Gaming Not The Most Important Thing In My Life

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy says that gaming is not the most important thing in life. Duh, everyone knows that. Building the perfect computer to play those games is the most important thing in life. :D

Gaming isn't the most important thing in my life. When someone tells me that gaming is their one passion, the most important thing they do and something that informs who they are as a person? I want to help them find more balance. I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore by most litmus tests, and that's OK. It makes me better at my job.

... Wasting time creating an article about how gaming isnt the most important thing in your life is even more ridiculous than gaming being the most important thing in your life.

Personally I wouldn't have a career in computers if it wasn't for gaming at the beginning. Was really my only reason for getting into computers back in the mid-90's...gaming!

I wouldn't be where I'm at today (career, money, life) without gaming. Gaming has definitely been a positive in my life.

It was gaming that drove me to learn how my 386 worked, what the autoexec.exe and config.sys were, how to replace cards and memory, and took me from an IT ignorant to an IP Professional.

This guy must have taken a different route in life.

I only game when intoxicated, can't be that important to me :-p

... Wasting time creating an article about how gaming isnt the most important thing in your life is even more ridiculous than gaming being the most important thing in your life.

Except his job is to write articles about gaming, so that does make it a valid topic :cool:

People like to forget that the term fans is derived from Fanatic (which is essentially a form of insanity) ... hobbies are great and balance in life is highly desirable ... my kids (who are in their late teens and twenties) still play games a fair amount ... they also have lots of other interests (hanging out with friends, playing pool, playing soccer, etc) ... I don't get to play games as often as I would like (too many other things competing for my highly valuable and limited free time) but it is a nice activity when I can afford the time (or when I get a nice new program) ...

people also need to learn to not take things so personally ... I can't stand console gaming but I don't care whether or not other people do or not (if they do that's great ... if they don't, that's great too) ... some of the high profile games that people love I find Meh (and vice versa) ... I like to think it doesn't make me an inherently bad person because I don't like Grand Theft Auto (liking it certainly doesn't make a person good by default either) ... the ironic part though is that his article will likely fall on deaf ears, as the 100% gaming crowd don't believe in balance ;)

Gaming is like anything else you take into your life. It can be a part of you or you could become a part of it.

Seeing as how the members of polygon do everything in their power to bring as much non-gaming elements to gaming, I have zero respect for them. They don't care about games, this "opinion" piece is their mission statement. They are the same as Kotaku that their leadership came from, except with some progressive righteousness persona attached. They are the kind of people that stand by the claim that those playing farmville = gamers.

And that's me being reserved in my opinion...

More ridiculous that taking the time to comment on it? :p

My only problem with the article is that it states the obvious, I mean really, too much gaming is not healthy? Gee, I didn't know lol.

I definitely enjoy gaming still, just don't find myself with nearly as much time to play it, and it's much harder for a game to pull me in for extended periods of time than they used to. Also, have a hard time finding the patience with multiplayer games due to many of the sociopaths playing them - racists, pks, griefers, insane voice comms, you name it.

This sums it up pretty well: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

This reminds me of a comic from The Oatmeal :cool: ... http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

:D

I definitely enjoy gaming still, just don't find myself with nearly as much time to play it, and it's much harder for a game to pull me in for extended periods of time than they used to. Also, have a hard time finding the patience with multiplayer games due to many of the sociopaths playing them - racists, pks, griefers, insane voice comms, you name it.

This sums it up pretty well: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

I was running low on caffeine ... I didn't notice you posted the link already ... I agree, that sums it up very well :D

1. Sex
2. Sandwich
3. Building your dream gaming PC
4. Playing games
5. Goto 1

I've always liked computer stuff, but not for games. There was little while when I played sort of seriously and was semi good at it, but that was just so I had something in common with a certain other person. It turned out to be a huge waste of my life when there were lots better things to do with myself and constantly struggling to stay thin while also living in a chair doing nothing all the time was seriously a pain. It's still fun to play the occasional game, but I have to pick between things that keep me healthy or things that are sedentary. Since I write at the keyboard a lot already, games just don't really have a big place in my life.

Games are fun but honestly? Its a time waster. My latest gaming pc will be my last.

"I have things to see, people to do!"

Reading these posts (including mine), clearly [H]'s demographic is trending older...going to start seeing overclocking articles on the latest Hoverounds? :D

I only play cinematic games now like MGS and Uncharted. It's pointless to play something unless there is a story to drive you.

Gaming is my passion. It didn't stop me from graduating in college or having a job, and IMO that's all that matters. As long as a person is able to carry out his necessary responsibility in life, how he spends his free time is completely up to each individual.

I think many people tend of have this misguided idea that people have to spend their leisure time doing certain things that are common in society, otherwise something is wrong. I've heard many times people saying you should go out more often, hang out with friends, go travelling, don't spend too much time on gaming, etc.

I haven't played a game in so long I forgot how long it really has been. Maybe this winter when I build a Haswell-E system. That, or just burn down my house for the insurance money and move to Bolvia and do ayahuasca until I meet god.

Being a regular reader of [H] for years and yet sometimes the news posted make me feel so sad. Like watching tv sad. That kind of sad...

What does it matter if you watch a movie, play a game, read a book or whatever? Somehow video games are more of a time-waster? Really.

+1 pretty much all of these posts. I may not be a Software Engineer if it weren't for being introduced to PC gaming on a 386. Since graduating university several years ago, I've found that all I have time for is occasionally re-visiting some old games. There is no time to pick up a new game, learn it, and pwn noobs. More accurately, I'd rather do something else now :p

I think it may be that non-career people satisfy their 'esteem' (see Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs) through online gaming. I'd much rather kick ass at work.

Back