Six Million Cars Now Running NVIDIA Processors

HardOCP News

[H] News
An exquisite interior crafted from recycled materials. A carbon fiber passenger cell built with renewable electricity. And a hybrid system that lets drivers shift from all-electric cruising to street-scorching performance with a flick of the wrist. With the new BMW i8, green has just met mean. With the first owners getting their cars last weekend, BMW’s new plug-in hybrid sports car is now hitting the streets in the U.S. And – as anyone who has caught a glimpse of the i8 even in pictures knows – it’s gorgeous. But the story here is about more than this coupe’s striking looks and aggressive stance.

The i8 offers a peek at the future of driving – a future that’s packed with plenty of computing power to go along with the i8’s ample horsepower. This is where we come in. We’ve come a long way since our first GPU appeared in a car back in 2007. The BMW i8 is the latest in a string of new vehicle introductions this year that have helped us hit the milestone of six million NVIDIA-powered cars on the road.

I wonder if you start up the car you hear that whisper "nvidia" through the speakers?

I'd rather have a large car display that supports screen mirroring from my phone. That way the car unit doesn't become obsolete and I only have to worry about upgrading one piece of equipment.

BACK2.jpg

That is one ugly ass car.

So, infotainment screens are run off GPUs? Got it. Very newsworthy.
That would be news, but those infotainment systems mentioned in the articles are more likely running on Tegra processors than GPUs. :p

That would be news, but those infotainment systems mentioned in the articles are more likely running on Tegra processors than GPUs. :p

That's why I said the screens and not the whole system. :cool:

Hmm that's a new one, I didn't even know that cars were using GPUs, learn something every day I suppose!

A random reboot while driving leads to the gren Nvidia logo popping up on your hud causing you to crash.....
It'd be like Windows 95 with bodies everywhere!

That's why I said the screens and not the whole system. :cool:
The screens are "running" on a controller which interfaces to a transmitter on the Tegra SoC, and it's not correct to call a SoC a GPU. From one wrong to two. Want to try for 3? :p

6 Million huh? And not a single damn one is SLI Capable...

Imagine
2 Civics in SLI > Ferrari 348GT

Back