Chromecast Extension Makes All YouTube Videos AutoPlay

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are embedded YouTube videos automatically playing on every site you visit? Are you are a Chrome user with the Chromecast extension installed? You'd better read this for a rundown on what's going on.

The YouTube team confirmed that there was a bad push yesterday which caused this issue to be triggered. There is a fix being qualified and that is scheduled to be pushed today that will correct this issue. Closing this issue for now, since there's not a Chrome issue here in any event. Thanks to everyone for reporting this issue.

Seldom have I ever purchased a product that had so much promise but so little use. It seems like this product is purposely hamstrung.

Seldom have I ever purchased a product that had so much promise but so little use. It seems like this product is purposely hamstrung.

Still waiting for Twitch support before I buy another one.

Works ok for throwing netflix up on the living room TV, but other than that, doesn't see much use.

I dont inderstand the gray bar at the bottom of the screen after the slider.

Everytime i click somewhere in it, thinking that ive already downloaded that part of the video, it rebuffers.

Also, if i click earlier in the red video part that i have already watched, it rebuffers.

Wtf is the point of these parts of the ui?

Works great on iphones though.

Looks like the issue has been fixed.. at least for me, anyway.

Grabbed a Chromecast for testing at home while we think about cutting the cord.. and honestly find myself going back to Plex. One of the things I've found is that in their "wisdom" you have to be connected to the same wireless router (or at least SSID). In our house I actually run 2 different SSID networks just as a backup because for some reason the laptops will occasionally drop the connection to one and it's easier to switch over temporarily until I get a chance to reboot the wireless router in the office area. Our phones also switch over depending on signal strength, so while the Chromecast is tied to one router, my phone that was working 5 minutes ago might have changed to the other router and now it can't find the Chromecast again.. even though the DHCP address are all managed by a single DHCP server with the same subnet, etc.

The other issues is it works for me, but I'm not really big on giving my kids my phone to control what they want to watch... so something with a dedicated remote works better for a family IMO...

Back