"Counting women who play games on their phones as 'gamers' is like calling a man who can make cereal a cook."

Most people wouldn't but journalists are oftentimes plain stupid.

Yeah, let's make an artificial barrier to games so that people who aren't hardcore enough don't get the designation! That way, we can exclude them for unknown purposes.

Also, comparing all women to just teenage boys seems pointless. What is the purpose in doing that?

Zarathustra[H];1041041819 said:
Three hours? That's it? :p

14812697339_6e12c95753_z.jpg

Yep, I'm somewhat embarrased to admit that I have over 1150 hours in civ 5.

I think we should definitely count these ladies as gamers -- just call them light gamers. And really, sometimes people spend quite a few hours on these smaller games, so some of them would qualify as hardcore in my mind, they just have a different preference in genre.

This makes sense. In the last decade I've seen stupid little games installed on computers as one of the main causes of malware, games along the lines of Candy Crush, Slot Machine games, etc. It's almost always women, up to and including grandmas, who install this shit. And now they are installing it on their phones too.

Yeah, let's make an artificial barrier to games so that people who aren't hardcore enough don't get the designation! That way, we can exclude them for unknown purposes.

How else are guys who spend much of their free time playing video games going to feel special aside from having an exclusive categorization in which to put themselves?

Also, comparing all women to just teenage boys seems pointless. What is the purpose in doing that?

I think it was done to upset people. :D

If you actually read the article most of these things are pointed out by them. They specifically mention the biggest reason for this shift is smartphone/mobile gaming, and never claimed otherwise. I agree comparing teenage boys to ALL women above 18 is a bit silly, but that's the kind of stuff that makes headlines (and without that headline I bet [H]ardOCP wouldn't have even linked to the story)

The definition of gamer is "someone who plays games" so yes they are gamers. Most people wouldn't think of them as "gamers" though, since our society basically has 2 stereotypes for gamers to fit into; nerds who have never seen the sun or a girl, and half-drunk college "bros" playing Madden or Halo.

I think a more interesting study would be comparing the demographics specifically for PC/console gaming, and specifically for mobile gaming. They are both gaming and they both make a lot of money, but the experience of the two is radically different.

I think a more interesting study would be comparing the demographics specifically for PC/console gaming, and specifically for mobile gaming. They are both gaming and they both make a lot of money, but the experience of the two is radically different.

Yeah, I would group the categories as:
  • PC Gaming
  • Console gaming
  • Mobile/Flash/Facebook gaming

or go by genre as follows
  • First Person shooter
  • MMORPG
  • Strategy
  • Platform
  • Mobile/Flash/Facebook

That would make it more interesting.

At least split the low investment fast to market light games from the epic blockbuster ones, as they tend to have very different demographics.

I thought women on the internet were just a myth! I'd prefer more women gamers over 13 year old boys who whine while playing games with voice chat...

I thought women on the internet were just a myth! I'd prefer more women gamers over 13 year old boys who whine while playing games with voice chat...

Since the article clearly pointed out that this is only due to mobile games, stuff like Tetris, i'm curious how this applies to "women on the internet" or "games with voice chat". Let me guess... didn't read the article? :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like they polled teenage boys in the class of "have a hard on every 5 minutes" which means they had other pursuits.

Well from a marketing perspective, this information is helpful to figure out what ads to put in these mobile games.. after all, the woman's age group does spend 31% more real cash in these games and return to them 42% more frequently then others.. That's about all I take from this..

The problem is that feminist/SJWs don't differentiate between gamer types when they use these numbers when they're backing their flawed logic.

Since the article clearly pointed out that this is only due to mobile games, stuff like Tetris, i'm curious how this applies to "women on the internet" or "games with voice chat". Let me guess... didn't read the article? :rolleyes:

No it was a joke. Most people seem to say that anytime there's anything related to women, games, and thus internet. The games with voice chat was slightly unrelated but related to the fact that women playing more games would be better than 13 year olds playing more games. Even if it just starts with mobile games. Once you get them hooked it's only a small jump to Steam based awesomeness.

Also the article states "women playing games on both consoles" as well so that doesn't sound like "only due to mobile games"

I know that I can't compete against all of the women, playing candy crush on the subway.

If you use the term gamer in the broadest terms, that is, It covers casual gamers, Core gamers, Hardcore gamers, etc... Then yes it would. Casual gamers usually being people that occasionally play a computer/console game, or play phone/tablet games.

Personally, I look at it this way. People that only plays games like candy crush and angry birds are to gamers, what a mini-golf player is to a golfer.

Back